Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Right....its the system and the system knows no color, just more control over everyone.
If the "system" did not know color then things would not be skewed socioeconomically by color. Talk to the hand . A minute ago you were arguing against the concept of a "collective" now you are arguing the "System".....which is a collective of individuals implementing policy and authority. Stop contradicting yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 11:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
You changed the subject.
Hardly. You said it was an internal thing. I simply pointed out where it isn't.

Quote:
Apparently, you didn't read what I said or didn't understand it. I never justified any such thing. Secondly, those are different law enforcement agencies.
It doesn't matter. I understand people getting tired of being harassed over petty things when others can get away with major crimes.

Quote:
Choked means you aren't able to breathe because your airway is restricted. Someone in that position, particularly to the point of being fatal, is not able to repeatedly speak in complete sentences. That's why a person choking on food puts their hands up to their neck as a signal, they can't say, "I have steak stuck in my throat."
This has been covered over and over. The coroner said he died from a compressed throat.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If the "system" did not know color then things would not be skewed socioeconomically by color. Talk to the hand . A minute ago you were arguing against the concept of a "collective" now you are arguing the "System".....which is a collective of individuals implementing policy and authority. Stop contradicting yourself.
Fair enough. The wealth gap has grown to record levels the last 8 years. Its not an attempt to keep blacks down. The policies that have created this hurts everyone not at the top.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:36 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You're making too much sense, which is something that we can't expect from all on these issues. When the other poster mentioned that the officer wasn't justified being "choked to death" (firstly, Garner wasn't choked to death) over loose cigs, s/he shows that s/he doesn't have a grasp on the legal issues at hand. What Garner was doing to get police attention isn't relevant to the law in the way the other poster tries to make it seem. Rather, what matters is that the police were justified in trying to make an arrest at all. From there, we get into whether excessive force was applied, which, as a matter of law, a grand jury decided was not.

But, as I mentioned in my OP, the outrage we see over this and other cases is often suspect and racial, with people often showing they care less about allegations of police abuse and use of force for all, and only that a white officer acts and a black or Hispanic person dies as a result. Those people lack such integrity that it often isn't worth debating these issues with them except for the benefit of providing the truth to others.
Sure lots of the protests are racial. But in the Garner case the police force used was excessive, regardless of what the grand jury said. I expect my public servants in law enforcement to use appropriate force. They did not in Garner's case.

Do you actually believe the death of Tamir Rice was justified? Did you watch the video? That officer was unqualified to be an officer. Their response to the incident, whether they knew the weapon might be a toy or not, was incompetent.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:47 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Fair enough. The wealth gap has grown to record levels the last 8 years. Its not an attempt to keep blacks down. The policies that have created this hurts everyone not at the top.
It might not be an attempt to keep blacks down....but the effect is that it not only preserves blacks being down socioeconomically relative to whites, it has, increased the racial gaps since the recession. We are not experiencing the same conditions racially in this nation. They "system" does not weigh against all equally. The system can be like a virus. Those whose immune system is already compromised (as blacks have been from centuries of fighting the infection of racism).....gets hit worse.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Sure lots of the protests are racial. But in the Garner case the police force used was excessive, regardless of what the grand jury said. I expect my public servants in law enforcement to use appropriate force. They did not in Garner's case.
From what I understand the G.J. didn't get to rule on that. Only that the officer didn't intentionally set out to kill Garner.

Quote:
Do you actually believe the death of Tamir Rice was justified? Did you watch the video? That officer was unqualified to be an officer. Their response to the incident, whether they knew the weapon might be a toy or not, was incompetent.
It goes back to training. Again from what I understand the person that called 9-11 did he thought the gun was perhaps a toy. The 9-11 operator never relayed that info.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
It might not be an attempt to keep blacks down....but the effect is that it not only preserves blacks being down socioeconomically relative to whites, it has, increased the racial gaps since the recession.
I agree it has and I've spoke out against these policies for years but again....they were put in place by a black president.

Quote:
We are not experiencing the same conditions racially in this nation. They "system" does not weigh against all equally. The system can be like a virus. Those whose immune system is already compromised (as blacks have been from centuries of fighting the infection of racism).....gets hit worse.
Everyone not in the top gets hit hard, black, white, brown or yellow.

Are there more whites than blacks at the top? Yes.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:07 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Hardly. You said it was an internal thing. I simply pointed out where it isn't..
Until something changes, as in a lawsuit filed, it is internal. The system is not bringing charges and the current scope is whether or not disciplinary action will be taken by the police department. If a case is filed, it will be a matter of civil court.

Quote:
It doesn't matter. I understand people getting tired of being harassed over petty things when others can get away with major crimes..
It does matter. You made a point about the police not arresting someone and then going across town and arresting someone else. The fact that it's a different jurisdiction and agency invalidates your point. I can understand people getting tired of being harassed over petty things. Stop doing petty things or vote people out of office that made the laws. When the police arrive, you take them on at your own risk.

Quote:
This has been covered over and over. The coroner said he died from a compressed throat.
No, he didn't. He said compression of the neck with contribution by his poor general health. "The autopsy also found that compressions to the chest and “prone positioning during physical restraint by police” killed Garner" http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1888808 It did not say he died as a result of a lack of oxygen.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:21 PM

865 posts, read 623,609 times
Quote:
It might not be a black white thing.....but HISTORY makes it a black white thing. Blacks would not react to it as a black white thing if not being programmed by a history of it being a black white thing. That is human nature. When a liar speaks....it will be assumed a lie...even it is the truth. Such is the consequence of history. Furthermore, during slavery they sometimes used blacks as overseers to implement the will of the master. Many African American see black conservatives as a tool of racism.....to be used as mouth pieces to say things and do things that whites would be seen as racist for doing. So blacks are a little more sophisticated than simply going of the color of those who are in support of something.
You've seriously got to get past this or you'll be bitter for the rest of your life. NO ONE alive today has owned, or been, a slave in the US.

If you don't stop making everything a historical "black white thing" and move on, how do you think anything will ever get better?

Bottom line, Garner was killed because he didn't pay the ridiculous government-imposed cigarette tax.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Until something changes, as in a lawsuit filed, it is internal. The system is not bringing charges and the current scope is whether or not disciplinary action will be taken by the police department. If a case is filed, it will be a matter of civil court.
There is no way this is left internal. There will be public hearings on how the police may treat the citizens its suppose to protect.

Quote:
It does matter. You made a point about the police not arresting someone and then going across town and arresting someone else. The fact that it's a different jurisdiction and agency invalidates your point. I can understand people getting tired of being harassed over petty things. Stop doing petty things or vote people out of office that made the laws. When the police arrive, you take them on at your own risk.
Nobody "took them on".

Quote:
No, he didn't. He said compression of the neck with contribution by his poor general health. "The autopsy also found that compressions to the chest and “prone positioning during physical restraint by police” killed Garner" Eric Garner It did not say he died as a result of a lack of oxygen.
You don't get a compressed neck without someone compressing it. Aren't you even a little embarrassed with your word gymnastics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies