Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

Just another thread to bash the Government. The thread is about Michael Moore. Not about Iraq or Bush. Wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times
He should have made a film called sicko. Perfect lead character!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
it all depends from what "angle" you are looking at his movies.
Well, as I previously mentioned, I do indeed "agree" with him on some things. As a search of my posts will confirm, I am in favor of sane gun regulations. However, Bowling for Columbine was a farce, a bunch of disparate and antedotal incidents weaved together and termed a documentary.

I mean, a cartoon? Sorry, my education, intelligence and objectivity will not allow me to take something like that seriously. That's my angle.

Last edited by Moth; 01-11-2008 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 07:19 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Question Michael Moore: anti-American?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
What gets me is when someone who "hates" him has never watched one of his movies.
I've seen several of his films. And it's always clear that he has an agenda that he suports with slanted film-making. The way he went after Charlton Heston in Bowlng for Columbine was way over the top and upset me. That said, I don't for one minute find his stance to be anti-American in the least. He's clearly anti-corporate and he builds a case for his side. But in all the Moore films I've seen, he comes down on the side of the "average citizen" vs the corporate giants. And he doesn't bash ALL corporations. As a matter of fact, the corporations he goes after are those who are doing harm to Americans.

And what is anti-American about that?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:42 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
We don't exclude them from the statistics. Have you ever looked at the stats from the aforementioned areas (Mississippi and Louisiana)?

To make a very long story very short, you can't grow cotton in Finland, nor was Finland ever an intensive forced labor agricultural colony for another country.
But it was being argued that they should be excluded? I never said that they were indeed excluded. My point is that we should NOT exclude those kind of statistics because it creates a selection bias.

So because cotton don't grow in Finland, the US has to have an under-class? That sounds like a very long stretch to make. I suppose your point is that slavery didn't exist in Finland, but they certainly had many other very labor intensive work that was being performed. It seems like we should be able to do better than just blaming history.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
The question of "why are blacks not successful wherever they occur in large numbers" is a spin on the old nature/nurture discussion.
Whether it's nature, whether it's nurture, comparing a country with a large black population to hugely homogeneous populations of white people or the Japanese will always, always wash out with the "diverse" country at the bottom of the barrel. When you scratch the surface and actually look at the statistical math, it's pretty clear "who" is dragging the statistics.
I see your back to the old race card argument. I've read some of your other posts about this topic. It's getting quite tiring to hear about. The point is not to determine who are "dragging down" the statistics, but why?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:22 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Nothing , skoro ....I think Michael Moore is great . I am on his e-mail list & he is very vocal about not forgiving Hillary for her pro-war vote.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:27 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I see your back to the old race card argument. I've read some of your other posts about this topic. It's getting quite tiring to hear about. The point is not to determine who are "dragging down" the statistics, but why?
I don't think you understand what the "race card" is.

The "race card" is a term for what occurs when someone of a different race screws something up or legitimately does something wrong, but when they're facing the consequences for it, they say they're being unfairly targeted because they're a minority- not because of what they themselves did.
That's the "race card".

Making mention of statistical trends pertaining to race or noting that certain races are hugely underrepresented in areas of achievement and hugely overrepresented in areas of social failure isn't "the race card", it's simply reality whether you happen to like it or not.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
I don't think you understand what the "race card" is.

The "race card" is a term for what occurs when someone of a different race screws something up or legitimately does something wrong, but when they're facing the consequences for it, they say they're being unfairly targeted because they're a minority- not because of what they themselves did.
That's the "race card".

Making mention of statistical trends pertaining to race or noting that certain races are hugely underrepresented in areas of achievement and hugely overrepresented in areas of social failure isn't "the race card", it's simply reality whether you happen to like it or not.
Thank you for your "clarification." However, my point remains that our concern should remain with everybody not just a certain race. I'm not sure why you continue to bring this up, that is all. I never mentioned race until you turned the question into "why are blacks not successful wherever they occur in large numbers" from nowhere.
Even if we survey just the white population as you would like to do, there is still a much higher percentage living in poverty when compared to other countries. I would like to know though, why do you keep bringing race up? Are you concerned about the problems with the people in poverty, or should we simply "eliminate them" so we can make the statistics look better?

Old 01-13-2008, 08:28 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I've seen several of his films. And it's always clear that he has an agenda that he suports with slanted film-making. The way he went after Charlton Heston in Bowlng for Columbine was way over the top and upset me. That said, I don't for one minute find his stance to be anti-American in the least. He's clearly anti-corporate and he builds a case for his side. But in all the Moore films I've seen, he comes down on the side of the "average citizen" vs the corporate giants. And he doesn't bash ALL corporations. As a matter of fact, the corporations he goes after are those who are doing harm to Americans.

Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies