Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 08:16 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Where are you located (State)? .
Alabama....<<<<<<<<<<Yes Alabama...

Quote:
How are your benefits and pension? .
Pretty amazing, on both ends of the spectrum.

Quote:
Tell me, without your counter part union workers what would you be making? .
Just as much, that what's great about being good.

Quote:
How would your benefits package be? .
The same, noting different, we are a small company, part of ESOP, and we have continually grown over the last 20+ years, still staying in the small business categories.

Quote:
Because your Corp. has a union area, how much to your group is it worth to keep that union out?.
My Corp. does NOT have a union area....

Quote:
You have leverage because a union could come to your group and offer a better deal.
We have leverage because we are a small employee owned company (185 total), and we have a very large reputation.

I know that disturbs you, that there are jobs out there that are good, even without a union.

And just so you know, "How do I know what my union counterpart makes" I asked him....

Old 03-10-2015, 08:18 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Like Texas?

And AL..or TN....

Old 03-10-2015, 08:18 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
About three years ago, I went to my boss and said that I felt I should make more. I asked for an 8% raise and he got me a 10% raise.

My guess is that anybody who has skills that can be taught to another person in a week would be the joke for asking to be paid more than their value.
That being said shows that you are not in a position which requiers a union.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
We have leverage because we are a small employee owned company (185 total), and we have a very large reputation.
Don't you find it odd that unions never seem to start their own companies?

Quote:
That's right. People who make themselves valuable to a company don't need a union, and companies that have the ability to hire who they want employee people who add value. It's a win win.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Alabama....<<<<<<<<<<Yes Alabama...

Pretty amazing, on both ends of the spectrum.

Just as much, that what's great about being good.

The same, noting different, we are a small company, part of ESOP, and we have continually grown over the last 20+ years, still staying in the small business categories.

My Corp. does NOT have a union area....
I quess I misread that you have union counterparts

I know that disturbs you, that there are jobs out there that are good, even without a union.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Well you said that you make more then your counterparts in a union.[/color]

And just so you know, "How do I know what my union counterpart makes" I asked him....
You still have the Leverage that a union can come in. It is an advantage for you and your co-workers

Old 03-10-2015, 08:27 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Quote:
You still have the Leverage that a union can come in. It is an advantage for you and your co-workers

Just how long have you been a union worker?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Let's see here. I go to work for a company. I bust my hump everyday and try to help innovate and streamline processes. At night, when I go home, I study to improve my work.

Oh no, recession.

The company must layoff some workers because the jobs aren't there to support the number of employees.

I've only been there for two and a half years. I'm the third newest employee and the company needs to release five.

At a non-union shop, management realizes that I'm a hard worker who tries to help improve shop with new ideas. They decide I should stay and "Grumpy" Jim who essentially punches the clock while complaining how management sucks and would never consider skipping a break if there were a crunch is less valuable.

At a union shop, I go and "Grumpy" Jim stays because of seniority.

Sure, the union will work out real well for all the "Grumpy" Jims out there, but not so well for either the company or the people who work hard but just happened to be there less time.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Just how long have you been a union worker?
Decerted A Teamster local in 1989. I understood the leverage that having union membership had on a company. The work group was able to keep that in the Corp. eye and was able to maintain above contract areas. Right to work takes that away from the average employee, where a lot of employees are in the same job descripiton.

For most on this site, they are not in need of a union and have no idea what leverage for the average employee is really like in todays service economy.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Don't you find it odd that unions never seem to start their own companies?
I don't, I've been forced to work with and employ enough union workers to know that any company they started would fail miserably. Between the sub-par work quality and the lack of productivity I'm not sure what would bring it down faster. Who would they blame for all of their failures?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Let's see here. I go to work for a company. I bust my hump everyday and try to help innovate and streamline processes. At night, when I go home, I study to improve my work.

Oh no, recession.

The company must layoff some workers because the jobs aren't there to support the number of employees.

I've only been there for two and a half years. I'm the third newest employee and the company needs to release five.

At a non-union shop, management realizes that I'm a hard worker who tries to help improve shop with new ideas. They decide I should stay and "Grumpy" Jim who essentially punches the clock while complaining how management sucks and would never consider skipping a break if there were a crunch is less valuable.

At a union shop, I go and "Grumpy" Jim stays because of seniority.

Sure, the union will work out real well for all the "Grumpy" Jims out there, but not so well for either the company or the people who work hard but just happened to be there less time.
As you age and stay on your job you will be wishing for that Seniority. A lot of people who did not have Seniority lost jobs (2008-10) not because their was someone who was better but because their was someone who they could pay less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies