Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 05:37 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but homosexuals aren't a protected class.

Race, religion, sex, age are protected.
You're wrong. From Washington's Law Against Discrimination:

The legislature hereby finds and declares that practices of discrimination against any of its inhabitants because of race, creed, color, national origin, families with children, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability are a matter of state concern, that such discrimination threatens not only the rights and proper privileges of its inhabitants but menaces the institutions and foundation of a free democratic state.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
No, I get what you're saying about business regulations, but we're talking about rights here, not taxes and insurance and licensing issues. It looks to me like the woman being forced to sell him flowers (or sued for not doing so at least) is infringed upon her religious beliefs....so that is taking away HER rights.

Your premise is that her rights aren't being infringed upon because why? I'm trying hard to see your point, but I'm having difficulty through the eyes of a business owner as to how we would somehow have less rights as any other citizen, merely through the fact that we are attached to a corporation that bears our name. So you're saying business owners, the foundation of the country, should ultimately have less rights than those of everyday citizens?

I'm trying, really I am. Maybe it's a West Coast thing and I just won't get it.

SS
She does not have the right to infringe on another person's civil liberties, no matter what her religion says.

You never answered my question about the all white lunch counters.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
You have the right to associate with who you want. Christians and Islam does not accept Sodomites.

Skin color is not a choice for a person, SO if a Black person does not choose to associate with Chinese people THERE IS NO PENALTY IS THERE???

This is the same concept. Islam and Christians choose not to associate with anyone choosing to be a "perversion of nature." The fact that Sodomites in power ARE forcing sodomite associations on people who do not want to associate with them and provide them THEIR LABOR, does not make the law just. In fact it is disenfranchising other people in favor of them. NOT GOOD.
It took middle of the road people like me to join forces with people who never,ever accepted them on any terms. These people are going to find themselves totally isolated, eventually if they start THEIR OVERTHE TOP INTOLERANCE OF OTHERS.

Don't equate choice of switching birth gender to choice gender with natural birth of skin color and ethnicity, that is just pure ignorant and perverse of facts. Go ask some Black pastors and Black folks on this: They all will tell you your position is pure bull*rap. Give it up. You have no game.
These people are from Richland, Washington; not Sodom, or Gomorrah for that matter. Laws of the United States of America, the state of Washington and the city of Richland apply, not any fantasy born of the imaginations of bigots.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
re-read............she is not hiring....she is selling goods
You read as poorly as you think.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:52 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,248,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
She does not have the right to infringe on another person's civil liberties, no matter what her religion says.

You never answered my question about the all white lunch counters.
I am not familiar with the all white lunch counters case. I'm not even sure what that means really.

White guys counting lunches? White countertops? White countertops with white guys counting lunches on them?

I can't comment or answer because I am not familiar with it. Again, must be a West Coast thing. I must visit out there one day.

I'm done for now though, I've got customers to refuse, lol. It's been nice talking/debating with you. I think we just disagree on a few minor nuances, nothing more. And you guys calling her names should really learn a little more respect if you want to be taken more seriously than oh, say an 8th grader. If you can't make your point without the nasty names, you've got anger issues you need to work on.

Good night to all.

SS

Old 02-25-2015, 06:00 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Do you own a business?
I protest twice !

I will refuse to provide or accept services to gays.

That is irrelevant if I own a business or not. I will protest not to discriminate against gays, rather I will protest for my right to choose who I conduct business with.

Basically, unless my refusal to conduct business endangers some-one's life, it's my choice if I even engage in business at all or not.

Second part of protest is that I belong to religious order that is called Pastafarian, and I believe that the Holly Spaghetti Monster that has touched me with his noodly appendage forbids me from from providing services to certain people. If I feel weird around them, I don't have to associate with em.

Now, if I forced to conduct business with those I do not wish to conduct business with, I will refuse to conduct business period and become a burden on the tax payer.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
The Torah states: Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind; it is abomination.

That is not a judgment. That is a clear statement of what constitutes immorality and sin. It is among a list of sins that include incest and beastiality. It places no judgment on anyone. It states clearly what constitutes a sin. It has nothing to do with disagreeing with a lifestyle and there was no intention on the part of the business owner of hatred or to cause pain. She cried and hugged the person...how eeeeviiil.

You hate religion because it provides an unequivocal statement of morality. It does not bend with the shifting fads of society. It does not allow for moral equivalence. It is a foundation of moral principles.

You HATE that people uphold those morals because you choose not to and you can't handle the reality that homosexuality is a sin. Sorry, this hurts your feelings, but bullying others, belittling their faith in a moral code doesn't change that.

I love how you belittle the bible in one breath and then preach from it in the next...treating others like you want to be treated....

There is no judgment here, anymore than there is judgment on a person who steals. Stealing is a sin. Should we not pass judgment as to the crime of theft because the thief feels judged?

Nothing Barronelle did had anything to do with punishment or judgment. She stated her moral principles and apologized for being unable to perform a service that would betray her religious beliefs.

God will judge us all. He provided a guideline for us to follow in our lives. To do that, sometimes it means upholding principles that hurt other people's feelings because of their moral compass. That is how life works.

Isn't your wish for Karma a judgment on those with whom you disagree?
Here's a newsflash for you - the Torah is no more relevant to law in the United States than Peter Rabbit.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I am not familiar with the all white lunch counters case. I'm not even sure what that means really.

White guys counting lunches? White countertops? White countertops with white guys counting lunches on them?

I can't comment or answer because I am not familiar with it. Again, must be a West Coast thing. I must visit out there one day.

I'm done for now though, I've got customers to refuse, lol. It's been nice talking/debating with you. I think we just disagree on a few minor nuances, nothing more. And you guys calling her names should really learn a little more respect if you want to be taken more seriously than oh, say an 8th grader. If you can't make your point without the nasty names, you've got anger issues you need to work on.

Good night to all.

SS
The Civil Rights Movement was born in the south, not on the west coast. You've never heard of blacks being refused service at lunch counters because they were "white only"? Google it.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:

Good night to all.

SS
You actually have no idea what the reference to lunch counters meant? Are you in the US?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbbcjn4d1cE

Old 02-25-2015, 06:09 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
This boggles the mind. Do they not teach any history in US schools these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies