Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:17 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You might have disease-prone genes.

Should we have to pay for that?

By the way, 700,000 people times one million dollars equals $700 billion dollars, which is about a fifth of the entire federal budget of $3.5 trillion.
Reading comprehension is your friend: one million for all 700,000. Not one million for each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
16 Myths About Gender Confirmation Surgery

Sadly the people who need to read this the most are the ones who will likely ignore it but here's a few very powerful quotes:

2. ‘These people need therapy, not surgery.’

I have been over this before. They tried for decades to change people’s gender identities, the same way they tried to change sexual orientation. Drugs. Therapy. Electroshock therapy. Lobotomies. Institutionalization.
It doesn’t work.

11. ‘I’m actually a feline trapped in a human’s body. Can I get can surgery to make me a cat?’

Also known as the “I think I’m funny, but I’m not” answer. Generally used by guys who watch South Park.
When people use this argument, they assume that transgender people are mentally ill (they’re not), assume it’s a delusion that can be cured (wrong), and ignores one key fact:
People can naturally be mentally hardwired to identify as male or female. Sometimes the wiring and the equipment don’t synch up during development.
We have 40-plus years of neuroscience research basically telling us gender identity and body image are written early on in development, and sometimes they don’t match.
People, however, do not naturally identify as a cat or other non-human animal.

15. ‘It doesn’t change your DNA,’

This is irrelevant. There are lots of intersex people whose identities vary from their chromosomes.
The relevant part of the discussion is whether GCS is medically necessary (it is in the opinion of everyone who matters) and if it significantly improves quality of life (it does).
You forgot the other myth, that people who go thru with the gender change are happy ever after, and never regret their decision or choose to change back again.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:52 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension is your friend: one million for all 700,000. Not one million for each.
Are you suggesting that operations for these 700,000 people will only cost a million dollars, or about $1.40 per person?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:56 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
68.5% of Americans are overweight or obese. 68.5% of 319.8 million people. Hypertension and diabetes are two common co-morbidities of obesity. $190 billion is spent yearly dealing with the health issues of obese people, the vast majority of whom are obese because they guzzle soda and stuff their faces with fast food.
I shouldn't pay for their health care either. My point is that I shouldn't be paying for anyone's problems, self-induced, psychological, or act of G-d. The "how/why" of how one arrives at needing health care and being unable to pay for it themselves does not change the fact that are demanding a service without ability to pay for it, and I am being forced to assist them.
Quote:
An estimated 42.1 million Americans smoke. In 2004 the amount of money spent treating smoking-related illnesses was $193 billion dollars.
Again, if the $193 billion came out of the smokers' pockets, I could care less, but if I had to subsidize it against my will, I oppose that tyranny.
Quote:
We, all of us here in the US pay for their healthcare.
Not by choice, but by force. I know the tired insurance equivalency, where if I have insurance I pay for other people in my insurer's risk pool...but my participation in health/dental/auto/life insurance is VOLUNTARY (at least health insurance used to be). It's being forced to pay for things against my will that I argue with.
Quote:
There's an estimated 700,000 transgender people in the US. The estimated cost of each and every one of them transitioning is around 1 million dollars.
If you are saying that each transgendered person will cost $1 million to reassign, then as others have pointed out, that's $700 billion, or roughly 1/5 the entire annual federal budget. A steep price tag. If you are saying that all 700,000 put together will only cost $1 million total, then that means gender reassignment costs $1.43, as in less than the Sunday paper or about a third of what one coffee at Starbucks. So which is it? 20% of the entire federal budget, or about what a vending machine soda costs?
Quote:
Where's the shakedown happening?
Depends on your math from above. Is it $1 million for each reassignment, thus making the shakedown 20% of the entire federal budget, or is it $1 million total, thus negating the need for gender reassignment being added to welfare, since 2 fewer lotto tickets pays the $1.43 with change left over.
Quote:
I don't want to pay the healthcare costs for fat people or smokers but I do.

Note: I weight 145 lbs. and have never smoked in my life.
Just because one form of tyranny is visited upon you does not mean you must accept any and all other forms of tyranny being visited upon you.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
You forgot the other myth, that people who go thru with the gender change are happy ever after, and never regret their decision or choose to change back again.
Statistics show that's a fact and not a myth.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Are you suggesting that operations for these 700,000 people will only cost a million dollars, or about $1.40 per person?
Not everyone transitions and quite a few pay for most of it themselves.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I shouldn't pay for their health care either. My point is that I shouldn't be paying for anyone's problems, self-induced, psychological, or act of G-d. The "how/why" of how one arrives at needing health care and being unable to pay for it themselves does not change the fact that are demanding a service without ability to pay for it, and I am being forced to assist them.

Again, if the $193 billion came out of the smokers' pockets, I could care less, but if I had to subsidize it against my will, I oppose that tyranny.

Not by choice, but by force. I know the tired insurance equivalency, where if I have insurance I pay for other people in my insurer's risk pool...but my participation in health/dental/auto/life insurance is VOLUNTARY (at least health insurance used to be). It's being forced to pay for things against my will that I argue with.

If you are saying that each transgendered person will cost $1 million to reassign, then as others have pointed out, that's $700 billion, or roughly 1/5 the entire annual federal budget. A steep price tag. If you are saying that all 700,000 put together will only cost $1 million total, then that means gender reassignment costs $1.43, as in less than the Sunday paper or about a third of what one coffee at Starbucks. So which is it? 20% of the entire federal budget, or about what a vending machine soda costs?

Depends on your math from above. Is it $1 million for each reassignment, thus making the shakedown 20% of the entire federal budget, or is it $1 million total, thus negating the need for gender reassignment being added to welfare, since 2 fewer lotto tickets pays the $1.43 with change left over.

Just because one form of tyranny is visited upon you does not mean you must accept any and all other forms of tyranny being visited upon you.
I answered the 700,000 vs. 1m question below.

Seems some people like to pick and choose the tyranny they truly are opposed to.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:28 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,655 times
I would like to mention to the OP.

That it is us whom are paying for this surgery as a result we have every right to criticize it.
I see gays/lesbians above transexuals and bisexuals above gays/lesbians as personal preference of how I see the
LGBT group.

I have no problem with any of them except when they whine and complain for more benefits
like us paying for their plastic surgery.
that's what it is. Sorry the article doesn't change that fact.

17 cents per plan? SO WHAT.
Pay it themselves if they want. DO not ask others to do it.
this is not health care it is cosmetic surgery through and through and you cannot change that fact.

It's not a life threatening illness or anything. It's not even a disease. SO WHAT if you are depressed for being a certain gender.

I'm depressed for renting an apt can I have you pay for ownership of a house? NO? why not? you dumping 25k to the T crowd...for them being depressed.

You'd have to admit we would be better off giving the money to cancer patients than giving it to the LGBT crowd
What's the point of helping them pay for this UN-NEEDED surgery so they can feel better for themselves when they cannot do it themselves

Do we buy expensive cloths and I-phones for people that want them too because it would boost their self esteem?
NO so what reason do we have for paying for their cosmetic surgery?

They can do it on their dime BUT NOT on anyone else's.
This is why I do not like the T community more so than the LGB side.
By far Ts are worse/annoying just to put it simply.

Because most of them have an inferiority complex.
I am saying this because it's coming from their own forums they created for themselves.
(Yes I went to read their reasons, that's why I don't like them too much.)

Now whining off.

==================

If Ts want to be accepted they better not ask for such handouts and instead work for it.

if you are a guy in a woman's body? fine be a tom boy and date men that are more feminine if you are still straight.
or if not then date lesbians as a tomboy you will be the man in relationship then.
big deal.

Women can dress as men far more easily today. so that's irrelevant.

Now if you are a Man wanting to be a woman then that's FAR FAR harder.
if you are still straight then... I guess go for manly women
and if you want other men... well go for gays then.

problem with trans they are not exactly gays/lesbians/bi/straight even they are mixed.
but want the other party to accept them as a regular when they are not even after surgery because it's fake.

hermaphrodites are different though because they are both. I would classify them as in the BI category.
they can choose either or depending on what they want or which is dominant.
So they are not trans they are just naturally both.

Though we know most of them, they cannot have kids

Old 03-09-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Not everyone transitions and quite a few pay for most of it themselves.
OK, then given the average cost of $30,000 (male->female costs an average of $16,000, female->male costs ~$45,000), that means we are having a debate over 23 people receiving a surgery they cannot pay for.

23 people going for a $1 million payday.

Something tells me that adding gender reassignment to the various Mediwelfare programs or insurers covering the surgery is not exactly necessary.

Unisex bath/locker rooms can handle everything else we are "required to learn" about transgenderism to express our tolerance and acceptance.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Seems some people like to pick and choose the tyranny they truly are opposed to.
Not this person. I oppose all of it. Check the screen name and my post history. I make no secret about my singular hatred of Leviathan, nor discussions like these where my "tolerance" is insufficient until Leviathan's tyranny forces it.

I maintain that most people simply do not care about this issue one way or the other, and only are made to care by people petitioning to Leviathan to use force. If someone wants to have their genitals changed around, take hormones and all that...nobody else will care until made to care, by virtue of a man changing clothes in a woman's locker room (the current Planet Fitness bruhah), gender reassignment being added to mandatory insurance coverage (the whole reason this entire discussion exists in the first place), or simply new rules in place that makes listening to "Dude Looks Like A Lady" a hate crime.

Beyond that, chances are about 100% that you don't give the issue of transgenderism any thought at all. At least, that is, until discussions like this and the clear political agenda that drives them. Then we are all forced to care. And it's the being forced thing I oppose, and on any subject in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies