Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 09:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^Wrong! See post #91
I don't have to see a post, I have seen it for 20+ years in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 09:36 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
The competent ones are probably already working somewhere else. Programmers have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.
I have had to do some hiring over the years and never, ever had a problem finding programmers.

We have a population of 300 million. You can find anyone you need right here.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You are too stuck on education and completely skip over work ethics.
Rather, she is stuck on "experience". Her argument is that if people were already working, then they are experienced. While this is technically true, experience alone doesn't make one qualified or competent. Some of the most incompetent people I've worked with have been in their positions for 10+ years and haven't been fired just because they are so good at covering their mistakes by blaming them on their coworkers. She cannot get over the idea that there are American employees that deserve to be fired and unemployed. She would rather see incompetent Americans get hired and waste the company's resources than competent foreign workers that are competent and productive get hired.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have had to do some hiring over the years and never, ever had a problem finding programmers.

Nice! What do you think is the key to your success?

Old 04-16-2015, 10:26 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
I am sure that is some good hard working Americans.
The key word is some.

I do work in numerous countries and I've never seen the citizens of those countries do the same crap as I've seen in the US. Never.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Nice! What do you think is the key to your success?
In this case, nothing really.

I used a recruiter.

And maybe a simple statistical analysis of a workforce drawn from a nation of 300 million people.

How could I lose?

Old 04-16-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
In this case, nothing really.

I used a recruiter.

And maybe a simple statistical analysis of a workforce drawn from a nation of 300 million people.

How could I lose?
Can you show me such a statistical analysis that is so simple? Clearly won't take much of your time if it is so simple.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Can you show me such a statistical analysis that is so simple? Clearly won't take much of your time if it is so simple.
Sure.

We have a population of 300 million people and I needed 3 people who could write code. The only restriction is no H1-B.

Drawing from X (300 million) to get Y (3) gave me R (32 resumes) of which I easily found Y.

Need I apologize for the ease of my search?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:00 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:

Are you talking about telecommuters or actual people?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Whatever.

Just admit that if 12 experienced American citizen IT workers are let go and replaced with 1 H1-B visa holder, then there is no shortage of experienced Americans.

Just because there are 12 people doing a job that 1 person could do, does NOT necessarily say that those 12 people were all incompetent. They are obviously experienced as they were given jobs.
I have yet to see a single H1B who could replace 12 people. It's more the other way around...you'd need at least 3-4 H1Bs to match a single competent American. The ones still in India are even worse. The offshore staff we have at my company are THE WORST. Not only are they far less productive than we are, but we spend inordinate amounts of time fixing their mistakes. Our jobs would be easier (and we'd have less to do) if they weren't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Issue here is what is the standard for as BS degree? Asian and European degrees have very little filler and are STEM. From what I've seen from current US transcripts, they have too much filler and not enough STEM. So you're not matching apples to apples. This needs to be fixed first. Scholarships are not needed for those who simply want to study IT, it needs to go to those who can maintain a B or higher is STEM classes only and thus not end up with high debt upon graduation and instead have the funds to get further education and cerifications.
I've worked with a LOT of Indian immigrants. Here's my take. They are usually somewhat competent in I.T. By "somewhat," I mean that they can complete tasks if given enough instruction and enough time. They are big cut-and-pasters. They usually do not put much thought into their code, and the quality of it is very low. I've seen such catastrophic failures in systems written by them that other on-shore departments had to be looped in to triage the errors and hot-fix them in production. Think of the most catastrophic problems you could possibly imagine in a computer system and you'd be somewhat close to the kinds of things I see on a daily basis. The only reason that the whole thing doesn't come crashing down is people like me are there to catch these people when they fall on their butts.

Also, having worked with tons of H1Bs (mostly from India), I can tell you that they are not very smart. At all. They usually know little to nothing about world history, culture, geography, government, economics, philosophy, psychology, composition and rhetoric, fine art/music, etc. This includes the history/government/etc. OF THEIR OWN COUNTRY. It's mind-boggling how ignorant some of them are. They. Know. Nothing. They're here being paid ridiculous sums of money to do jobs that Americans are fully capable of doing, and they are as helpless and naive as any 8 year-old. They will call a plumber to unclog a toilet without attempting to use a plunger first. They will call an electrician to change a light bulb. They arrive not knowing how to do laundry, how to put gas in a car, how to use a checking account, how to use an ATM, how to grocery shop, etc. It's appalling. Obviously whatever firms are sending them here do not give them even a basic crash-course in how to live/work in the United States.

I've had to explain to one of them...who just bought a half-million dollar house...how the purchase will affect their credit score, their tax burden, etc. They didn't know about property taxes. I'm guessing their mortgage broker just assumed they knew??

I've met H1Bs who didn't know anything about the history of their country prior to the 1950s. I've met some who had never heard of the Holocaust. Literally. One didn't know that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941. Some had never heard of the Roman Empire. I'm not kidding. One guy thought you could get AIDS from shaking hands. Another became very frightened of a coworker when he heard he was Jewish. I wish I was kidding.

I'm not.

Obviously, their education system is letting them down. When you sacrifice a well-rounded education in favor of a vocational system with a laser-like focus on one or two narrow subject areas, you basically produce...well...idiots. It's not their fault. But it is stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies