Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 05:21 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Sure.

1 Samuel 15:3 (KJV)

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Deuteronomy 20:16-20 (KJV)

16: But in the cities of these peoples that the LORD your God gives you for an inheritance, you shall save alive nothing that breathes, 17: but you shall utterly destroy them, the Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites and the Per'izzites, the Hivites and the Jeb'usites, as the LORD your God has commanded; 18: that they may not teach you to do according to all their abominable practices which they have done in the service of their gods, and so to sin against the LORD your God.

Joshua 11:11-14 (KJV)

11: And they put to the sword all who were in it, utterly destroying them; there was none left that breathed, and he burned Hazor with fire. 12: And all the cities of those kings, and all their kings, Joshua took, and smote them with the edge of the sword, utterly destroying them, as Moses the servant of the LORD had commanded. 13: But none of the cities that stood on mounds did Israel burn, except Hazor only; that Joshua burned. 14: And all the spoil of these cities and the cattle, the people of Israel took for their booty; but every man they smote with the edge of the sword, until they had destroyed them, and they did not leave any that breathed.

Do you have anything more recent?

SS

Old 02-25-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What you are doing is illegal.

Prohibited Practices

Southern Baptist Convention also says wives should be subservient to husbands.

Southern Baptist Convention > Basic Beliefs

"A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ. She, being in the image of God as is her husband and thus equal to him, has the God-given responsibility to respect her husband and to serve as his helper in managing the household and nurturing the next generation.."

How the husband and wife can be "equal" when one must "submit" to the other escapes me.

Now see, that's one of the few good ideas the Baptists actually have, and you want to go and shoot it down. What a buzzkill.

SS

Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but homosexuals aren't a protected class.

Race, religion, sex, age are protected.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Ok, now we're debating.......

So are you saying that the gay guys rights should be able to infringe upon the old lady's rights to religious freedom? Because if so, that's kinda how the whole country got started, and in my opinion, it'll be kinda scary if she is no longer allowed to practice her religious freedom don't you think? I mean, here's the difference....it's HER business, not a public service provided for by taxpayer dollars. So basically, using your logic, a person willing to take a huge risk and start a business, through no help of the government, can't fully make decisions about their own business because of said government?

That to me, is way scarier than any gay wedding.

SS
No, she has the right to religious freedom. Religious freedom does not extend to taking away the rights of others.

It isn't MY logic. Government regulates commerce. This is well established and nothing new. There are many laws, rules, and regulations with which business owners must comply.

Do you see the similarity between this case and all white lunch counters? The businesses of the day made the same argument.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

You are absolutely correct.

IMO, it should be a protect class, if such a thing, as protected class, is to exist at all.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 02-25-2015 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Huh? You are a college gal ain't ya?

So how about my right to pursue life, liberty and happiness.......if you make me unhappy, that means your rights have to end, and you need to do whatever I say so I can continue my right to pursue happiness?

I think you're probably a sweet girl, but those professors are ruining you darling. Again, don't get your agendas confused with freedom and liberty. They can and will be in conflict throughout your life.

SS

I'm 48, and yes I did go to college.

I'm sure you know the difference between the right to pursue happiness and the right to demand others give you happiness.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post

So Petunias "commerce law" is doing what? I would wipe courtroom floor with Petunias argument.
Well, knock yourself out. Sue someone, represent yourself, and wipe the courtroom floor. It's a free country.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Do you have anything more recent?

SS
Do I have a more recent foundational document of a recognized organized religion? Can't say that I do.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
No, she has the right to religious freedom. Religious freedom does not extend to taking away the rights of others.

It isn't MY logic. Government regulates commerce. This is well established and nothing new. There are many laws, rules, and regulations with which business owners must comply.

Do you see the similarity between this case and all white lunch counters? The businesses of the day made the same argument.
No, I get what you're saying about business regulations, but we're talking about rights here, not taxes and insurance and licensing issues. It looks to me like the woman being forced to sell him flowers (or sued for not doing so at least) is infringed upon her religious beliefs....so that is taking away HER rights.

Your premise is that her rights aren't being infringed upon because why? I'm trying hard to see your point, but I'm having difficulty through the eyes of a business owner as to how we would somehow have less rights as any other citizen, merely through the fact that we are attached to a corporation that bears our name. So you're saying business owners, the foundation of the country, should ultimately have less rights than those of everyday citizens?

I'm trying, really I am. Maybe it's a West Coast thing and I just won't get it.

SS

Old 02-25-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Actually Petunia posted the link, and yes they absolutely are. At least in Washington State they are.

Not sure how many states actually have this though.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies