Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:06 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times

Advertisements

The classic "but what about black on black crime" deflection

Old 04-10-2015, 10:08 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Irrelevant.

Black on black violence has nothing to do with Police killings of young black men. Stop deflecting.
Did you read the title of the OP? I did.

YOU are the one deflecting.

Just to help you understand, this is the title of the OP:

"What No One is Saying About the Killings of Blacks in America."

Now perhaps you ought to go back and read the OP, just in case you remain confused.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:11 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
ouch

Old 04-10-2015, 10:18 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

No one asks why George Zimmerman felt he had the right to harass, stalk, and then confront a teen who was guilty of no crime. No one ever mentions Dorian Johnson’s account of how the confrontation with Darren Wilson began with the officer yelling at them to get the f#@k out of the street. And is anyone even going to ask how one goes from getting pulled over for a broken tail light to being in a confrontation which ultimately gets you killed? Here’s the answer: The reason Trayvon, Michael, and Walter are dead is because they had the nerve to do the same thing me and the five teens almost got killed for that day. We had the nerve to assert our right to be respected and to get angry with someone with a gun who was either looking for a confrontation or was infuriated when we refused to bow down and be subservient.

This is what no one is talking about. But now, maybe we can.
What a bunch of rubbish.
I could not get beyond the paragraph where Dorian Johnson is quoted as if it has a scintilla of truth to what actually happened.
Remember he was an accomplice along with Brown in the store robbery. Worse, he was the one who made the false statement of Brown having his "hands up, saying don't shoot". That alone helped to create the riots or at least fuel them. That loser should be behind bars for many years.

The other problem is the attempt to throw these incidents together, as if there is a common thread. Then to try to extrapolate that someone being assertive results in unjust punishment for blacks who "should know their place and be subservient".
Guess what, everyone should act respectful toward police, regardless of race or gender. It does not mean you must grovel and lick their boots. However you also should not be mouthing off, getting into physical confrontations, or fleeing from them either.
Heck watch this unbelievable video where the LEO is being nice well beyond what most people would expect, yet the idiot woman digs herself into such a hole she and all her kids came close to being killed;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqe6Oesvhl0

So I would say that either due to racial chips on their shoulders, or just being raised without a healthy respect for authority, results in a simple interaction turning into a potentially deadly situation.

`

Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,458,097 times
Quote:
What No One is Saying About the Killings of Blacks in America -

This article might be the nest Ive seen in regards to this topic.

From the article:
About ten years ago, I was taking a group of teenagers to get lunch while volunteering at a local church. There was about six of us packed inside of my sedan– I still don’t know how we got in there, but we did. And although they were teens, each of them were taller and bigger than me, which isn’t saying much since I’m only about “yea” high. Behind us pulled in a white man looking for lunch as well. Apparently, our order took too long and he proceeded to honk his horn and began to yell profanity out his window towards us. “Hurry the f@#% up,” is what I clearly remember being the trigger that set us off and, ultimately, led to a confrontation that almost got the six us of killed. When the teens in my car responded in kind, the white man jumped out of his car and approached us ready to fight: one of him against six of us.

I tell you this story in light of all of the killings we have been seeing of black Americans for this reason: no one ever talks about the events that led to the killings. The narrative always begins with the confrontation but never with who or what created the antagonistic environment which led to the confrontation and which then led to the killings of so many African Americans. The narrative of Trayvon Martin’s death began with the fist fight that led to George Zimmerman pulling out a weapon and shooting him. The narrative of Michael Brown’s death, ostensibly, begins with the physical “confrontation” with Darren Wilson. And now, even with the video of Walter Scott, no one is asking how this broken tail light violation led to his murder. The narrative starts where the video begins.

No one asks why George Zimmerman felt he had the right to harass, stalk, and then confront a teen who was guilty of no crime. No one ever mentions Dorian Johnson’s account of how the confrontation with Darren Wilson began with the officer yelling at them to get the f#@k out of the street. And is anyone even going to ask how one goes from getting pulled over for a broken tail light to being in a confrontation which ultimately gets you killed? Here’s the answer: The reason Trayvon, Michael, and Walter are dead is because they had the nerve to do the same thing me and the five teens almost got killed for that day. We had the nerve to assert our right to be respected and to get angry with someone with a gun who was either looking for a confrontation or was infuriated when we refused to bow down and be subservient.

The only reason I am typing this blog post and not dead is because I had the advantage of being wise enough to realize that any frail man who was willing to take on six teens either had a death wish or a gun– or possibly even both. I had to survey the situation in a matter of seconds and I realized that this guy came looking for a confrontation and concluded that he had to have a gun. And being that we were in the state of Florida, he could have killed us and later claimed he was in fear of his life–conveniently leaving out that he was the provocateur who created the entire situation. And because we dared to respond in kind, he exploded in rage. I couldn’t control what was unfolding except for stalling my teens — but here was no stopping them. We were all out of our cars and I was scrambling, pulling the teens back in one at a time. Once I realized it was beyond my control, I did the only thing I could think of — I called the police.

This is what no one is talking about with regard to the killings of black people. Some white Americans feel as though they have the right to confront us and, if we do not cower before their demands–if we don’t “humble” ourselves and comply–then they become infuriated. How dare we not instantly obey the words and instructions of these angry white men? How dare we respond to them as if we are equal. How dare we demand respect not only from thugs on the street, but also from thugs with badges. No one is talking about this because we aren’t ready to confront the glaringly obvious vestiges of Jim Crow: the idea that black people should be subservient–know their place, hold their head down, and say, “Yes Sir” and “No Sir” –whenever being instructed by any white person who wants to “teach us a lesson.”

I refuse to burden this article with disclaimers about this behavior not being categorical for all of white America because so long as one white American behaves in this manner it is one too many. Trayvon is not only dead because he fought back; he is dead because he demanded to be respected as an equal. Zimmerman had no right to stalk and confront him and Trayvon had the right to stand his ground. Zimmerman created the situation, and when Trayvon did not acquiesce, he killed him. Michael Brown is dead today because he got angry with an infuriated Darren Wilson– mad because those boys didn’t bow down when he told them to “Get the f@#k out of the street.” And the only way I can fathom a police stop for a broken tail light leading to the murder of Walter Scott is if words were exchanged and Scott refused to cower before his murderer–which would have only infuriated the violent police officer more.

Our leaders ignore this. Our media ignores this. Our justice system doesn’t even consider this. All our system considers is, if at the moment of confrontation, whether the person who shot the gun feared for his or her life. And in this regard, black people are stripped of our right to be human. We are stripped of our right to get angry when we feel as though we have been mistreated and disrespected. No one cares if little people with Napoleon complexes come to assert their need for domination over a group of people whom they feel should be subservient to them. And when they find men and women who refuse to bow down, they kill them. And what does America say about this? It tells black people that we should have complied.

The most painful example of institutionalized racism is the fact that our legal system pays little, if any, regard to this truth–especially when the victim is black and dead. A dead black man can have any narrative necessary created about him. It certainly helps that America is so ready to believe that every black man is a potential thug. This helps them conclude in their minds, without any question, what happened.

True institutionalized racism is the fact that our judicial system allows the narrative to begin in the most convenient of place for the aggressor with no regard to what created the confrontation. True institutionalized racism is the fact that members of the “jury of our peers” suffer from–at best–a fundamental attribution error whenever they determine that a black person was “just violent” with no regard to the situation. True institutionalized racism is the fact that after all this, our system has the unmitigated gall to label the outcome “justice.”

We must stop minimizing these murders to simply being about black and white and we must unpack what that actually means. While there are some who are killed simply because their skin color is black, most of the cases we are seeing are deeper than that. We are being killed because we are black and because we refuse to be subservient to angry white men who feel they should have authority over us. We are being killed because we are not cowering to the demands of small people with guns who want to be free to speak to us in any manner they wish. We are being killed because we have the nerve to “
declare our right on this earth to be [men], to be human beings, [and] to be respected as human beings.”

Stating the obvious never gets anyone anywhere on C-D.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:51 AM

387 posts, read 589,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
LOL... what?

If you can't wait for your order then go inside or go to another place.
the whole purpose of a drive thru is so that you dont wait long for your order. why should i wait 20 min behind some tool that orders $30 worth of food? he's better of going inside and waiting instead of holding up the line

Old 04-10-2015, 10:56 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Really? Just which rallies about black on black violence have you seen that amount to more than token representation?
The Movement.

The ending of the drug war.

Marijuana Legalization.

But some don't want to listen. And fight tooth and nail against them. And then turn around and complain about the crime rates.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:04 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I've got news for you. I don't know what planet that article is from but it's been talked about ad nauseam.

When Blacks start accepting some responsibility for their state in life instead of blaming it on Whites at every turn, and acknowledge that things have gotten better, then Whites will continue to pay them no mind.

That's it in a nut shell.
Yup. I'm tired of this "hug-a-thug" mentality in the streets and media. Wrong is wrong. But certain members of society are given a pass because big bag whitey is holding them down or going out of their way to systematically kill them, or at least that's the way it's being sold. Making excuses for animalistic behavior and not taking responsibility.

A very wise black man once said "Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs" - Booker T. Washington

Liberal whites and blacks in politics and the media do not want blacks to get off the public dole or better themselves. For if they do, they will be out of a job. Do you think Al Sharpton really wants to see blacks prosper and grow? So long as a large segment of the black population are still poor, violent, and uneducated, guys like Sharpton will continue to get richer along with the white owned media and politicians who need crime in order to create jobs and show what "good" they are doing for blacks with handouts and social programs. Politicians want blacks to need the Government, that's how they stay employed.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:08 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
What No One is Saying About the Killings of Blacks in America -

This article might be the nest Ive seen in regards to this topic.

From the article:
About ten years ago, I was taking a group of teenagers to get lunch while volunteering at a local church. There was about six of us packed inside of my sedan– I still don’t know how we got in there, but we did. And although they were teens, each of them were taller and bigger than me, which isn’t saying much since I’m only about “yea” high. Behind us pulled in a white man looking for lunch as well. Apparently, our order took too long and he proceeded to honk his horn and began to yell profanity out his window towards us. “Hurry the f@#% up,” is what I clearly remember being the trigger that set us off and, ultimately, led to a confrontation that almost got the six us of killed. When the teens in my car responded in kind, the white man jumped out of his car and approached us ready to fight: one of him against six of us.

I tell you this story in light of all of the killings we have been seeing of black Americans for this reason: no one ever talks about the events that led to the killings. The narrative always begins with the confrontation but never with who or what created the antagonistic environment which led to the confrontation and which then led to the killings of so many African Americans. The narrative of Trayvon Martin’s death began with the fist fight that led to George Zimmerman pulling out a weapon and shooting him. The narrative of Michael Brown’s death, ostensibly, begins with the physical “confrontation” with Darren Wilson. And now, even with the video of Walter Scott, no one is asking how this broken tail light violation led to his murder. The narrative starts where the video begins.

The only reason I am typing this blog post and not dead is because I had the advantage of being wise enough to realize that any frail man who was willing to take on six teens either had a death wish or a gun– or possibly even both. I had to survey the situation in a matter of seconds and I realized that this guy came looking for a confrontation and concluded that he had to have a gun. And being that we were in the state of Florida, he could have killed us and later claimed he was in fear of his life–conveniently leaving out that he was the provocateur who created the entire situation. And because we dared to respond in kind, he exploded in rage. I couldn’t control what was unfolding except for stalling my teens — but here was no stopping them. We were all out of our cars and I was scrambling, pulling the teens back in one at a time. Once I realized it was beyond my control, I did the only thing I could think of — I called the police.

This is what no one is talking about with regard to the killings of black people. Some white Americans feel as though they have the right to confront us and, if we do not cower before their demands–if we don’t “humble” ourselves and comply–then they become infuriated. How dare we not instantly obey the words and instructions of these angry white men? How dare we respond to them as if we are equal. How dare we demand respect not only from thugs on the street, but also from thugs with badges. No one is talking about this because we aren’t ready to confront the glaringly obvious vestiges of Jim Crow: the idea that black people should be subservient–know their place, hold their head down, and say, “Yes Sir” and “No Sir” –whenever being instructed by any white person who wants to “teach us a lesson.”

I refuse to burden this article with disclaimers about this behavior not being categorical for all of white America because so long as one white American behaves in this manner it is one too many. Trayvon is not only dead because he fought back; he is dead because he demanded to be respected as an equal. Zimmerman had no right to stalk and confront him and Trayvon had the right to stand his ground. Zimmerman created the situation, and when Trayvon did not acquiesce, he killed him. Michael Brown is dead today because he got angry with an infuriated Darren Wilson– mad because those boys didn’t bow down when he told them to “Get the f@#k out of the street.” And the only way I can fathom a police stop for a broken tail light leading to the murder of Walter Scott is if words were exchanged and Scott refused to cower before his murderer–which would have only infuriated the violent police officer more.

Our leaders ignore this. Our media ignores this. Our justice system doesn’t even consider this. All our system considers is, if at the moment of confrontation, whether the person who shot the gun feared for his or her life. And in this regard, black people are stripped of our right to be human. We are stripped of our right to get angry when we feel as though we have been mistreated and disrespected. No one cares if little people with Napoleon complexes come to assert their need for domination over a group of people whom they feel should be subservient to them. And when they find men and women who refuse to bow down, they kill them. And what does America say about this? It tells black people that we should have complied.

The most painful example of institutionalized racism is the fact that our legal system pays little, if any, regard to this truth–especially when the victim is black and dead. A dead black man can have any narrative necessary created about him. It certainly helps that America is so ready to believe that every black man is a potential thug. This helps them conclude in their minds, without any question, what happened.

True institutionalized racism is the fact that our judicial system allows the narrative to begin in the most convenient of place for the aggressor with no regard to what created the confrontation. True institutionalized racism is the fact that members of the “jury of our peers” suffer from–at best–a fundamental attribution error whenever they determine that a black person was “just violent” with no regard to the situation. True institutionalized racism is the fact that after all this, our system has the unmitigated gall to label the outcome “justice.”

We must stop minimizing these murders to simply being about black and white and we must unpack what that actually means. While there are some who are killed simply because their skin color is black, most of the cases we are seeing are deeper than that. We are being killed because we are black and because we refuse to be subservient to angry white men who feel they should have authority over us. We are being killed because we are not cowering to the demands of small people with guns who want to be free to speak to us in any manner they wish. We are being killed because we have the nerve to “
declare our right on this earth to be [men], to be human beings, [and] to be respected as human beings.”

So, basically, to avoid killing blacks, don't tell them to do anything and allow them to break all the rules, and just let them be? Blacks are exempt from the law?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:29 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

A very wise black man once said "Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs" - Booker T. Washington
too bad Washington isn't seen as a role model, because he's a great one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies