Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:56 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Question. I saw four male officers in the video, as they put Freddie in the van. Why are the two female officers charged? What did they allegedly do?

Mick
Only 1 female officer, the rest were males.

Quote:
The sergeant, she said, spoke to the back of Mr. Gray’s head, but he did not
respond. “She made no effort to look, or assess, or determine his condition,”
Ms. Mosby said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/us...tors.html?_r=0

Much more at the link above and gives the reasons why each were charged and the charges.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:59 AM

593 posts, read 668,256 times
Over-charging from the get go. I believe FG died as a result of negligence but i do not think there was any intent to kill. It was nothing more than a preventable accident. No one beat the **** out of him and broke his spine. I would be willing to bet FG did more damage to himself than the police did. Everyone gets on their high horse about he should have been belted in, and while i do agree that logically he should have been, when looking at a real life situation i understand why he wasn't.

Put yourself in the shoes of a inner city cop who transports trash after trash day in and out to jail. They likely get spit on, assaulted, ect on a regular basis. Eventually you start to toughen up and say ********** and just throw them in the back with out belting them in. While it is wrong, i get the logic behind it when putting myself in their shoes.

The cops responsible should face some consequences but charging all of them is nothing short of idiotic. 6 men did not contribute to his death, more than likely 1-2 did. When charges start getting dropped and those upstanding citizens start rioting again do not be surprised. Had this been handed properly as a true investigation rather than a political show, the end result would likely be much more favorable for everyone invovled then i am predicting what will actually happen.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justw8 View Post
I heard an audio of where they tried to get him medical attention but no one showed up. Meaning it was called in after about the time of the first or second stop.
When it's disclosed that the cops did call for medical attention, not much will change. Whether the cops and EMT didn't connect because of negligence or miscommunication, some will argue it was intentional misconduct, others won't care because, whatever the reason, Gray died.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Over-charging from the get go. I believe FG died as a result of negligence but i do not think there was any intent to kill. It was nothing more than a preventable accident. No one beat the **** out of him and broke his spine. I would be willing to bet FG did more damage to himself than the police did. Everyone gets on their high horse about he should have been belted in, and while i do agree that logically he should have been, when looking at a real life situation i understand why he wasn't.

Put yourself in the shoes of a inner city cop who transports trash after trash day in and out to jail. They likely get spit on, assaulted, ect on a regular basis. Eventually you start to toughen up and say ********** and just throw them in the back with out belting them in. While it is wrong, i get the logic behind it when putting myself in their shoes.

The cops responsible should face some consequences but charging all of them is nothing short of idiotic. 6 men did not contribute to his death, more than likely 1-2 did. When charges start getting dropped and those upstanding citizens start rioting again do not be surprised. Had this been handed properly as a true investigation rather than a political show, the end result would likely be much more favorable for everyone invovled then i am predicting what will actually happen.
2nd degree depraved heart murder isn't about intent. Intent would be a premeditated murder 1 charge.

Quote:
Depraved heart murder is a characterization of a particular circumstance of
second degree murder. Second degree murder, which criminal law defines as a
depraved heart murder, is characterized by murder conducted with reckless
disregard for the consequences of the preceding act.

West Virginia was considering adopting a set of special jury instructions in cases when the prosecution was seeking convictions of second degree murder and believed the murderer was depraved. In order for the jury to sustain a guilty verdict, the killer must have engaged in a grossly reckless act which resulted in the unintentional killing of another person and the death was caused with extreme indifference to both the value of individual life and the safety of anyone who was in the area where the act took place.

Depraved indifference, which is more commonly used term for depraved heart murder, can overcome the requirement of proving intent to kill in murder cases because the extreme indifference the killer shows towards life is more serious than their lack of intent to kill the particular victim.

Depraved Heart Murder - criminal | Laws.com

Old 05-08-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:

In other words, Maryland's Court of Appeals said in 1997, the law prohibits
"the deliberate perpetration of a knowingly dangerous act with reckless and
wanton unconcern and indifference as to whether anyone is harmed or not."

In Maryland, depraved-heart murder is a type of second-degree murder. The
charge carries a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison.

Baltimore police officer Caesar R. Goodson Jr. was charged with
depraved-heart murder Friday in connection with Gray's death, State's Attorney
Marilyn Mosby said.
What is 'depraved-heart' murder?

A better description of that top charge.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:14 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
What is 'depraved-heart' murder?

A better description of that top charge.
The charging document alleges that Goodson 'feloniously and with malice aforethought' killed and murdered' Gray.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:37 PM

http://foxbaltimore.com/images/officercharges1.jpg

I don't see that with malice and forethought anywhere on this document.

If SA Mosley said it, then this is probably how she will show her case/evidence.

Last edited by Amythyst; 05-08-2015 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: posted image

Old 05-08-2015, 01:46 PM

222 posts, read 185,714 times
As a city employee I'm wondering why he would risk his reputation career and pension (he was working for BPD for over 20 years with no intentions of advancing - just going to get a check) why he would risk all of that for FREDDIE GRAY. That doesn't add up

Old 05-08-2015, 05:09 PM

35,074 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Do you mean to tell me that the police investigation of police misconduct might favor the police? SHOCKING!
That obvious flaw aside, the police investigation has no bearing on whether or not charges will be dropped. The police don't decide that.
Are you saying we need to put the thugs on equal footing for combat with the police?

Old 05-08-2015, 07:42 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
This tabloid changes nothing, and is meaningless. When a true newspaper covers it, post that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies