Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 06:36 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The union hasn't negatively affected our lives. In fact, it's just the opposite. We have never had better health insurance. And that should be the number one priority when anyone is looking for a job. You can flip off unions if you want but I don't know why you would. Is this because they donate to the democrats
You're right. I do have a problem with that whole "pay to play". More specifically, I hate unions because they force all of their members, no matter their political affiliation, to donate to the democrats.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:36 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
I've realized that there is no point in discussion with anti union partisans who cannot be reasoned with. They take the absolute extreme situation they have heard of and run with it and play it up to be routine and normal.

Union people are just people. We didn't seek out to be union people, we just needed a good job. We negotiate as a group with the best interests of the workers and the employer in mind. We aren't stupid, we appreciate our jobs. Allowing some to do the same jobs but not support the union is bad for everyone, employer included.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
unions because they force all of their members, no matter their political affiliation, to donate to the democrats.
That is a complete and utterly false lie that has been debunked time and again.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
What is funny is that in basically no RTW states have such laws been shown to result in higher wages or standards of living...I guess "right to work" supporters think Wisconsin will somehow magically end up differently, though. Maybe they think Governor Walker is a wizard.

The oil workers of ND will disagree with you...

Old 03-11-2015, 09:11 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
The oil workers of ND will disagree with you...
A short term oil boom had nothing to do with "right to work" being in place in North Dakota. Try again.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:30 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I've realized that there is no point in discussion with anti union partisans who cannot be reasoned with. They take the absolute extreme situation they have heard of and run with it and play it up to be routine and normal.

Union people are just people. We didn't seek out to be union people, we just needed a good job. We negotiate as a group with the best interests of the workers and the employer in mind. We aren't stupid, we appreciate our jobs. Allowing some to do the same jobs but not support the union is bad for everyone, employer included.
I respect and support everything you said until that last statement... can you explain that a little more?

If a non-union worker does the same job at the same quality and safety as a union worker why shouldn't they be "allowed" to do that job, assuming that they have come to an agreement with the employer on wages, benefits and everything else? How could that possibly hurt anyone else?

Old 03-11-2015, 09:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
That is a complete and utterly false lie that has been debunked time and again.
Let's say your state took tax revenue, which contribute, and donated to Republican candidates, would you feel that you are essentially forced to contribute to Republicans since a percentage of what you pay in taxes goes to their campaigns?

Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,354,246 times
The Republican attacks on unions have only one purpose, to gut support for Democrats. That is it. Destroying the middle and working classes are a GOP side benefit. The dedication to evil by Republicans is fanatical and the consequences have been very sad for the United States.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:43 AM

5,363 posts, read 5,141,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I respect and support everything you said until that last statement... can you explain that a little more?

If a non-union worker does the same job at the same quality and safety as a union worker why shouldn't they be "allowed" to do that job, assuming that they have come to an agreement with the employer on wages, benefits and everything else? How could that possibly hurt anyone else?
Cause the union can bargain up wages, better working hours, better benefits... All workers benefit from the bargaining unions do, but if all workers to do not have to pay or belong to the union, then you have a big freerider problem. That being said, are the union dues/obligations worth the benefits of bargaining a union does? That depends situation by situation.

I agree that unions should not be able to donate to political campaigns. But if unions are prohibited from doing so, corporations should be as well, and the PAC loophole should be closed.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:45 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Cause the union can bargain up wages, better working hours, better benefits... All workers benefit from the bargaining unions do, but if all workers to do not have to pay or belong to the union, then you have a big freerider problem. That being said, are the union dues/obligations worth the benefits of bargaining a union does? That depends situation by situation.

I agree that unions should not be able to donate to political campaigns. But if unions are prohibited from doing so, corporations should be as well, and the PAC loophole should be closed.
We've got 100 million workers in this country, about 6% of them are in a union... are you saying that the other 94% are freeloaders? Should all workers nationwide be paying fees to labor unions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies