Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,232,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Yes, you are usually right. But it was called in the OP and throughout this thread despite the desperate attempts by Urbanlife and some other posters to defend this coward.

He really made a mess of what really would not have caused anyone to bat an eye. Which just makes him look spineless and weak.
Hey watch it, that's batman you're talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:58 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
I have ancestors that probably sold slaves, dude is a loon.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:10 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
But in an email exchange between Gates and Sony Pictures co-chairman and chief executive Michael Lynton — part of a trove of hundreds of thousands of emails and documents from last year’s Sony hack published online by WikiLeaks — Gates asks Lynton for advice on how to handle Affleck’s request.

“I would take it out if no one knows, but if it gets out that you are editing the material based on this kind of sensitivity then it gets tricky. Again, all things being equal I would definitely take it out,” Lynton wrote that same day.
this may be a dumb question, but what is the tie-in between sony pictures and PBS?

Old 04-22-2015, 12:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Yeah, you keep thinking this while your side is proven to hunt down young bakery women and try to destroy their lives over their faith, that wasn't an issue until a reporter made it an issue.......the left just hunts for their prey!

Nobody is OUTRAGED and nobody is SURPRISED a liberal would try to lie and hide from their relatives past.
Two completely different topics, Affleck isn't violating any business laws by not wanting to talk about something in his ancestry. You do realize every tv show is edited?

Old 04-22-2015, 12:30 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
this may be a dumb question, but what is the tie-in between sony pictures and PBS?
Not a dumb question at all. Henry Louis Gates gates reached out to Lynton, Sony Pictures co-chairman and chief executive for advice on how to handle Affleck's pressure to suppress what was found during the investigation into his ancestry.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:36 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Not a dumb question at all. Henry Louis Gates gates reached out to Lynton, Sony Pictures co-chairman and chief executive for advice on how to handle Affleck's pressure to suppress what was found during the investigation into his ancestry.
thanks.
so they're personal friends, I take it?

Old 04-22-2015, 12:54 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Yes, you are usually right. But it was called in the OP and throughout this thread despite the desperate attempts by Urbanlife and some other posters to defend this coward.

He really made a mess of what really would not have caused anyone to bat an eye. Which just makes him look spineless and weak.

Usually

Phht...

Old 04-22-2015, 12:56 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
thanks.
so they're personal friends, I take it?
From the article, that was my impression, fwiw. It seemed like Gates was unaccustomed to handling the fragile egos of a "megastar".

Old 04-22-2015, 01:54 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Ben Affleck Pressured PBS to Edit Out Slave-Owning Grandfather in Ancestry Doc - Breitbart

I bet a lot of people have slave owners in their family if their ancestors are from the South. The celebrities who are on this show have a problem if they want to hide that.
I heard about it and thought it was really weird, not to mention censorship.
They exposed Anderson Cooper's slave owning family past.
Guess Ben wants everyone to get the memo: I Can rewrite history.

I'm not buying that he didn't want it in simply because he was embarrassed.
I mean come on, we all remember Beniffer and Gigli.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 04-22-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Affleck seemed to have a problem, he wanted it censored and it was taken out.
It's not really censored since this wasn't a news program. Doesn't a person have a right to control how much information about their history gets out in an entertainment program? I think it's stupid that he was so embarrassed about it, but people like to take credit when ancestors were really good so I guess it would follow that some people would be ashamed of ancestors that were bad. And was he really bad? Are we to judge people of the past with modern morals? Yes, slavery was awful, but before it was abolished in the 19th Century it was in common practice all over the world, in nearly every society on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies