Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 12:43 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
Unlike past immigrants that assimilated into American Culture. I would say that most of the current immigrants coming here only to exploit the country's benefits. Great example the Chattanooga gunman's father that didn't want his son Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez to participate in sports. Why because he didn't want his son to become Americanized. I know this doesnt apply to all immigrants but I would say a good majority. The danger of this in the end where do their loyalties lie.
The case for not assimilating would more properly be made in this case"(German Bund filling Madison Sq Garden during WWII)

Bing Images

Old 07-18-2015, 12:43 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
This is hogwash. Amerindians, Asians and Eurasians can fully assimilate if they choose too. Blacks and muslims and others largely cannot and do not want to, and are encouraged not to.

Japanese and Koreans share a closer kinship and heredity than they do to SE Asians. It's somewhat like English and German or Italian share more kinship than they do with middle easterners.
Blacks have assimilated all over the United States. What are you talking about?

Old 07-18-2015, 02:00 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Unlike past immigrants that assimilated into American Culture. I would say that most of the current immigrants coming here only to exploit the country's benefits. Great example the Chattanooga gunman's father that didn't want his son Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez to participate in sports. Why because he didn't want his son to become Americanized. I know this doesnt apply to all immigrants but I would say a good majority. The danger of this in the end where do their loyalties lie.
All they need to do is visit Miami. What you said actually exists in Miami. The older generation, who came here back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s have assimilated. It doesn't mean that they forget where they came from or trash all of their own traditions and values, it means that they embrace those as well as embrace America.

Then you have the ones who have moved there from the late 80s to now...look at Miami now. Go live there for a year and tell me you don't see it. The older Cubans will tell you, with no qualms, EXACTLY what you just posted.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:25 AM

943 posts, read 783,081 times
Quote:
Most immigrants in the US come from China, Mexico, or central America. These places are either largely secular(Chinese, Koreans mainly) or Christian(catholicism in the case of Latin Americans). Muslims make up only 0.6% of the US population. The US is not like Europe which brings in immigrants with dramatically different value systems than western ones (north Africans, middle easterners and Pakistani immigrants). This is an outlier case. Most immigrants in the US assimilate, or at least don't cause trouble and follow the laws.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:31 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Blacks have assimilated all over the United States. What are you talking about?
Okay if you say so . They can stop complaining and blaming now. If that's assimilation then every one is assimilated. They've been increasingly becoming unassimilated thanks to progressive lib policies.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
This is hogwash. Amerindians, Asians and Eurasians can fully assimilate if they choose too. Blacks and muslims and others largely cannot and do not want to, and are encouraged not to.

Japanese and Koreans share a closer kinship and heredity than they do to SE Asians. It's somewhat like English and German or Italian share more kinship than they do with middle easterners.
Black Americans are Americans. Hell, black Americans in most cases have roots in the US longer than most white Americans. Why would they need to assimilate? And assimilate into what?? White Americans are not the default Americans. The problem is that you equate assimilation into living by white American standards. White Americans are not indigenous to the US. Neither are they superior. What specifically do you mean by assimilate??

As long as you follow basic western values like secularism , respecting women in public life, follow the basic local/native customs, and speak English you are assimilated.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Okay if you say so . They can stop complaining and blaming now. If that's assimilation then every one is assimilated. They've been increasingly becoming unassimilated thanks to progressive lib policies.
Complaining about racism or any social issue doesn't mean you aren't assimilated. If black Americans are "un-assimilated" it is because of housing and employment discrimination. Black American culture, customs and identity is not an antithesis to US culture.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:47 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Black Americans are Americans. Hell, black Americans in most cases have roots in the US longer than most white Americans. Why would they need to assimilate? And assimilate into what?? White Americans are not the default Americans. The problem is that you equate assimilation into living by white American standards. White Americans are not indigenous to the US. Neither are they superior. What specifically do you mean by assimilate??
No one is indigenous to the Americas, but whites came and founded what's now the US first and were ~85% majority until the 1960s and onward. Then you should've stayed segregated if you want to be different from whites and the majority.

Quote:
As long as you follow basic western values like secularism , respecting women in public life, follow the basic local/native customs, and speak English you are assimilated.
You're not assimilated if you constantly disagree with and complain and blame the majority for everything that happens to you. You are an out group.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:49 AM

I don't understand this idea that immigrants don't speak English. I only see this with immigrants that came to the US when they were older. But those that came to the US when they were 30 or younger speak English-- even if poorly and with a heavy accent. When you are older and poorer it is difficult to learn a new language. Young people -- especially teenagers however can pick up a new language quickly.

I worked with a lot of Puerto Ricans in my hometown when I worked as a cashier, and they all spoke English. Occasionally they would speak Spanish among themselves, but they spoke English to the customers and the English speaking Americans.

And even if immigrants don't speak English, it is not like this is passed down to their US born children. Many of them speak their parents language poorly to be honest(think JLO). You see this with a lot of US born children of Puerto Rican and Dominican parents. This is a phony issue. I only see this issue in maybe parts of Miami and LA where the immigrants are residentially segregated and make up a large part of the city.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:50 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
It appears that you need to look up what assimilation means in the dictionary. Your statement is not coherent. I've never seen blacks complain about assimilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies