Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 07:59 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's wrong when people don't have a choice, most qualified people are easily able to negotiate their own employee/employer agreement with a union in the way. Most Americans do it and have great jobs without the help of a union. People who are unproductive or aren't valuable to an employer may require a union, most people don't.
So the politics are the issue.
It is not about paying dues.
The work group has the ability to choose to be for something if it wants.
The key is not the fact that Right to Work Leg. is bad for the employee and will lead to a bad environment for all workers in that state.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:59 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Enjoy the job search. You and your co-workers have no ability to get MGT to even listen.

I did, and I will put my wages up against my counter part (unionized) works that I have better pay and benefits....

Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I did, and I will put my wages up against my counter part (unionized) works that I have better pay and benefits....
Where are you located (State)? How are your benefits and pension? Tell me, without your counter part union workers what would you be making? How would your benefits package be? Because your Corp. has a union area, how much to your group is it worth to keep that union out? You have leverage because a union could come to your group and offer a better deal.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:04 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Your hatred of unions and union people which includes me seems irrational. I don't think you know many union people and I think you ignore the benefits and necessity of a union in many work places. I have non union counterparts in my same company in other states. They make $10 less per hour and do not have my pension or retirement options. So how is that good for America? The company can easily afford to pay them what we make but they don't. Right to work works against the working man and for the company.
I will never understand how good union workers can possibly support the union system. I would be furious if I had coworkers who were inferior workers, yet made more money than I did, or couldn't be fired for horrible grievances, just because they'd managed to stay on the job.

For the record, almost my entire family is union.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Right to work takes away the ability of a group of employees to ask for better working conditions and earning's, including benefits.

The Group ALEX is about taking away the right of workers to have leverage in the work place. This bill will hurt the indiviual as there will be no threat to the Mgt. of a Company to pay at a proper level or to offer benefits.

Having dicerted a Union in 1989, yes there were benefit to that. At all times the ability to return to the union was one way that kept earnings and benefits improving. The Corp. was forced to keep earnings and benefits above what a union contract could attain. Today, with right to work, that is removed and gives Corp. an unfair advantage in the work place.
One thing I remind all, The non union members in the right to work states do not earn more or have different benefits then their co-workers. Without the ability to have a union you earn less and have less benefits (See NC)

Right to work for less with less benefits.
No it does not. Those workers can still ask for better conditions and earnings. They just can't hold the company hostage in order to gain their often unreasonable requests. I don't support extortion, which is what unions advocate.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Right to work states are not business friendly. That is another myth. If true NC would have the lowest UE rate and highest earnings in the country. Today they are near the middle on UE and the bottom on earnings. As for benefits I just vol. at a free dental clinic which had a large number of people who have no dental or medicare coverage.

Right to work= the employer does not need to offer fair wages or benefits.
Like Texas?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:09 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
So the politics are the issue.
It is not about paying dues.
The work group has the ability to choose to be for something if it wants.
The key is not the fact that Right to Work Leg. is bad for the employee and will lead to a bad environment for all workers in that state.
Unions and the corruption that they create are the issue, that includes politics, intimidating employees and employers, everything.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Try it let us know how it works. If you are in a right to work state you may get a listen and then be a joke at the next union avoidance meeting Mgt. has.
About three years ago, I went to my boss and said that I felt I should make more. I asked for an 8% raise and he got me a 10% raise.

My guess is that anybody who has skills that can be taught to another person in a week would be the joke for asking to be paid more than their value.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
How are your benefits and pension?
Pension? lol

People who feel they deserve a pension are like those 30-year-old children that still expect their parents to buy them car and pay for the gas and insurance.

My pension is the money I am saving for when I retire and no longer work for a company.

The idea that a company must pay your expenses after you no longer work for them is silly.

Just like health insurance, pensions were a way for companies to lure people to work for them, and somehow people began to feel they were automatically entitled to them. "Mommy, my car is out of gas, you need to give me money to fill it up."

Old 03-10-2015, 08:15 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
About three years ago, I went to my boss and said that I felt I should make more. I asked for an 8% raise and he got me a 10% raise.

My guess is that anybody who has skills that can be taught to another person in a week would be the joke for asking to be paid more than their value.
Union guys will never admit it but the majority of American workers aren't in unions and are able to get and keep good jobs with benefits without union help.

I've got a great salary, all the normal benefits plus a few extra, a pension, a 401K plan and good working conditions. I don't need a labor union to speak for me, I'm a big boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies