Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:56 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Just because you cannot think beyond you gender dysphoria, don't project your biases on a Harvard trained Psychiatrist that HEADED the Psychiatric Dept. At Johns Hopkins.
I believe john money was also at johns hopkins. But wherever he was - he was wrong too. Gender identity is not something that can be forced on a person, no matter what you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:51 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I do hope my question makes sense, because I am asking it sincerely and respectfully.
Though I have not read it, I have been told that Deirdre McCloskey's book Crossing: A Memoir is a pretty awesome exploration of these questions.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:59 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
The question I have is why are people who are not transgendered worried about transgender issues?

Old 02-25-2015, 12:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
There is so much about the brain and mind we can't do anything about, we are limited. Because of that there are some things we should accept, and that doesn't just go for the general public but for transgendered people to. Something that isn't right can't always be made right with external modifications.

Gender switching isn't really the ultimate solution here, it's just that people feel like it's the only band aid we have at the moment..

Old 02-25-2015, 01:16 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Here's the main thing I don't understand about transgenderism, and I would love to be enlightened.

Obviously not all women feel the same just because they are women; same for men. There is every degree of femininity and masculinity, nurturing spirit versus aggressiveness, affinity for fashion/makeup/flowers/home decorating versus affinity for hunting/sports/big trucks/war-type video games, etc. Every personality trait that can be found in some men can be found in some women, even though these traits may be thought of as "typically" male or female.

So how does anyone determine that they "feel" like the opposite gender? How can they even know what the opposite gender feels like? There is no one-size-fits-all description of what it "feels" like to be male or female; everyone is different, obviously.

So, if you are born with a penis, and believe you "feel like a woman," how do you know you're not actually just feeling like the man you were born to be?

I do hope my question makes sense, because I am asking it sincerely and respectfully.
People start perceiving their gender identity at a young age. Transgenders can tell at some point that something is off. Their body feels foreign or uncomfortable. Try imagining that despite your mind being your current gender, you woke up tomorrow with your body as the opposite gender, yet your brain still believes you're the current one. Don't you think you'd freak out or be upset? Wouldn't you seek a remedy to return your body back to the way it was before?

Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Seems you're the one that's confused as usual. At least you are consistent.
Are you denying that the brain is extremely complex, or should I say, denying everything we know about the human brain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Being born a hermaphrodite is a birth defect.

1 in 4,500 births.

If a man wants to be a woman or vise versa, it's a personal choice. But don't expect the entire world to change because of your decision. Oh, and don't expect tax payers to pay!
Tax payers aren't and won't be expected to pay (pay for what?).

And if it's a personal choice, why do you care? What gives you the right to say the choices of others are not acceptable when they effect your life in no measurable way?

Old 02-25-2015, 05:48 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
People start perceiving their gender identity at a young age. Transgenders can tell at some point that something is off. Their body feels foreign or uncomfortable. Try imagining that despite your mind being your current gender, you woke up tomorrow with your body as the opposite gender, yet your brain still believes you're the current one. Don't you think you'd freak out or be upset? Wouldn't you seek a remedy to return your body back to the way it was before?
But if I "woke up tomorrow with my body as the opposite gender," it would feel odd primarily because it was a sudden change. If I'd always felt like a man, how would I know that most other women feel differently.

I'm thinking it's kinda like color perception. I have no way to know that when I see green, you see it the same way. Perhaps the color that I see when I look at grass or limes or fir trees, is like the color your brain perceives when you look at an eggplant or violets.

So, if we have very tom-boyish girls (who consider themselves female in every way) and very effeminate men (who consider themselves male in every way) and every variation across the spectrum of what society calls feminine versus masculine.....are you saying that a transgendered person isn't content to be a masculine type of woman or an effeminate type of man, even though some people are content to be such?

Gender roles are FAR less prescribed than they were a hundred years ago (in terms of fashion, hair styles, job opportunities, roles in the home, duties as a parent, the wearing of jewelry & cosmetics, etc). Yet it has been only recently that I've heard of transgenderism. It just seems like, with the elimination of "stereotypical traditional gender roles," everyone should free to live however they wish, with the genitalia and male/female label they were born with.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:50 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The question I have is why are people who are not transgendered worried about transgender issues?
Possibly because people with penises want to shower with their daughters.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:51 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
But if I "woke up tomorrow with my body as the opposite gender," it would feel odd primarily because it was It just seems like, with the elimination of "stereotypical traditional gender roles," everyone should free to live however they wish, with the genitalia and male/female label they were born with.
But not free to have hormone treatments, therapy and surgery?

Just trying to clarify what you think.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:52 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,292,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
There is no problem with 99% of the gender confused.

If you have a pair and a dangler you are a male.

End of story.
Bigots and their prejudice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies