Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
They don't deserve a raise. They deserve to be promoted up the ladder only after proving they are hard worker's and are high achievers with the singular goal of total customer satisfaction. They do not deserve a raise for merely being on the payroll. Anything short of being a high achiever deserves not one additional penny, but liberals and Democrats don't understand that and instead believe demagoguery and protest is the best way to earn more money.

America is now the country of the lowest common denominator courtesy of Democrats, liberals, and other losers. And that's why America is circling the drain faster and faster with every passing day.
The only problem is that there is no promotion up the ladder anymore. There is a dearth of good jobs, and it's due to automation and offshoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went to Wal-Mart and Hardees this morning. I tried to get some deli meat at Wally World, and the clerk was very surly. Only one line was open, backed up with customers, and the cashier there was also very unfriendly. The Hardees was unclean and I ordered a chicken biscuit, and ended up with sausage. If these people can't do better than this, why do they deserve a raise?
Ok, so let's say the three people you mentioned don't deserve a raise. What about minimum wage workers who come in every day, work hard, do a good job, don't have any other alternatives, and still can't make ends meet?

Do they deserve a raise?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:29 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok, so let's say the three people you mentioned don't deserve a raise. What about minimum wage workers who come in every day, work hard, do a good job, don't have any other alternatives, and still can't make ends meet?

Do they deserve a raise?
Emigrations is busy. He's at Home Depot berating a 16-year-old kid who doesn't know when the next shipment of wood glue is coming in.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:15 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Do they deserve a raise?
There are always alternatives for those who seek opportunity and are willing to work for it.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:22 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
I went to Wal-Mart and Hardees this morning. I tried to get some deli meat at Wally World, and the clerk was very surly. Only one line was open, backed up with customers, and the cashier there was also very unfriendly. The Hardees was unclean and I ordered a chicken biscuit, and ended up with sausage. If these people can't do better than this, why do they deserve a raise?
Because they "work," they will tell you. Anyone who "works" deserves a "living wage."

Old 09-19-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The cashier doesn't determine how many lines are open.
I don't think he meant to imply that, nor did he imply it. You read that into his post.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
They don't deserve a raise. They deserve to be promoted up the ladder only after proving they are hard worker's and are high achievers with the singular goal of total customer satisfaction. They do not deserve a raise for merely being on the payroll. Anything short of being a high achiever deserves not one additional penny, but liberals and Democrats don't understand that and instead believe demagoguery and protest is the best way to earn more money.

America is now the country of the lowest common denominator courtesy of Democrats, liberals, and other losers. And that's why America is circling the drain faster and faster with every passing day.
Do not separate "liberals", "Democrats" and "other losers." They are one and the same.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:33 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
There are always alternatives for those who seek opportunity and are willing to work for it.
That's a very general statement and like most of its kind - false.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:38 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
You'd be unhappy too if corporations prevented you from gaining the skills needed throughout your life and forced you into low income servitude for the rest of your life.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:46 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times
Quote:
Yes, how else do you think this works? Do you think that Wal-Mart leaves its managerial and other leadership positions unfilled and instead focuses on the "underlings?"

I don't know how old you are, but you demonstrate what appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means to work for company.
You've completely and utterly missed the point. My point was that there simply aren't enough positions for every single minimum wage worker to be promoted, which means that the majority don't get promoted, which means your argument about it being a 'start' or some sort of huge opportunity for advancement is weak and irrelevant for the majority. Most of these positions are dead ends that will only ever lead to more and more dead ends.

What's more is that if someone doesn't have managerial experience, then even if they have extensive knowledge of the workplace and could easily do the job, corporate will bring in someone with experience from elsewhere. Corporate doesn't have any kind of relationship with the people working for them-- they look at resumes, not people. And so the people at the bottom stay at the bottom.

A number of great people end up working under totally lazy morons who mostly concentrate on getting everyone else to do their jobs for them. The people at the bottom have no chance of being rewarded, no chance for advancement, and no way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies