Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM

674 posts, read 611,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
OP, as you can see many AGW types have bought into the lies their leaders keep pushing. the reality is that more taxation and more regulation are just ways for the government to increase its size, and its hold over the people.

and you can always tell those that want to actually do something as opposed to those that want more government power. the ones that want higher taxes, carbon taxes, more government regulation, are the ones that want more power.

Nice attempt, but wrong.

Your statement that "you can always tell those that want to actually do something" is false. I'll bet you didn't know the lengths to which I go to conserve electricity, water, and gas. I do my part, and I'd be willing to bet that I do it a lot better than you do. I do what I can even though the worst of the effects of climate change won't be felt until after I'm gone.

Nowhere in here did I advocate for a carbon tax, by the way. I simply explained the logic behind one. Of course, that doesn't matter to you. You see the enemy, and the enemy must be fought, tooth and nail.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Nice attempt, but wrong.

Your statement that "you can always tell those that want to actually do something" is false. I'll bet you didn't know the lengths to which I go to conserve electricity, water, and gas. I do my part, and I'd be willing to bet that I do it a lot better than you do. I do what I can even though the worst of the effects of climate change won't be felt until after I'm gone.

Nowhere in here did I advocate for a carbon tax, by the way. I simply explained the logic behind one. Of course, that doesn't matter to you. You see the enemy, and the enemy must be fought, tooth and nail.
congrats to you, you are one of those that want to do something. it may be true that you have not called for more taxation, or more regulation, but many others have. and those many others are the ones that want a government solution, not a real one.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:48 PM

674 posts, read 611,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
congrats to you, you are one of those that want to do something. it may be true that you have not called for more taxation, or more regulation, but many others have. and those many others are the ones that want a government solution, not a real one.
On this issue, I don't really know what will work. I can only act as an individual with an extremely limited amount of political power (i.e., I can vote, but in a two-party system, I can't really deliver a message on any single issue). Still, I can keep my electricity use to a bare minimum, I can recycle as much water as possible, and so on. In my experience, this leads to a more fulfilling life, since it cuts down on the numbness that is often brought on my wasteful consumption.

I'm not really very confident that we'll find anything that will work, since even if the U.S. manages to make reasonable progress on this matter, we're not the only country in the world, and we'll need international cooperation in order to stop before we reach the point of no return. Even if carbon taxes turn out to be the best solution, enforcing them worldwide would be basically impossible. I'm not an expert on environmental policy; I can only say so much.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:56 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Don't you guys understand, this science is settled....end of story....

Even though, 50 years ago we were heading into an ice age....

Old 06-30-2015, 04:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
On this issue, I don't really know what will work. I can only act as an individual with an extremely limited amount of political power (i.e., I can vote, but in a two-party system, I can't really deliver a message on any single issue). Still, I can keep my electricity use to a bare minimum, I can recycle as much water as possible, and so on. In my experience, this leads to a more fulfilling life, since it cuts down on the numbness that is often brought on my wasteful consumption.

I'm not really very confident that we'll find anything that will work, since even if the U.S. manages to make reasonable progress on this matter, we're not the only country in the world, and we'll need international cooperation in order to stop before we reach the point of no return. Even if carbon taxes turn out to be the best solution, enforcing them worldwide would be basically impossible. I'm not an expert on environmental policy; I can only say so much.
but you ARE doing something as an individual. you are cutting your use of resources, and you are recycling, and you are telling others that you are doing these things. and when others see that you havent lost anything, they will take up the cause as well. as that expands across your town, your country, your state, your country, your world, things will change.

i respect people who are doing things to make a difference. i minimize the amount of driving i do, we also recycle, and to the extent we can, we minimize the use of water and electricity.

ed bagley jr is an environmentalist i have great respect for because he also walks the walk.

like i say its the ones that advocate for a government solution, yet do nothing on their own, that i have no respect for.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:26 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Typical sin taxes do not drive jobs overseas.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:30 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Typical sin taxes do not drive jobs overseas.
Nor do carbon taxes.
All You Need to Know About BC

Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
I guess I didn't know CO2 was a pollutant. I always thought it was an essential molecule for life.
Any chemical even water or nitrogen is a pollutant, contaminant or toxic under certain conditions. If I locked you in a tank and filled it with water you would die. A NASA Shuttle Technician either ignored the tagging or disabled an interlock on a chamber on the Shuttle housing engine pumps. These chambers are inerted with pure nitrogen during flight preparations. He suffocated in pure nitrogen. CO2 dioxide would do the same and is sometimes used in place of nitrogen. CO2 also mixes with water to make H2CO3 a weak acid that is killing fish, corals and amphibians. It is accelerating the corrosion destroying our roads and bridges. The increase in the concentration of this acid in water is directly proportional to the build up of CO2 in our atmosphere.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
All these taxes and regulations are just a way for the government to line their pockets, we have greenhouse gas regulations, essentially hot air, we are required to record temperatures and pressures of our high pressure steam lines, we have to pay fees for these programs and pay for government inspections by a contractor and in the end this High pressure steam is just injected straight up into the atmosphere but at least we pay our fees and record the temp. and pressure. That's your government taking care of you.
Keeping an eye and record of temperature and pressure in a place that produces or uses high pressure steam is important. Do you have any idea how fast a steam leak can boil you alive and kill you? How fast a steam blast can strip the flesh off of an arm a leg or a face ? Dozens of workers in this country are killed by staem leaks in tunnels carrying steam lines or in Thermal Power Plants.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Keeping an eye and record of temperature and pressure in a place that produces or uses high pressure steam is important. Do you have any idea how fast a steam leak can boil you alive and kill you? How fast a steam blast can strip the flesh off of an arm a leg or a face ? Dozens of workers in this country are killed by staem leaks in tunnels carrying steam lines or in Thermal Power Plants.
yeah it's real dangerous but recording the temps and pressure for greenhouse gas regulations and then releasing the steam into the atmosphere is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies