Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 02:30 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I would't say they have ill intentions. Just wanting to work, even if it's illegal, isn't immoral in any measurable way. Remember, just because a crime doesn't mean it's a wrongful action. Many crimes are simply crimes because they disrupt the usual flow of society. Like speeding. You get a ticket instead of being sent to prison, but it's still a crime.

And anything can be argued victimless besides the obvious crimes. Speeding is selfish because it endangers others, encourages others to speed and thus become criminals, who according to pretty much everyone when they make grandiose statements about crimes, makes them the embodiment of evil.

But I'm not a statist....

And the ones who do commit ID theft, yes, that's a problem. The ones who commit SS fraud, yes, that's a problem, albeit less than the former as SS is something of a scam anyway. But that doesn't mean they have ill intentions. Ill intentions are defined as doing wrongful things for the wrong reasons. These are, at best, doing ethically questionably things for sensible reasons. As I said, unless a serious crime is committed, let's not over exaggerate what they've done.
Unbelievable the way you make excuses for illegal aliens! You're yet another one who equates sneaking across a border or overstaying a visa to getting a speeding ticket

Deliberately deciding to sneak across a border or overstay a visa is "a wrongful action".

How is SS "something of a scam"? What are you talking about? Speaking of SS---the law says it's okay if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. Should that happen to you, the SSA won't tell you about it. Instead you find out when the IRS comes after you for not filing a tax return on a job you never worked.

So many native born Puerto Ricans have become victims of ID theft that the Puerto Rican government declared all PR-issued birth certificates null and void. Now if native born PRs need a copy of their birth certificate, they have to jump through many hoops to get a secured, certified copy. It's bad enough that their IDs were stolen but even worse, some have been arrested for crimes they didn't commit. Yet you twist yourself into a pretzel to defend illegal aliens.

There is nothing "sensible" about illegal immigration. How anyone can even make that argument is beyond despicable. And even worse---wanting to reward them with a path to citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I would also like to point out a pretty inconvenient truth to the Trump lovers... Crime has been dropping in all states and pretty much every city in the United States for a good 20-30 years, the exact same time that illegal immigration has reached record or near record levels and in which the overall illegal population continued to climb. How do you reconcile these two facts if you believe that illegals are themselves mostly, if not completely, violent criminals? There would be no logical way that crime rates would fall as much as they have if that were true.
Not just that, but the big cities with the lowest level of crime, El Paso, Austin, San Diego, and San Jose, all have sizeable populations of Latino immigrants, including illegal immigrants. Meanwhile, high crime Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, Memphis, and St. Louis have few immigrants, legal or illegal, Latino or non-Latino. New Orleans before Katrina had the fewest illegal immigrants of any large US city (although this has changed)- so based on Trump's logic it should have been the safest big city in the US.

I oppose sanctuary cities and think they should be shut down but let's not demonize immigrants unnecessarily like Trump does.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:07 PM

368 posts, read 413,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The city violated and has policies that are in violation of federal law. It's pretty interesting that the administration will sue Arizona for trying to enforce a law that fits with federal law because it's thier domain, but is silent on cities openly saying they will not comply with the federal law.
Well said. Exactly

Old 07-08-2015, 03:12 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't think they're liable for murder. But sanctuary cities are contrary to federal law as interpreted ever since the 1840s, and they could be subject to charges for contempt of court, obstruction of justice, and RICO.
RICO might be a fascinating law experiment. Im not a attorney though, so no idea if its really applicable.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
RICO might be a fascinating law experiment. Im not a attorney though, so no idea if its really applicable.
Concealing, harboring or shielding an illegal immigrant from detection, or attempting to conceal, harbor, or shield an illegal immigrant from detection, is a predicate offense under RICO. I.e. a charge which constitutes racketeering.

So is obstruction of justice, also a relevant charge.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1961

Old 07-08-2015, 03:30 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times
If this were my daughter, the city council would be sued, along with ANYONE else responsible for something as moronic as a "sanctuary city".

What the city council needs is a wake-up call, and this is it. I'm sure they've got lawyers, because they are going to need them.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:32 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Concealing, harboring or shielding an illegal immigrant from detection, or attempting to conceal, harbor, or shield an illegal immigrant from detection, is a predicate offense under RICO. I.e. a charge which constitutes racketeering.

So is obstruction of justice, also a relevant charge.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1961

I will take your word for it.

What about pot legalization laws at the state level?

I mean...you can't go after then for NOT enforcing federal laws correct? But you could go after them for advertising the fact, and encouraging the acts correct?

Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
The entire Democratic Party is a criminal racket whose members will be prosecuted using RICO laws.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 PM

998 posts, read 665,650 times
The people of SF have voted time and time again and this is what they want.. liberalism really is a mental disorder. When your personal safety and that of your loved ones takes a backseat over the fear of potentially "hurting the feelings" of illegal immigrants, there's a problem.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:37 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
And he was deported 5 times, which means he didn't exactly get any sanctuary. Dumb thread, but let's be honest, what threads in the Politics forum are not dumb?
No, dumb post on your part. Did you read the OP? The city of SF REFUSED to turn him over to ICE as requested. So yes, he did get sanctuary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies