Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 03:23 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
No thanks. I pay enough in taxes, and subsidize enough deadbeats

But you just want to make energy more expensive for certain nations right?

This is great progress?

https://twitter.com/RogerPielkeJr/media

Coal power installation was 17 times the amount of solar last year? That's progress?

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...l-trends/?_r=2

The Chinese (and others) can make pledges all day long, that doesn't mean they will be fulfilled

Just as long as you are clear on that

Btw, how many Canadian heads are in the tar sands
In realize that political promises are often written in sand, and I have never said that Canada, particularly Alberta has clean hands. As a matter of fact our present Prime Minister is a conservative climate change denier who has been promoting development of the tar sands project, but there is an election coming on October 19th...Hopefully we can make a change and fix that problem.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Then you have a reading problem...You said "B.C. enacted a tax that doesn't actually cover much of anything"
Kinda like saying all you are going to enact a tax on cars.....that run on steam.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Kinda like saying all you are going to enact a tax on cars.....that run on steam.
You are making zero sense......You will probably have to talk to Jay Leno about steam cars, as I'm pretty sure he has at least one.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:46 PM

674 posts, read 611,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
LOL, nice try, but fail. All they would need to do is impose limits, not completely eliminate them. They could impose limits for each country and allow that country decide best how to control each particular industry.

The problem there is that the real goal wouldn't be met - money through taxes.

I object to you failing to use common sense.

I also object to you going to the "racism" card on your very first response. Common courtesy has always been that you throw the racism card once you've been defeated in at least two posts.
You get called a racist often enough that you have rules for it? That should tell you something about yourself. It's not a good thing. Stop being racist and people will stop calling you racist. Simple.

The "real goal" should be reducing carbon emissions, yes. The U.S. doesn't have the authority to do so unilaterally, but that's what treaties are for.

Unfortunately, everyone's going to have to work together to solve this problem, and there are enough people moaning about it that it's going to be very difficult to get everyone onboard. That's why I'm not very optimistic.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
You get called a racist often enough that you have rules for it? That should tell you something about yourself. It's not a good thing. Stop being racist and people will stop calling you racist. Simple.

The "real goal" should be reducing carbon emissions, yes. The U.S. doesn't have the authority to do so unilaterally, but that's what treaties are for.

Unfortunately, everyone's going to have to work together to solve this problem, and there are enough people moaning about it that it's going to be very difficult to get everyone onboard. That's why I'm not very optimistic.
Taxing the poor isn't how its going to get done. I wonder how many solar panels could be installed with the cost of one week of war?

Old 07-02-2015, 03:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
Here is a chance for the climate change crowd to have a discussion.....please tell us how a carbon tax will cool the planet?

Will taxing Americans alone solve the problem?

Will giving the 3rd World nations more aid cool the planet?

Will reducing the standard of living by 30% take care of Americans?
First, I want to know what they are going to do with the carbon tax money???
Where will it go, who will spend it, and on what???

It's not nice to fool mother nature and I don't think throwing money at
her helps much either.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM

1,245 posts, read 924,089 times
Quote:
And your aircraft runs on imagination I guess....I like our carbon tax and so do most of the people in BC. I don't get other people's money...I get my own money back through income tax cuts.
Speaking of imagination, I see you're still trying to sell us that people like carbon taxes in BC, which is an absolute lie, because I actually read the comments below the article. The United States and BC are two completely different places. Since obama has ran up the debt so high, that carbon tax will likely go to pay that, and prop up obamcare and and all his other failed polices.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
First, I want to know what they are going to do with the carbon tax money???
Where will it go, who will spend it, and on what???

It's not nice to fool mother nature and I don't think throwing money at
her helps much either.
Every penny goes back to individuals and businesses...The folks who paid the tax....

“Revenue-neutral” by law, the policy requires equivalent cuts to other taxes. In practice, the province has cut $760-million more in income and other taxes than needed to offset carbon tax revenue.

The result is that taxpayers are coming out ahead. B.C. now has the lowest personal income tax rate in Canada (with additional cuts benefiting low-income and rural residents) and one of the lowest corporate rates in North America. You shouldn’t need an economist and a mining entrepreneur to tell you that’s good for business and jobs. The shocking truth about B.C.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
Speaking of imagination, I see you're still trying to sell us that people like carbon taxes in BC, which is an absolute lie, because I actually read the comments below the article. The United States and BC are two completely different places. Since obama has ran up the debt so high, that carbon tax will likely go to pay that, and prop up obamcare and and all his other failed polices.
Who is the liar?

The tax has actually become quite popular. “Polls have shown anywhere from 55 to 65 percent support for the tax,” says Stewart Elgie, director of the University of Ottawa’s Institute of the Environment. “And it would be hard to find any tax that the majority of people say they like, but the majority of people say they like this tax.” Here’s why B.C.’s carbon tax is super popular — and effective | Grist

According to the survey, 59 per cent of Canadians in the rest of the country would support a B.C.-style carbon tax in their own province. And support for the carbon tax goes beyond Canada’s borders, with it being highlighted as a model for broader adoption in the Economist, the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times. http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion...o-grow-1.31746

Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Every penny goes back to individuals and businesses...The folks who paid the tax....
There is no free lunch, the consequences are increases to the cost of goods. You wouldn't need a carbon tax otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies