Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:41 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times

Advertisements

The other thing that should be done is to cancel any federal aid or grants for any cities or states with "sanctuary" policies that help criminal aliens break federal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:07 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,077,805 times
Default Gun used in SF shooting belongs to the Feds

Sounded like an inside job. A mask man shots a woman in the back. And some white guys (federal agents posing as witnesses?) pointed out a Mexican. Probably gave him $$$ to toss the gun for them.

Gun Used In Kathryn Steinle Murder Belonged To Feds

Gun Used In Kathryn Steinle Murder Belonged To Feds - Breaking911Breaking911

Old 07-08-2015, 05:33 AM

23,582 posts, read 17,262,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Sen. Mitch McConnell is going to introduce legislation that would be called Kate's law. Kate Steinle was the woman killed by a man that had been deported back to Mexico 5 times.

Kate's Law would mandate prison time for 5 years for those caught back in this country after being deported.
The Mitch McConnell website is taking signatures for the required petition.
Any law that includes the victim's name is a bad law.

Not to say such proposed legislation is not well intended the problem always is immature wording birthed prematurely simply to satisfy emotional turmoil.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:46 AM

11,148 posts, read 10,725,362 times
Most relevant line in the story:
Quote:
However, the San Francisco Chronicle reported sources told the paper the gun had been stolen during a car burglary in June.”
And yet, the anti gunners talk about non law enforcement gun owners not securing their weapons.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:11 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,953,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Most relevant line in the story:

And yet, the anti gunners talk about non law enforcement gun owners not securing their weapons.
Good point! Since it's against the law to steal someone else's property seems to me this would not give the anti-gun people a stand. Somehow, this will become more about the unsecure gun and less about an illegal immigrant deported 5 times and stealing the gun, not finding the gun.

Just listen to Hillary and her pledge for illegals, and people are actually looking for her to be President!

The QUEEN for anyone not American.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 AM

12,045 posts, read 6,585,626 times
As much as I get irritated with O'Reilly's personality, he is spot on here and explains the need to write our congressmen and women to support Kate's Law. Giuliani gives some important clarifications afterward.

The murder of Kate Steinle | On Air Videos | Fox News

Old 07-08-2015, 06:44 AM

89,083 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Certainly if they are violent criminals legal or illegal but putting a bunch of people in jail that might just be here for work isn't very practical especially considering how many of them there are. This has the smell of a knee jerk reaction and not very well thought out. If you want to address illegal immigrants you need to go to the root of the problem by eliminating the incentive of them wanting to come here in the first place.
Exactly. No jobs. No social welfare benefits. No birthright citizenship for the children of illegal alien parents (make an exception for children born in the U.S. to those authorized to be in the country, green card, etc., AND are legally pursuing naturalization).

And I'm not sure how many people realize this, but IL law (as is true in many states) is that public schools cannot require proof of U.S. citizenship to enroll students, nor can they require proof of residence if the child's parent(s) or guardian(s) are homeless. Illegals very frequently pay no state or federal income tax as they're paid in cash under the table, pay no property tax because they're homeless, and their children cost public school districts HUGE amounts of money in bilingual classes and other special services.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:08 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Anyone who illegally sneaks across the border or overstays a visa, has "ill intentions". After all, doing either one is not some noble, altruistic act by any means.

You also know that border jumpers and visa overstayers end up committing even more crimes in order to stay here. It's illegal for them to work but yet they do. Many of them, in order to work, commit ID theft or use a fake SSN---neither of which is a victimless crime. Or they get paid under the table, thus engaging in tax evasion. Some of them, in order to get to work, think nothing about driving without a license which has resulted in deadly accidents.

And you want to reward this behavior by letting them apply for citizenship?
I would't say they have ill intentions. Just wanting to work, even if it's illegal, isn't immoral in any measurable way. Remember, just because a crime doesn't mean it's a wrongful action. Many crimes are simply crimes because they disrupt the usual flow of society. Like speeding. You get a ticket instead of being sent to prison, but it's still a crime.

And anything can be argued victimless besides the obvious crimes. Speeding is selfish because it endangers others, encourages others to speed and thus become criminals, who according to pretty much everyone when they make grandiose statements about crimes, makes them the embodiment of evil.

But I'm not a statist....

And the ones who do commit ID theft, yes, that's a problem. The ones who commit SS fraud, yes, that's a problem, albeit less than the former as SS is something of a scam anyway. But that doesn't mean they have ill intentions. Ill intentions are defined as doing wrongful things for the wrong reasons. These are, at best, doing ethically questionably things for sensible reasons. As I said, unless a serious crime is committed, let's not over exaggerate what they've done.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:16 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,428,190 times
I swiped your identity so I could clean out your bank account to pay for my kid's medical bills. No ill intent, mind you. I'm not a bad person and you understand it was for a good reason. Maybe a little immoral at most. Write me a ticket and I'll be on my way...

Old 07-08-2015, 07:21 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,428,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Is it a deterrent or are we just be going to be filling more jails?

This may be a good law but only if it's augmenting some very drastic changes in how illegals are handled to begin with. Mandate e-verify nationwide and implement severe penalties for those hiring them. Problem solved.

E-verify doesn't address the issue of independent contractors, which is a large problem.

We need to end the anchor baby draw, and stop educating illegal immigrant children as well. A 10% wire tax on remittances might not hurt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies