Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 09:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Sen. Mitch McConnell is going to introduce legislation that would be called Kate's law. Kate Steinle was the woman killed by a man that had been deported back to Mexico 5 times.

Kate's Law would mandate prison time for 5 years for those caught back in this country after being deported.
The Mitch McConnell website is taking signatures for the required petition.
I certainly intend to sign it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Is it a deterrent or are we just be going to be filling more jails?

This may be a good law but only if it's augmenting some very drastic changes in how illegals are handled to begin with. Mandate e-verify nationwide and implement severe penalties for those hiring them. Problem solved.
Probably both, but if many of these guys and gals know they are going to be caught they might think twice about re-entering the country. I agree with the penalty part for those hiring them as well, but many enter again and again and make no attempt to find work. They know how to use the system.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
A stolen FedLE weapon. Mmmmm. The agent who it belonged to should have already been getting a pretty good rip for losing it to theft, now, having it used in a random, high profile, homocide...well, someone, somewhere, should be dropping Twinkies in the commode. I'm quite surprised this surfaced. Its the kind of thing the AGs office really hates dealing with. This aspect of the case will see some spin, serious attempts at downplay.

It might even work, with a Fed friendly media. It can't be the fault of a fed, it has to turn out some civilian bad been entrusted with the weapon, or some such nonsense. I've seen some doozies on lost/stolen weapon reports, whilst working for DoD. ATF investigated these things. The one that really pops for me, was one where a blue painted, simunitions, M4, came up missing after a training exercise. The interesting contrast, to the case being discussed here, was that ATF went , immediately, public with it. Put out flyers, offered a reward for information leading to the weapons recovery, etc. Plastered the countryside with postings.

This weapon wasn't even a live ammo firing piece, and would be rather complicated, for an average Joe, to make it so. I wonder, was the same concern made over the weapon lost to this Fed in SF? His was a live piece, after all. I would think they would have had the same concern for public safety in that case. Especially in an urban area like SF. That M4 came up missing from a remote place, and the tow s in proximity are far less congested and crime riddled as a large metro, mitigating public danger somewhat.

It would be interesting to know how they handled this missing pistol , as compared to other cases I've seen.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
That'll do it.. fill our jails and cost taxpayers fortunes... How bout we secure the border a little better and stop giving incentives to the illegals. Of course not Mitch old boy... this should score him some political points

Old 07-08-2015, 10:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Any law that includes the victim's name is a bad law.

Not to say such proposed legislation is not well intended the problem always is immature wording birthed prematurely simply to satisfy emotional turmoil.
There is an existing Kate's Law that has nothing to do with immigration.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Former Seattle Police chief Gil Kerlikowske, who is ardently anti-gun, once had a Glock pistol stolen out of his parked vehicle. It was never recovered. Funny how those who yowl loudest for restrictions on others can't handle their own guns in a responsible manner.

Kerlikowske later was made drug czar by Obama, and now is head of US Customs.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. No jobs. No social welfare benefits. No birthright citizenship for the children of illegal alien parents (make an exception for children born in the U.S. to those authorized to be in the country, green card, etc., AND are legally pursuing naturalization).

And I'm not sure how many people realize this, but IL law (as is true in many states) is that public schools cannot require proof of U.S. citizenship to enroll students, nor can they require proof of residence if the child's parent(s) or guardian(s) are homeless. Illegals very frequently pay no state or federal income tax as they're paid in cash under the table, pay no property tax because they're homeless, and their children cost public school districts HUGE amounts of money in bilingual classes and other special services.

Texas enacted legislation that enabled the state to charge tuition for educating foreign born children of illegal immigrants. SCOTUS overruled the state. This was back in the mid 70's, 40 years ago. No schools ask for proof of citizenship.

Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's. In response, Congress and Reagan gave about 6 million illegal immigrants amnesty. Reagan made all sorts of promises to secure the borders and impose serious consequences on employers who hire undocumented workers. Nothing thing came of it.

It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority. Doing nothing for 30 years is no accident and defacto amnesty.

It is understood that importing cheap labor causes a greater supply than demand and keeps wages down. It increases profits and there is a trickle down to consumers.

It is understood that the ability to employ undocumented workers is a giant hand out to small businesses.

Congress, regardless of which party holds the temporary majority, does not bite the wallets that feed them.

You won't find many legislators clamoring for serious consequences for business owners/ CEOs who employ, directly or indirectly via sub contractors, undocumented workers. Why is this?

The anchor baby thing is a Constitutional issue. No president has the authority to amend the constitution. It's up to Congress and then a minimum of 38 states to ratify it.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:54 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It is understood that importing cheap labor causes a greater supply than demand and keeps wages down.
Exactly. End the supply of cheap labor and wages will increase.
Quote:
The anchor baby thing is a Constitutional issue.
Actually, it isn't. Cite the Constitutional amendment that allows for anchor baby birthright citizenship.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:58 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
AFAIK he had no violent past. Is a city liable for the actions of all homeless people with drug arrests if they turn violent?
Has any city, police department, or councilman been succussfully charged or convicted because a felon "was loose and should have been behind bars"?
Did you not read this part? "U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Sanchez was turned over to San Francisco authorities in March, and that the agency had asked for him to remain in custody until immigration authorities could pick him up. That request was not honored, ICE told The Associated Press."

Old 07-08-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
E-verify doesn't address the issue of independent contractors, which is a large problem.

We need to end the anchor baby draw, and stop educating illegal immigrant children as well. A 10% wire tax on remittances might not hurt either.
Someone engages the independent contractor for work.

My roofing story again.......

I needed the roof on my house replaced. Most roofers in my area employ or sub contract independent contractors who are undocumented. I made it clear during the brief interviewing process that if the roofer employed or engaged an undocumented worker, the contract would be null and void. All but one contractor, a father and son, were willing to enter into a roofing contract with me, under these terms. Their price was competitive because they understood they were competing with a majority who use undocumented labor.

If I can do this, why can't business?

Most consumers want the best price and don't care who is hired to do the work. Service providers want the highest profit and don't care who is doing the work. These are often the same folk who moan and groan about immigration, outsourcing and H1B visas.

Employment is the root cause of illegal immigration. Unless this is resolved, fences/ walls are just feel good motions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies