Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:42 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Should they be treated like other people with emotional(psychological) defects?
If one wants to call it a psychological defect, sure. I think it's far more complicated than your standard mental health issues though. But I don't see people demonizing other people with mental health issues to the extreme extent transgenders are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because we don't agree with allowing women dressed like men and men dressed like women to use the opposite restrooms doesn't make us "haters".
That has nothing to do with the discrimination against transgenders. Transgenders are treated worse than gays by society, just because of who they are.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
It is my experience ,that if a personal obsess over something ,it eventually over takes them.
Hypochondriac obsesses over decease, and creates a real problem just to justify the fear, and or living in a caged lifestyle their bodies are not acquiring any immunities, which are naturally occurring in others due to exposure.
Transgenders and homosexuals obsess over sex for affection, and in some cases being simply defiant and finding enough support for it find justification .
Predominately though all about sex and self.
On the rare occasion I agree there are those being forced into being something opposite of their birth, parents do this and it's wrong.
Have a friend that was brought up in an all male environment and had a bad father, she though of herself as a male but in the last few years has accepted who she really is, and satisfied with that. A woman.
We are great friends and just friends no hanky panky going on. Once a week or so we visit and she tells me all about the drama in her life.
And interesting to note, she is frustrated with a few of her friends an family, not accepting that she is a different person than she was in the past, and still try to exploit the old abandoned lesbean side.
She has not abandoned all her friends and lovers of the past, but that are on a different understanding now.
At least most of them.
On the other hand I knew guys that were just plane abusive with sex and spent their time horsing around like homosexuals and doing it long enough talked/worked them selves into the lifestyle .
Had nothing to do with chemistry or birth or any thing else but irrisponsible selfish pleasure. But they used the chemistry and birth thing to justify them self.
I have known men that were raised by women,raised to be effeminate ,is that fair the them?
It is my experience that those that have cultured lying to get what they want, tend to be more suicidal.
Especially after the lies are no longer working.
I'm just calling it as I see it from this 64 year old's point of view.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's truly sad how people treat transgenders. As though the issue itself isn't hard enough, you have constant haters demonizing you at every turn, because they can't understand it.
You a transgender?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 AM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
The only relevant point in the entire article is point 14. They should pay for it themselves. That's the crux of the entire "you must understand/accept transgenderism and GCS" marketing strategy - to get other people to pay for it. My understanding and acceptance is not what the transgendered person seeking GCS is seeking, they are seeking my money to pay for that which they cannot afford on their own. Period.

My tolerance and acceptance is going to be judged on how much financial responsibility the transgendered person must bear for their own GCS. The less they pay, the more tolerant and accepting I apparently am, and the more they pay, the less tolerant I am. And deep down, this is where most of those 16 arguments come from...people who know they are about to be fleeced to pay for something they clearly do not agree with, hoping they can make any argument to get out of being mugged. If there was no "you must pay for what I want to buy" component to all this NOBODY WOULD CARE. I don't honestly care about people trapped in the wrong body, beyond that vague, overall caring about your fellow humans having no fun today. Not one transgendered person having GCS has ever affected my life in any way, not even a smidgen. So what do I care about the psychological and medical bona fides of the condition, the surgical solution, etc? I don't. But, and this is again where the rubber meets the road, I am made to care because I know the push is on to make this one of those things I am required to pay for.

It is voluntary. Does it help correct a serious condition? Sure, but it's still voluntary. Feeling like a man trapped in a woman's body or vice versa simply cannot kill you. It can make you depressed and feeling like you want to kill yourself, but the condition itself is not fatal, and suicide, just like GCS is voluntary. The marketing push is to make it sound life threatening and associate it with poverty so you hit all the societal "oh well then we simply must add it to welfare right this instant" buttons and get it funded. And everyone knows exactly that, whether they admit or not. The proponent knows they are going for the fleece, and the opponent knows they are the sheep about to be sheared once more. We all know it, but since the proponent refuses to be intellectually honest about why we must all embrace, accept and rejoice in GCS (which is to get other people to pay for it), the opponents can not be intellectually honest about why they oppose it (which is simply not wanting to pay for the voluntary stuff other people do). So we play this little game of semantics and marketing, and eventually, the opponent will lose, other people will now be funding GCS because well gosh darn it, it's expensive and all, liberals will declare a more tolerant society even if the conservatives are still troglodytes, and we'll move to the next thing someone wants but doesn't feel like paying for, and begin the song and dance all over again.

tl;dr - this whole issue is a money grab, and that's what people oppose. Most people don't give a rat's patootie one way or the other about transgenders and GCS, but they do care about being forced to financially support them.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:10 AM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
If one wants to call it a psychological defect, sure. I think it's far more complicated than your standard mental health issues though. But I don't see people demonizing other people with mental health issues to the extreme extent transgenders are.
It is a psychological problem, period. I am not saying defect because that infers a judgment, but we can call it an abnormality, because about 99.999% of the people born with penises are psychologically cool with being dudes and 99.999% of the folks born with vajayjays are cool with being chicks. Thus, a person born with a penis but really just feeling like a girl in their mind, yeah, that's not normal and lies at the very far end of the distribution curve of gender identity.

But it's purely psychological. Absolutely, no two ways about it. Having a penis and thinking you're really a girl on the inside is no different than having a penis and thinking you're really Julius Caesar on the inside. And the GCS doesn't give you working versions of the other gender's genitalia, it gives you an approximation/facsimile of them that tricks your brain into thinking OK cool, now you're the proper gender. Not saying it doesn't work and all, but chopping a penis off and creating faux vagina facsimile does not create a woman, it creates the genital illusion necessary to convince the individual that they are a woman. In sum - it's a medical procedure to induce a desired psychological effect as a solution to a purely psychological condition.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It is simple. No amount of mumbo-jumbo will change my mind.
Science = mumbo-jumbo.

Except of course for the science *you* like - cars, computers, labor-saving machinery, electricity, plastics, antibiotics, life-saving surgery etc.

The problem you have is you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The modern understanding of genetics and human development underlies a huge chunk of medical treatment and research - and that chunk is growing all the time. If you think that understanding is mumbo-jumbo, I hope you are having good results with your witch doctor. But if you get cancer or diabetes, you will be **** out of luck.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:49 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
chromosomes don't lie. you are either born male or female.

For most people, this is true. For some people - it is manifestly not true.

Sex Chromosome Anomalies: Chromosomal Anomalies: Merck Manual Professional

Old 02-25-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
You a transgender?
I never said that, and how is it relevant?

Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

It is voluntary. Does it help correct a serious condition? Sure, but it's still voluntary. Feeling like a man trapped in a woman's body or vice versa simply cannot kill you. It can make you depressed and feeling like you want to kill yourself, but the condition itself is not fatal, and suicide, just like GCS is voluntary.
This sounds like ridiculous semantics. Transsexuals have pretty much the highest suicide rate of any group. While you may argue that's voluntary, depression is often viewed as a terminal illness if its severe enough. Depression makes you believe and do things you wouldn't otherwise do, so I wouldn't necessarily agree everyone is making a voluntary, free will based choice. At least, not one based on clear, rational thinking.

Quote:
tl;dr - this whole issue is a money grab, and that's what people oppose. Most people don't give a rat's patootie one way or the other about transgenders and GCS, but they do care about being forced to financially support them.
Nonsense. While people arguing they shouldn't have to pay for it does come up, that's not the reason most people dislike transgenders. They don't like them, because they can't understand how anyone can not be happy with their assigned gender. And if you're not happy with it, you must be a horrible, screwed up person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies