Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:50 AM

25,877 posts, read 16,588,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This happened in 2012. He was sentenced to 8 years in prison and 600 lashes.

It's not clear if he was intended for release or actually released ( conflicting stories) and the royal family intervened due to public outrage and demand he be put to death. It's not clear if he remains in prison, or not.

The US has a 50 year relationship with SA and overlooks human rights issues. We supply them and other ME countries with military equipment and support ( to protect them from Israel) and they trade oil in USD.
"Protect them from Israel"

What is wrong with you? What a ridiculous statement. You know, hatred of the Jews always, without fail ends badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 06:51 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,336,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Nice attempt at deflection there... We're not talking about biases here so this has nothing to do with mine. I simply pointed out that under Sharia law stonings and honor killings may be not considered murder. I'm questioning whether they would be counted in the stats that were presented. Before you can compare stats on murders you have to define what each country considers murder. You have to decide whether you're comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges.
I care less what you think may or may not be. Your opinion is only that. When their murder rate is 20% of that of the United States you are going to have to prove a ton of murders that are ignored to make your case.

Make it or admit you can't.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:05 AM

His sentence was more than a few months and a fine.

Saudi Arabia preacher Fayhan Al Gamdi gets 8 years, 800 lashes for torturing daughter to death

Is 800 lashes a fair trade off for more years? That's a separate argument but 800 lashes is hardly a slap on the wrist. The death penalty was on the table but the girls mother dropped it.

Mother to be given SR 1 million in blood money after she dropped death penalty call

He was indeed initially sentenced to death. A country that accepts this sort of thing doesn't sentence someone to death for it.

Luma’s case shocked Saudi Arabia to the core last year when details emerged how her father tortured as she visited him and his new wife.

Odd that somewhere that this is acceptable according to some that it would shock the country and would initially end in the death penalty. Do I agree with being able to buy your way out of a sentence (note, I did not say death penalty as I disagree with the death penalty)? No I do not but that is a long way from what most here are claiming.

So boiled down, if you have money you might be able to buy your way out of a sentence that someone else might not be able to. Is that not the complaint about our justice system?

Saudi Arabia preacher Fayhan Al Gamdi gets 8 years, 800 lashes for torturing daughter to death | GulfNews.com

This was a case where a mentally unstable individual decided to take things out on the child, which we see happen here quite regularly. (And I tried to show early on until it was edited out)

Old 03-15-2015, 07:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,356,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
No, I don't defend the murder of babies. I do support a woman's right to choose, however.
Therefore, you do defend the killing of babies in the womb. Can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And I have never made the claim the Islam is a religion of peace, any more than I ever claimed that Christianity is a religion of peace. There are peaceful people in every religion, and there are monsters in every religion. I don't declare myself to be better than the whole of an entire culture for the acts of a small segment of that culture. You do that. Think on that.
If you knew anything at all about Islam, you would know that this isn't "a small segment" of Islam. It is Islam.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:24 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,744,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no reason to dispute claims that have already been properly countered.
Problem is that you haven't countered anything. Violence and murder are written into their religious texts and therefore their society since they follow it so closely. It really doesn't matter to me whether you accept that or not. Besides, no one here disputes the fact that murder rates in the US may be higher than Saudi Arabia. What we ARE talking about, however, is the acceptance level displayed by the official governments and general populatios of both societies. You have yet to counter my claim that violence and murder are more accepted in islamic cultures.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 AM

96 posts, read 85,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Therefore, you do defend the killing of babies in the womb. Can't have it both ways.
Before I continue, I would like to make clear that I'm pro-life.

You can see the pro-choice argument from the following angle.

Suppose you were drunk one night and invited a homeless junky in your home. The following day, you regret your decision from the previous night and evict the homeless junky from your home.

Question: Do you think you ought to have the right to kick the homeless junky out of your home even though you invited him in the night before?

I'll answer that for you. You would probably answer yes.

How is that any different than a woman regretting her decision and now wants to evict the baby from her womb?

Old 03-15-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Problem is that you haven't countered anything. Violence and murder are written into their religious texts and therefore their society since they follow it so closely. It really doesn't matter to me whether you accept that or not. Besides, no one here disputes the fact that murder rates in the US may be higher than Saudi Arabia. What we ARE talking about, however, is the acceptance level displayed by the official governments and general populatios of both societies. You have yet to counter my claim that violence and murder are more accepted in islamic cultures.
The rest of the story that I posted that wasn't posted by the OP or his story says otherwise. People did not turn a blind eye or care less about this. What actually happened is also a 180 from what others here claim. The mother was gave the daughter in the divorce which wouldn't have happened if things were the way some want to portray.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZombie View Post
Before I continue, I would like to make clear that I'm pro-life.

You can see the pro-choice argument from the following angle.

Suppose you were drunk one night and invited a homeless junky in your home. The following day, you regret your decision from the previous night and evict the homeless junky from your home.

Question: Do you think you ought to have the right to kick the homeless junky out of your home even though you invited him in the night before?

I'll answer that for you. You would probably answer yes.

How is that any different than a woman regretting her decision and now wants to evict the baby from her womb?
You can't kill the homeless junky.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:44 AM

13,310 posts, read 7,892,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

If you knew anything at all about Islam, you would know that this isn't "a small segment" of Islam. It is Islam.
Any Muslim who doesn't adhere to the letter, to the T, of the scripture, is a Jack Islam.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:47 AM

18,162 posts, read 15,671,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
People will try and say this is not true islam. Well, when millions of Islamic people must be confused about what is 'true islam', maybe that's a good indication the whole thing is f%cked.
No kidding. So show us "true" Islam". The killing is all we see, and these, supposed "true" Muslims don't say a thing to condemn it. Not even here, in the US, where they are totally free to speak their minds. When we do see Islamic protest, its usually damning the US, or Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies