Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So the "black collective" is more prone to crime and its understandable to target them all for different treatment?
I think the black collective is more prone to violent crime, as a result of their history in this nation, as well as being more prone to poverty, unemployment and a host of other socioeconomic conditions. In that context, yes, I think the black COLLECTIVE needs and needed to be targeted, for repair, from the damage inflicted by 4 centuries of racial abuse. There needed to have been a "Marshall Plan" like effort to rebuild the black collective like Europe and Japan were targeted and rebuilt after WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
As the OP notes, there is a long history of policemen unjustly killing many different people and getting away with it.
But that history was not attached to the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow oppression where their RACE was the determining factor. Now, I say that with full knowledge of the history of the Irish and Chinese in America.

Again.....the black reaction is HUMAN NATURE....true or untrue? Given the history of what happened to blacks.....we are not behaving abnormally based upon human nature. It is how HUMANS react and evolve given a PARTICULAR circumstance in time and space.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
They didn't cause them to jump him. His refusal on the spot is what required force. As for the dying on the sidewalk, I'll admit I don't have all the facts on that so I'm not going to address that point.
Nobody should ever be arrested for selling loose cigarettes.

As I noted earlier and no one addressed, how is it we allowed those on Wall Street that committed illegal acts that costs the country billions of dollars go completely free but go across town and arrest someone for selling loose smokes. Tell me how this makes sense?

Quote:
First, I think the OP was overstated. Secondly, yes, I think police misbehavior has an effect on the people. NYC has had some bad cases in their history. To your point in response to the OP, I agree that the collective does not represent the whole. Finally, though there have been problems with police at times, I think people should understand that not all cases are the same and address the facts before making assumptions and reacting. I also think, assuming for a moment that this was police misbehavior, that this should not be made out to be a national epidemic of police targeting black men to kill because that's far too broad a brush and simply isn't supported by the facts.
I never went there. Garner wasn't targeted because he is black. He was targeted because the justice system is out of control and screwed up.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the black collective is more prone to violent crime, as a result of their history in this nation, as well as being more prone to poverty, unemployment and a host of other socioeconomic conditions. In that context, yes, I think the black COLLECTIVE needs and needed to be targeted, for repair, from the damage inflicted by 4 centuries of racial abuse. There needed to have been a "Marshall Plan" like effort to rebuild the black collective like Europe and Japan were targeted and rebuilt after WWII.
I don't believe in placing blame on others for your mistakes. Its why I caught flak in the Rolling Stone story for commending them for admitting they screwed up.

That doesn't excuse their screw up but at least they owned it.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Nobody should ever be arrested for selling loose cigarettes.

As I noted earlier and no one addressed, how is it we allowed those on Wall Street that committed illegal acts that costs the country billions of dollars go completely free but go across town and arrest someone for selling loose smokes. Tell me how this makes sense?

I never went there. Garner wasn't targeted because he is black. He was targeted because the justice system is out of control and screwed up.
No...he was not targeted....but FEARED because of the combination of BIG and BLACK...and the FEAR led to the excessive force that led to the death. In many of the cases white police officers have a greater fear of blacks which leads to a greater propensity to use deadly force. There was even a study that showed that people, when being forced to make split second decisions to shoot or not, are more likely to shot a black person than a white person. That is because of FEAR.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:12 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Nobody should ever be arrested for selling loose cigarettes..
That lies with the mayor and council. The police don't make the rules, they have to enforce what's given to them.

Quote:
As I noted earlier and no one addressed, how is it we allowed those on Wall Street that committed illegal acts that costs the country billions of dollars go completely free but go across town and arrest someone for selling loose smokes. Tell me how this makes sense?.
I don't disagree on that. Anyone shown to be doing something illegal on Wall St. should pay the price. It can be a little harder to show and find evidence and the assumption doesn't get someone convicted. I think political influence plays a role as well, and I think many are operating within the law.

Quote:
He was targeted as being in violation of a law passed, not by the justice system, but by the elected government of NY.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Problem with this idea is the following:

Execution would need to managed by whites to be competent and blacks would hate it due to that reason. Such envy in some of these folks that it is amazing. Maybe all them dead Confederates were right after all....

Old 12-17-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
But that history was not attached to the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow oppression where their RACE was the determining factor. Now, I say that with full knowledge of the history of the Irish and Chinese in America.
It makes no difference. They are all equally as dead.

Quote:
Again.....the black reaction is HUMAN NATURE....true or untrue? Given the history of what happened to blacks.....we are not behaving abnormally based upon human nature. It is how HUMANS react and evolve given a PARTICULAR circumstance in time and space.
I support many of the actions. While I believe it was ruled correctly in Ferguson I still understand the negative reaction in the big picture. There are still valid questions that should be addressed there that are not concerning law enforcement.

I believe the officer reacted in the way he was trained. Perhaps our training is screwed up.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I don't believe in placing blame on others for your mistakes. Its why I caught flak in the Rolling Stone story for commending them for admitting they screwed up.

That doesn't excuse their screw up but at least they owned it.

Good for you....people believed that the world was flat at one time. People believe a lot of different things and thanks for sharing your beliefs. I try to deal in the world of science, as in CAUSE and EFFECT. I believe ever EFFECT has a CAUSE or CAUSES, because science says that every action produces a reaction. I do not debate in the emotional realm of BLAME, but in the scientific methodology of cause and effect. Everything that transpires is for a REASON and that reason is Cause and Effect.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
It makes no difference. They are all equally as dead.

I support many of the actions. While I believe it was ruled correctly in Ferguson I still understand the negative reaction in the big picture. There are still valid questions that should be addressed there that are not concerning law enforcement.

I believe the officer reacted in the way he was trained. Perhaps our training is screwed up.
The thing about all of this is that it is HUMAN NATURE!!! Its not black nature or white nature....but HUMAN NATURE!! Hence, its all about the circumstances that humans have created historically that are manifesting these contemporary human reactions by the police as well as the black community. Once you screw up in the past, the reverberations of that past manifest well into the future. The country screwed up big time in it's past, racially, and the reverberations of that will manifest well into the future. Blacks are behaving LIKE HUMANS DO in reaction to their human experiences. Police are behaving based upon their experiences....what pits the conflict of the black community and the police is HISTORY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies