Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 06:51 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Who is "they"? Funny, I never hear of anyone clamoring for Sharia law here in the U.S. The only ones who ever talk about it are rightwingers.

go to Dearborn MI, you will hear about it lots there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 06:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
go to Dearborn MI, you will hear about it lots there.
Another person who doesn't recognize satire when s/he reads it -
No, Dearborn, Michigan Is Not Under Sharia Law - The Wire

Old 03-14-2015, 06:57 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Another person who doesn't recognize satire when s/he reads it -
No, Dearborn, Michigan Is Not Under Sharia Law - The Wire

no i understand that dearborn is not under sharia law, but many muslims there are trying to get it that way.

and no i did not see the satire in her answer. not the way she wrote it.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
no i understand that dearborn is not under sharia law, but many muslims there are trying to get it that way.
I don't know how many muslims living in dearborn want to see sharia law in the US. I assume the number is not zero. But even if all of them wanted it, they wouldn't get it. See, we have this thing called the first amendment, which means that american law is *secular*. Most state constitutions, and I am sure michigan is one, have corresponding clauses.

Quote:
and no i did not see the satire in her answer. not the way she wrote it.
Not sure what you mean, but that sharia-law-in-dearborn trope arose in 2013 (snopes.com: City in Michigan First to Fully Implement Sharia Law), when a few humor-challenged people mistook an article published on a *satire* site as factual. This has been pointed out several times on c-d alone. I hope you will now join me in spreading the word that people who lie awake nights worrying about the imposition of sharia law in the US can go back to worrying about fluoridation, which is at least something that really does happen in the US..

Old 03-14-2015, 07:12 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Odd that as far as I know Kareem Abdul Jabbar never hated his team mates. You know different?
Spare me. "Conversions" to Islam, by athletes in the 70s, to avoid being sent to Viet Nam as being "consciensois objectors" as adherents to Islam is one of the biggest jokes of the last century. Especially in the wake of the Olympic attacks in Munich , the rash of airline hijackings , the Golden Age of the PLO.That's a pretty pathetic example of "peaceful Islam". Louis Farahkhan is a more proper example of Islam in America, that came out of the era in question.

Really? Lol...well, I suppose using Jabar and Ali, as "peaceful" examples of Islam, works, somewhat. They DID "convert" to avoid war. A rather.. convenient... coming to Muhammed..moment. But they do have Islamic names now, and haven't been to war, because of that.

Edit..addendum; Seen any Islamic "conscientious objectors" lately? Maybe Fort Hood counts as an Islamic objection to violence and war?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:26 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On a serious note, I believe that hte violence is not created by Islam. I believe it is hard-wired into the tribal cultures that Islam overlayed. That is why Indonesia, for example, is not nearly as vicious as some of the other lands. And why Spain, during the Moorish era and even modern-day Turkey are not as savage.
If you want to know the heart of a religion, look at it's founder. What kind of man was Mohamed? Did he preach peace? Or violence? Did he condone violence against women and children? You only need to look at the life he lived to know the true heart of the religion. He is after all its founder.

Compare the lives of Jesus and Mohammed. Which one practiced and preached peace?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Spare me. "Conversions" to Islam, by athletes in the 70s, to avoid being sent to Viet Nam as being "consciensois objectors" as adherents to Islam is one of the biggest jokes of the last century. Especially in the wake of the Olympic attacks in Munich , the rash of airline hijackings , the Golden Age of the PLO.That's a pretty pathetic example of "peaceful Islam". Louis Farahkhan is a more proper example of Islam in America, that came out of the era in question.

Really? Lol...well, I suppose using Jabar and Ali, as "peaceful" examples of Islam, works, somewhat. They DID "convert" to avoid war. A rather.. convenient... coming to Muhammed..moment. But they do have Islamic names now, and haven't been to war, because of that.

Edit..addendum; Seen any Islamic "conscientious objectors" lately? Maybe Fort Hood counts as an Islamic objection to violence and war?
Cat Stevens converted in the late 70's. All the same, there are millions of Muslim's here. I see no one turning their heads concerning rapes or murders. It doesn't appear that it actually even happened in the situation posted.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:10 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,114,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor believes Sharia should be allowed in the U.S.
Putting a burqa on her face is a good idea.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor believes Sharia should be allowed in the U.S.
Cite please? I find it odd that a practicing roman catholic would approve of sharia law.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:15 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times

Yeah, and? Murdering people is a systemic problem in the muslim culture. Atheism...not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies