Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:29 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So, not all blacks are criminals because some are but all whites are racists because some are?
I talked about the "white collective"....not individual whites. Having the best basketball team in the league does not therefore infer that every player on that team are among the best players in the league. Similarly, having the worst team in the league does not mean that every individual player is the worst in the league.

You are being confused by the fallacy of composition. What is true of the whole is not necessarily true of the parts and what is true of some parts cannot be assumed true for the whole. Neither claim have I made....so what the hell are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Based on their representative percentages in the population of people involved in violent crime, whites are targeted for police killing at a disproportionately high rate.

The reason 999 people out of 1,000 don't know that is because there's no white version of Al Sharpton.

There is an "Al Sharpton" because there was a plantation owner with the surname of SHARPTON who owned the antecedents of "Al Sharpton" as slaves. There was a white Sharpton.....the slave owner....but I do not know if his name was Al. Thank that slave owner Sharpton and the system and society that supported slavery, Jim Crow and rampant anti-black discrimination for the existence of one....Al Sharpton. Funny how that EVOLVED....huh? The white version of Al sharpton would be named Oladia Alowanhe and would be living in Nigeria as the descendents of whites enslaved by the black majority with the inherited surname of his antecedents former black masters. However, since whites were never enslaved at the hands of blacks, for centuries in these lands, there is no "white version" of Al Sharpton.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I talked about the "white collective"....not individual whites. Having the best basketball team in the league does not therefore infer that every player on that team are among the best players in the league. Similarly, having the worst team in the league does not mean that every individual player is the worst in the league.

You are being confused by the fallacy of composition. What is true of the whole is not necessarily true of the parts and what is true of some parts cannot be assumed true for the whole. Neither claim have I made....so what the hell are you talking about?
There is no "collective", only people.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
There is an "Al Sharpton" because there was a plantation owner with the surname of SHARPTON who owned the antecedents of "Al Sharpton" as slaves. There was a white Sharpton.....the slave owner....but I do not know if his name was Al. Thank that slave owner Sharpton and the system and society that supported slavery, Jim Crow and rampant anti-black discrimination for the existence of one....Al Sharpton. Funny how that EVOLVED....huh?
Deflection having nothing to do with my point.

There are 2x as many whites as there are blacks killed by cops each year, yet whites represent ~46% of the violent criminal interactions with cops, according to FBI and BJS stats. That means where getting killed by cops is concerned, it's whites being hunted disproportionately.

Whites do not have a well known activist who incites riots and mobs for a living to draw attention to this statistical reality. Blacks on the other hand, have a well known activist who incites riots and mobs for a living, and his name is Al Sharpton.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
There is no "collective", only people.

If that is true then there is no United States

Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Deflection having nothing to do with my point.

There are 2x as many whites as there are blacks killed by cops each year, yet whites represent ~46% of the violent criminal interactions with cops, according to FBI and BJS stats. That means where getting killed by cops is concerned, it's whites being hunted disproportionately.

Whites do not have a well known activist who incites riots and mobs for a living to draw attention to this statistical reality. Blacks on the other hand, have a well known activist who incites riots and mobs for a living, and his name is Al Sharpton.
Blacks are NOT reacting based upon how many whites are killed by the cops relative to blacks. Blacks are reacting because such acts have historically been part and parcel to the oppression of black people. In other words, there is a long history of white police, and others, killing blacks and getting away with it in the courts.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
If that is true then there is no United States
So the "black collective" is more prone to crime and its understandable to target them all for different treatment?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Blacks are NOT reacting based upon how many whites are killed by the cops relative to blacks. Blacks are reacting because such acts have historically been part and parcel to the oppression of black people. In other words, there is a long history of white police, and others, killing blacks and getting away with it in the courts.

As the OP notes, there is a long history of policemen unjustly killing many different people and getting away with it.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:49 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Make a point. Do not speak in riddles. I believe that nature evolved EVERY condition in the present...from the past and I believe that without exception.
I asked you a simple question. Interesting that you saw it as a riddle.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
None of them should cause 6 men to jump him and then stand around while he dies on the sidewalk.
They didn't cause them to jump him. His refusal on the spot is what required force. As for the dying on the sidewalk, I'll admit I don't have all the facts on that so I'm not going to address that point.

Quote:
Let's also take the examples the OP presents in the first post. Do you not think the previous actions of the justice system to sweep their wrongs under the carpet might not have some consequences on the people?
First, I think the OP was overstated. Secondly, yes, I think police misbehavior has an effect on the people. NYC has had some bad cases in their history. To your point in response to the OP, I agree that the collective does not represent the whole. Finally, though there have been problems with police at times, I think people should understand that not all cases are the same and address the facts before making assumptions and reacting. I also think, assuming for a moment that this was police misbehavior, that this should not be made out to be a national epidemic of police targeting black men to kill because that's far too broad a brush and simply isn't supported by the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies