Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:38 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
By increasing the costs of energy and making consumers use less energy that generates more profits for the 1%. That money can be spent developing third world countries, generating a lower standard of living for developed countries and making even more money for the 1%.
Who said any of this would cool the planet? It won't, the planet will do it itself. But taking credit will make this scam seem real.
How on earth do you think that consumers using LESS energy will produce more profit? That makes no sense at all....Here is how it works...A tax on carbon raises the price....People buy less.....This reduces their carbon footprint and decreases emissions....If the entire world did this CO2 levels would stop rising, and in a few hundred years or so CO2 levels would begin to decrease.....

Old 07-01-2015, 02:00 PM

672 posts, read 811,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Well, except for the fact that the people who study this stuff for a living say that you're wrong.

As for the original post in this thread, well, a tax on something would be intended to provide incentive not to do it. Just like a sin tax. Want people to burn less gas? Impose a gas tax. Want people to consume less soda? Have a soda tax.

Want greedy billionaires not to ruin the environment for our grandchildren? Tax their sins.

This probably isn't enough, but it's a step in the right direction. A lot more needs to be done.
Wait a minute. I thought taxes didn't drive businesses away. At least that's what my progressive state keeps telling the people.

So if you tax more of my work, that would in incentive to do less buy that logic. Tax more of property for most of the people to own less.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:23 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:

If you don't want to be associated with fringe opinions, don't share one. Simple. Side with the scientific experts instead of with the people with no expertise in the field but who are somehow certain that the experts are wrong.
Climatology is a fringe science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ate_scientists

Old 07-01-2015, 02:43 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,948,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post

Climatology abandoned the "fringe" and became a cargo cult when they adopted post-normal science.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:45 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
BUT water vapor is the #1 greenhouse gas -
AND the atmosphere COOLS the planet!

(But I am no "expert" so any recitation of facts is to be ignored)

Old 07-01-2015, 03:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
The thing is, the industries that contribute to pollution aren't necessarily bad. The problem is the amount of fossil fuels we burn. We need to cut back and find newer, better sources of power.

Something like arsenic needs to be stopped immediately; we're not trying to find a middle ground between too much arsenic and none; we want there to be no poison in our food, so we can simply ban that.
LOL, nice try, but fail. All they would need to do is impose limits, not completely eliminate them. They could impose limits for each country and allow that country decide best how to control each particular industry.

The problem there is that the real goal wouldn't be met - money through taxes.

Quote:
I object, by the way, to your using China as an example, since you're contributing to stereotypes that paint China in an excessively negative light. It's ultimately the sort of thing fueled by, and in turn fueling, a lot of casual racism, so it's worth calling it out.
I object to you failing to use common sense.

I also object to you going to the "racism" card on your very first response. Common courtesy has always been that you throw the racism card once you've been defeated in at least two posts.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
BUT water vapor is the #1 greenhouse gas -
AND the atmosphere COOLS the planet!

(But I am no "expert" so any recitation of facts is to be ignored)
Duly noted and ignored.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:07 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Here is how it works...A tax on carbon raises the price....People buy less.....This reduces their carbon footprint and decreases emissions....If the entire world did this CO2 levels would stop rising, and in a few hundred years or so CO2 levels would begin to decrease.....
Here is how it works...A tax on carbon raises the price on everything...Poor people can buy less...This reduces their ability to provide food and decreases their standard of living...If the entire world did this the cost on all goods would continue rising, and in a few hundred years or so rich people would still be the elite and politicians like Obama will still be flying around the world to sit on a particular beach because he is more important than poor people.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Nor do carbon taxes.
All You Need to Know About BC
That's right. You get OPM; other peoples money.

I would never pay a carbon tax. I heat my house with wood. I make my own diesel.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That's right. You get OPM; other peoples money.

I would never pay a carbon tax. I heat my house with wood. I make my own diesel.
And your aircraft runs on imagination I guess....I like our carbon tax and so do most of the people in BC. I don't get other people's money...I get my own money back through income tax cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies