Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
He stereo types just as bad as the rednecks they hate.
I agree with this. I don't hate Moore, but I don't want to give him much credit. I find his documentaries interesting, but I think it would be detrimental if someone watched them and took them as gospel, refusing to research the issues he preaches about. His narration grates on my nerves because, like I said, it's some kind of preaching, and it seems like no one gets a chance to think for himself. I'm not saying he has nothing of value to say, but it seems so one-sided, and yes, I think he stereotypes people and oversimplifies a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
I cannot stand Michaell Moore. He exploits people he claims to care about. Um, i guess they have a name for those types. Democrats or Liberals!
And that would be as opposed to Republicans who exploit people they don't even bother to claim they care about?

It's comical when people accuse Michael Moore of only looking at half of the story when many of thse same people continue to support the selective use of intelligence.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's comical when people accuse Michael Moore of only looking at half of the story when many of thse same people continue to support the selective use of intelligence.
It's even more comical, whenever someone points out a hypocrite on the left or a hypocrite on the right- mentions a flawed leftist philosophy or a flaw of conservative philosophy- to watch the partisans pop up with their moral equivalency nonsense as if that somehow washes clean the failings of their side.

George Bush made a mistake going into Iraq... MUUUUUUUHHH, YEAH, WELL, WHAT ABOUT THAT THING BILL CLINTON DID THAT ONE TIME!!! (or, vice-versa)

If you can't address the issue on merit, simply point out what the other guy is going... maybe then, the peanut gallery will be distracted and you won't have to account for yourself.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
George Bush made a mistake going into Iraq... MUUUUUUUHHH, YEAH, WELL, WHAT ABOUT THAT THING BILL CLINTON DID THAT ONE TIME!!! (or, vice-versa) .

If people cannot comprehend the difference between leading a country into an ill-advised war of choice costing tens of thousands dead and wounded and marital infidelity I have great fear or the future of this country.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
He distorts the facts to make a more interesting movie.. Then people believe everything he has to say as being 100% correct. He only shows one side of the story..

need I go on?

By the way I don't hate him. I've watched all his films. I just understand I'm getting one side of the story.

Yes you need go on. What is the other side of the story bigthirsty?

People are dumb but they are not stupid. While your big government has their foot on our necks, many of us look a bit to Michael Moore as a hero. Some one who is looking out for the little guy. There is no one out there looking out for the little guy ya know. They got theirs and we got......nothing but taxes and more bills we cant pay.

Be grateful for that wonderful employer sponsered health care you have and never forget some of us do not have any.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:34 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If people cannot comprehend the difference between leading a country into an ill-advised war of choice costing tens of thousands dead and wounded and marital infidelity I have great fear or the future of this country.
Not to give GWB a walk because he doesnt rate one but... 911 was a direct result of a failed Clinton intellegence network. Those terrorist came here under clintons watch. Trained to fly planes under his watch and set up the plan under his watch. This eventually set up the atmosphere that led to an ill advised war. Bush got a lot of help from 911, England was pushing for said war before Bush ever took office. Or so says Tony Blairs former assistant.
This war has been in the making for 17 years I would say.
After 911 americans wanted some butt. Congress AND Bush delivered. Too many are oh so willing to pardon the role congress played. I dont accept the line he lied to us.. Just as I dont accept Bush and company claiming they didnt realize the Iraqi's would be so difficult to adapt to a democracy.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,783 times
Quote:
It would make sense to me that the US would be behind socialized countries in providing "timely" health care to our citizens, given that we're an entirely different civilization that operates with an entirely different social, philosophical and economic model, not to mention that we've had a built-in underclass since our founding that consistently skews our statistics for the worse- something France or Sweden don't have. When you take them out of the equation, we usually do a lot better.

There's a reason that Louisiana and Mississippi consistently score the "lowest" in almost everything. It's because they have the "highest percentage" of those who have consistently shown to be an enormous drag on the statistics that measure progress, achievement and civilization.
Yes, the US has a higher percentage of people who "drag down the statistics" but that is not a reason to exclude them and create a selection bias. Instead, we should ask us why the US has such a high percentage of people who are not successful. Why is this under-class built in here but not in those under countries?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:13 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,468 times
Quote:
If you can't address the issue on merit, simply point out what the other guy is going... maybe then, the peanut gallery will be distracted and you won't have to account for yourself.
I agree with this. I always think that if I get married again, I want to find a woman who had the worst husband. So no matter what I do, I can always say, “hey, remember when your last husband did…”.

Back to Moore, I just watch his movies with the understanding it is a point-of-view documentary (POV) and I’m not expecting an unbiased story. But I do see that he does make some good and valid points but can also make some incorrect conclusions because not all his points are valid or correct.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:42 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Yea, but the protection that the Saudi Embassy gets is like having a rottwieller protect a slab of meat, when just about all other Embassies have the equal of a Labrador at best.
Did you selectively miss that point in his movie?
I visited the Canadian Embassy in DC 6 years ago and found the "protection" nothing like the Saudi Embassy.
The Saudi Embassy was being protected in the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, if my memory serves me correctly. Obviously against the backdrop of alot of unfortunate incidents against mosques, Muslims and even perceived Muslims (Sikhs).

Comparing that particular need to those of Canada is something that is very hard to take seriously.

Most embassies do not need extraordinary protection. I lived across from the Polish Embassy, which gets Secret Service cars driving by regularly, but no officers stationed there. The Israeli Embassy, about 3/4 of a mile away, has, for obvious reasons, a permanent prescence of Secret Service officers stationed there 24/7.

So, there it is. Moore was clearly dishonest and obviously managed to hoodwink more than a few.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Start a new thread regarding Bush, the war, and to make broad generalizations about "Liberals" and "Conservatives" - two words that have been hi-jacked and taken out of context. (How does a society with people as diverse as Americans fit into one of only two categories?)

Michael Moore presents information to support his opinion and ommits a great deal - true. I wanted to hear from someone who can validate or in-validate his claims and the recent report about our healthcare versus other country's.

If you are like me and have only lived in America, you cannot compare systems. WE are ignorant regarding this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies