Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

1) If a Muslim takes a job as a cook or a server where there's pork on the menu, that Muslim is going to have to cook or serve pork. If someone won't do a job because it upsets their religious applecart, then they have no business going into that line of work.*

2) Political affiliation (ie, being a member of the KKK) isn't a protected class - what a stupid analogy.

3) If someone goes into business in a state that prohibits discrimination against gays, they don't get to say: "Sorry, the law doesn't apply to me because I have a religious excuse to discriminate against gays!".

How hard is that?

Apparently, far, far too hard for some of you...

* - As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there were Muslim cab-drivers in Minneapolis a few years back who were refusing to serve those transporting alcohol and those with service dogs, using their religion as an excuse - they were informed by the governing agency in question that they could properly serve those customers, or be fined and ultimately lose their taxi licenses if they didn't follow the law everyone else has to follow.

Discrimination laws can be unfair, but what would you rather do ?

let's say I owe a pizza place, would you rather I spit in your food and gave you a horrible service or told you to eat else where ?

I mean, pretend it's up to you

Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 PM

920 posts, read 634,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
No, she has the right to religious freedom. Religious freedom does not extend to taking away the rights of others.

It isn't MY logic. Government regulates commerce. This is well established and nothing new. There are many laws, rules, and regulations with which business owners must comply.

Do you see the similarity between this case and all white lunch counters? The businesses of the day made the same argument.
No one's rights were taken away. Where is it written that citizens have a" right" to wedding flowers?

Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Discrimination laws can be unfair, but what would you rather do ?

let's say I owe a pizza place, would you rather I spit in your food and gave you a horrible service or told you to else where ?

I mean, pretend it's up to you
or perhaps you can set a better example and rise above that? clearly that's too hard. im sure for LGBT folks its hard and I know its even twice as hard for the minority LGBT folks. Not only do you have to deal with racists, but then you got folks who feel their sexual orientation will splurge on others like some sort of new string of ebola.

I don't care what folks have sexual relations with. I know many Christian/muslims/jews who cry their beliefs and turn around and have affairs and or are doing illegal drugs. and sometimes with minors.

the problem here is the lady set a precedent of serving this man before she found out he's gay. Had this happened way before she serviced him, it wouldn't be such an issue. im sure it would be local only and im sure locals would deal with it themselves. Since this went nationally and she did service him prior, she's doubled screwed.

look be a bigot, racist all you want. live your life literal word for word all you want, just don't be mad when society backfires on you. Freedom of speech should be protected. However the way society reacts to it should also be protected as long as its non violent.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Here's a newsflash for you - the Torah is no more relevant to law in the United States than Peter Rabbit.

Riiiight.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Where does Jesus tell us not to associate with sinners?

And, how could this person be basing her decision on this "commandment" when she did associate with them for nine years prior?

As for the rest, I'm thinking you missed the Sunday school lesson on turning the other cheek.
Try reading Leviticus, it clearly states the sexual act of homosexuality is the sin not a person with same sex attraction.

I would be equally supportive of her if she declined to provide flowers to a baby naming ceremony where the parents were hetero and just living together because her faith informs that fornication is a sin.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:54 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
No one's rights were taken away. Where is it written that citizens have a" right" to wedding flowers?
Citizens have the right to not be discriminated against based on their sexual orientation. I have already provided the link to the text of the law on the Washington Legislature's website.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:54 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
or perhaps you can set a better example and rise above that? clearly that's too hard. im sure for LGBT folks its hard and I know its even twice as hard for the minority LGBT folks. Not only do you have to deal with racists, but then you got folks who feel their sexual orientation will splurge on others like some sort of new string of ebola.

I don't care what folks have sexual relations with. I know many Christian/muslims/jews who cry their beliefs and turn around and have affairs and or are doing illegal drugs. and sometimes with minors.

the problem here is the lady set a precedent of serving this man before she found out he's gay. Had this happened way before she serviced him, it wouldn't be such an issue. im sure it would be local only and im sure locals would deal with it themselves. Since this went nationally and she did service him prior, she's doubled screwed.

look be a bigot, racist all you want. live your life literal word for word all you want, just don't be mad when society backfires on you. Freedom of speech should be protected. However the way society reacts to it should also be protected as long as its non violent.
but I don't care about LGBTF folks, Slavery is when you do not have the right to choose whom you do business with.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Try reading Leviticus, it clearly states the sexual act of homosexuality is the sin not a person with same sex attraction.

I would be equally supportive of her if she declined to provide flowers to a baby naming ceremony where the parents were hetero and just living together because her faith informs that fornication is a sin.
And she would be within her rights to do so, as living together without being married is not a protected class.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I alredy told you my plan.
On this thread?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
but I don't care about LGBTF folks, Slavery is when you do not have the right to choose whom you do business with.

Like the gay customer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies