Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 10:38 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Inference? I assume you either mean assistance or interference?

From a practical standpoint, it really wouldn't be that difficult for a private company to build highways in terms of raising the capital to build them and maintain them. I mean, Warren Buffet and his company have plenty of capital to build pretty much anything.
I don't think they have enough to build the entire system and nobody wants to have the entire system consisting of toll roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What about Sweden, Finland, and Denmark? They've managed to sustain a high standard of living without the dependency of oil. Besides, Norway is investing in its population by investing in education, so that its citizens can prepare for post oil boom.
They also have REGRESSIVE tax systems. I'm on board with implementing both a REGRESSIVE tax system in the U.S., and a much better public education system instead of the one we have now in which the top and middle students are pulled down to make educational outcomes "more fair" and PC.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
The problem is that American income is mal-distributed and allocated. How about we shrink the military budget and direct funding to social programs.
How is $1+ trillion per year spent on 80+ means-tested public assistance programs inadequate?

Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Fine with me. We should defund the military so that it can only afford to defend our borders. Close down all foreign bases, wars, "actions", etc. Military spending is completely out of control and is nowhere even close to the spending of any other nation on earth.
I completely agree. The reason other countries spend so much less on their own defense is because they rely on the U.S. to be the world's police and step in whenever there's a threat. They get the advantage of free national defense. We bear the cost. That has to end. Period.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:03 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
I don't think they have enough to build the entire system and nobody wants to have the entire system consisting of toll roads.

Nobody? I like the idea of no "taxation", but rather "fees for services". As one is a form of extortion and the other is free market. So to me, bring on the tolls. Then I can freely choose whether or not I wish to pay for a road or not.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It would be a toll road. Instead of paying the government you pay a private company + some profit for the investors. It may or may not be cheaper to use a toll road.
Exactly. Such already exists in the U.S. For example, the Chicago Skyway is a toll road owned by foreign investors.

USATODAY.com - Foreign companies buying U.S. roads, bridges

Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
The truth is, without the government nobody has enough money to build a highway system.
Entirely false. Foreign investors have the capability. Users pay tolls accordingly. That's actually the most efficient funding scheme: those who use, pay. The European social democracy countries have already figured that out. Those who use public resources the most in those countries also bear the highest tax burden via a REGRESSIVE tax system:

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

The liberal case for regressive taxation

Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They also have REGRESSIVE tax systems. I'm on board with implementing both a REGRESSIVE tax system in the U.S., and a much better public education system instead of the one we have now in which the top and middle students are pulled down to make educational outcomes "more fair" and PC.
They have VATs, and their tax is progressively distributed.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
No, it isn't. Pay careful attention to the charts:

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

Old 09-13-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:

Do you realize that the chart you posted proves my point? The U.S. has a positive progressivity value while European countries have a NEGATIVE progressivity value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies