Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 02:01 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
White people generally grow up in communities that respect law enforcement -- or more specifically -- law and order. We want to live in communities where our property is respected, and laws are enforced in order to protect our welfare, assets, and those around us.

Blacks, on the other hand, tend to be raised in communities where the police and other forms of authority are vilified, and cooperating with them, unfortunately, is considered "acting white". And before you or anyone calls me a racist for saying that, I will have you know that my black co-worker, who I get along with just fine, is the one who enlightened me to this, and he told me himself that "you can take a thug out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the thug" when describing the people he grew up with.

See the difference? Whites ARE less likely to be shot during police confrontations, because they tend to be less impulsive and while they may be argumentative at times and resist, they rarely attack police officers. And even if they do attack an officer, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone -- including whites -- coming to his defense and burning down neighborhoods in his memory. Whites know that attacking an officer is paramount to suicide. Isn't that obvious?
And your evidence is that one black co-worker you have?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:03 PM

998 posts, read 665,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
And your evidence is that one black co-worker you have?
Evidence of what precisely? Is a black man not to be trusted?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:36 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
White people generally grow up in communities that respect law enforcement -- or more specifically -- law and order. We want to live in communities where our property is respected, and laws are enforced in order to protect our welfare, assets, and those around us.

Blacks, on the other hand, tend to be raised in communities where the police and other forms of authority are vilified, and cooperating with them, unfortunately, is considered "acting white". And before you or anyone calls me a racist for saying that, I will have you know that my black co-worker, who I get along with just fine, is the one who enlightened me to this, and he told me himself that "you can take a thug out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the thug" when describing the people he grew up with.

See the difference? Whites ARE less likely to be shot during police confrontations, because they tend to be less impulsive and while they may be argumentative at times and resist, they rarely attack police officers. And even if they do attack an officer, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone -- including whites -- coming to his defense and burning down neighborhoods in his memory. Whites know that attacking an officer is paramount to suicide. Isn't that obvious?
I'm not talking about who has more respect for the police. I am talking about everything in terms of ceteris paribus. I am talking in terms of everything being the same, only the ethnicity being different.

And by the way, this is where the argument falls apart.

1) Last time I checked, it is mainly poor, working poor, and underclass Blacks who grow up in places where respect for the police is low. It is that segment of the Black population who grows up that way. And by that very argument.

2) You talk as if only White people want to live in communities with law and order. If this was the case, why is it that so many Blacks who have the resources flee from areas of high crime?

Pulling that "my Black co-worker said" is a stupid idea.

Again, you are missing my point, or you are just ignoring it all together. No one is arguing whether or not Blacks are more likely to resist arrest or not. People are talking about what happens to Blacks vs Whites on the occasion that persons of both races resist arrest. I've literally been in front of a White guy, weightlifter and drunk, in his early 20s, who got belligerent with the police. The officer just told him to go home.

Your "difference tells me nothing". You are comparing apples to oranges. This "Blacks bad, Whites good" is a joke. I am speaking in terms of Black criminal vs White criminal. What is the difference between CRIMINALS?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM

998 posts, read 665,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not talking about who has more respect for the police. I am talking about everything in terms of ceteris paribus. I am talking in terms of everything being the same, only the ethnicity being different.

And by the way, this is where the argument falls apart.

1) Last time I checked, it is mainly poor, working poor, and underclass Blacks who grow up in places where respect for the police is low. It is that segment of the Black population who grows up that way. And by that very argument.

2) You talk as if only White people want to live in communities with law and order. If this was the case, why is it that so many Blacks who have the resources flee from areas of high crime?

Pulling that "my Black co-worker said" is a stupid idea.

Again, you are missing my point, or you are just ignoring it all together. No one is arguing whether or not Blacks are more likely to resist arrest or not. People are talking about what happens to Blacks vs Whites on the occasion that persons of both races resist arrest. I've literally been in front of a White guy, weightlifter and drunk, in his early 20s, who got belligerent with the police. The officer just told him to go home.

Your "difference tells me nothing". You are comparing apples to oranges. This "Blacks bad, Whites good" is a joke. I am speaking in terms of Black criminal vs White criminal. What is the difference between CRIMINALS?
My black co-worker who grew up in the ghetto and whose real life experiences don't fit the narrative that "white cops are racist" is an idiot, and not worth mentioning. Got it.

Did the drunk weightlifter charge the policeman and go for his service weapon?

You are the one comparing apples with oranges. There is a major difference with a person being belligerent with the police, and violently assaulting the police.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
. I am speaking in terms of Black criminal vs White criminal. What is the difference between CRIMINALS?
There is no difference.

My husband policed in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee for years. Mostly white. Trash is trash regardless of color. Those raised without respect for ANY authority figures (including parents, teachers and LE) are all the same. Criminals are all criminals. All loud mouths., All braggers who (mostly) can't back up their big talk. All with no self-awareness, no respect, no self-respect, little problem solving capacity, no caring or empathy for how their acts affect others, little intellectual capacity and with very very few who will ever turn themselves into contributing and positive members of society.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:48 PM

779 posts, read 632,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
really? you think the Michael Brown case was an overly excessive use of force?

you rather have the criminal who had a weight advantage over the cop to take down the officer and take his gun?

how many benefit of the doubt and instruction to stand down must the police give the attacker before he uses his gun to defend his life? when the police gets killed by his own gun at the hands of his attacker?

how a black community ignoring the facts and destroying their town helps in this situation so this won't happen again?
You like to equate trains of thought that don't go together or necessarily lead from one to the other.

Thinking that perhaps the proof, which has been interpreted in more than one way based on evidence and witnesses, makes it seem as if a **** to the head was not the only way to end the confrontation and if that it's true then, yes, I do think it was excessive.

No, I would not rather a cop get shot with his own gun.

I wouldn't put a limit on how many times words must be spoken. It would depend on the situation.

You do know that there are a lot more people in that community than the ones you saw on tv right? Some are ignoring facts. Some are believing certain testimony over others. Some think that the facts paint an alternate narrative. Some think that it could have been handled differently.

I don't know very many people who think that protests should have led to riots. From what I saw the protestors outnumbered the rioters. I don't think that looters and those who cause damage believe that their actions will change things for the better. Some are angry and some are just taking advantage of the situation to steal crap.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
My black co-worker who grew up in the ghetto and whose real life experiences don't fit the narrative that "white cops are racist" is an idiot, and not worth mentioning. Got it.

Did the drunk weightlifter charge the policeman and go for his service weapon?

You are the one comparing apples with oranges. There is a major difference with a person being belligerent with the police, and violently assaulting the police.
My father grew up in a rough neighborhood as well. I also know Black people, who are not ghetto, who have experiences with bigoted police officers. My father has been pulled over several times, and even followed by police officers. Same thing happened with an old colleague of mine. Neither my father or my colleague were ghetto rats. My father grew up in a rough area and has experienced racism from police officers. The old colleague of mine, he has been subjected to the "driving while Black" treatment.

The drunk man did get up in the officer's face. Officer kept his cool. Eric Garner, he did not assault a police officer. He got choked to death.

Now, what is the difference between a Black criminal assaulting a police officer and a White criminal doing the exact same thing? Just answer the question. Do not go on the "Whites don't do it as much" crap. Just answer the question. What is the difference when a Black criminal goes after a police officer and a White criminal does the same thing? I am speaking on what happens to a Black person vs a White person if both persons were to do the same thing, all things being equal.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
Of course the "I have black acquaintances" card is being used. Never fails

Old 12-05-2014, 05:22 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
I will say this. I know Michael Brown was a criminal. However, this is what I see. Black criminals who resist arrest or go shooting up places, they are far more likely to get killed by the police than White criminals doing the very same things. That is what bothers alot of Black people. The verdict, for me, isn't about defending a criminal. He stole from a store, so yes, he is a criminal. However, this is what bothers people. What is the likelihood of a White person getting killed by the police doing the exact same thing? That is what people are wondering about.

can you back it up with actually FBI and other law enforcement stats?

In the past 50 years, the rate of black Americans killed by police has dropped 70 percent. In 2012, 123 African-Americans were shot dead by police. There are currently more than 43 million blacks living in the U.S.A. Same year, 326 whites were killed by police bullets. Those are the latest stats available.

Black people are drinking the kool aid and false information given by a lot of black hustlers who call themselves "leaders" and the misinform media who just looking for drama and ratings. Michael Brown was not a real criminal for stealing from a store, that's petty stuff. He became a hardcore criminal by physically attacking a police officer and trying to take his gun. That is hard prison time just on that act alone.

you mean to tell me if a 300 lbs. 6' 2" WHITE criminal who has a physical advantage over the cop attacks the cop and tries to take his gun and ignores the orders of the police officer and then comes back and charges the police officer again that any white police would give him a pass and benefit of the doubt because the criminal is white? that cop wouldn't last in the police force, he would be dead or cause the death of his partner and others.

you know nothing about police training. The first thing they teach a police cadet/rookie in the police academy is NEVER let the criminal physically take you down and take your gun because that is your life and the life of others if the criminal have possession of your gun. If the criminal is bigger then you than you use any necessary force including shooting at the aggressor from taking you down and taking your gun.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 12-05-2014 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Of course the "I have black acquaintances" card is being used. Never fails
I've heard that used over and over, and for the most part, I find it disingenuous when it is being used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies