Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Was More at Fault???
Sandra 32 60.38%
Police 17 32.08%
I can't choose. They are exactly equally at fault. 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
LEO's across the board have a broad scope when it comes to detention and arrest powers.

You bet your ass go silently if you are EVER arrested don't say anything until you speak with an attorney.

Do you vote every chance you get?
Broad authority yes, but not absolute.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Do you have a link to his suspension? Last I heard he was put on desk duty - and that was via an official statement from the Dept. of Public Safety. Hahahahahahaha. Reality is not your strong suit, my friend.
He was put on administrative leave for violating Police Policy. How could you tell anyone about "reality" since you haven't been there.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
I would have to be pretty bored to watch an eight minute long video of some idiot who thinks she knows the law better than a police officer
A Moron who just broke out of an insane asylum would know the Law better than this Clown, who calls himself a Policeman.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackKnife View Post
Every traffic stop is a criminal investigation. She was a criminal. That is why she went to jail.
It is not! A traffic violation is NOT a criminal investigation.

An officer stopping a driver, say, for exceeding the posted speed limit, may initiate a computer check for outstanding warrants, investigate the driver’s sobriety and license status, establish that the vehicle is properly registered and has not been reported stolen, and issue a traffic citation or warning. This initial traffic stop phase may be extended into the criminal investigation phase only if either (1) the driver consents to the continuing intrusion or (2) the officer develops during the first phase independent articulable and reasonable suspicion or probable cause to detain the driver longer. State v. Ofori:

Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It REALLY looks like this poor lady committed suicide, RIP!

The cop did not really handle the stop that great, probably lose his job........but can you blame him for the lady's death????
Sure you can blame him. Its easy. He put her in jail for no reason at all, and had she not been in jail, she would be alive today. They may as well have killed her themselves.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It is not! A traffic violation is NOT a criminal investigation.

An officer stopping a driver, say, for exceeding the posted speed limit, may initiate a computer check for outstanding warrants, investigate the driver’s sobriety and license status, establish that the vehicle is properly registered and has not been reported stolen, and issue a traffic citation or warning. This initial traffic stop phase may be extended into the criminal investigation phase only if either (1) the driver consents to the continuing intrusion or (2) the officer develops during the first phase independent articulable and reasonable suspicion or probable cause to detain the driver longer. State v. Ofori:
Pfft lawyer talk.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 PM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
He was put on administrative leave for violating Police Policy. How could you tell anyone about "reality" since you haven't been there.
Oh, so he's not suspended like you said?

Before you post things you should probably check accuracy first - or the reality of the situation at least.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You don't litigate a traffic stop on the street. That gets you more charges. Which is always the way it's been.

To do otherwise is stupid. The woman escalated what would have been a minor ticket and fine to arrest and eventual (presumed at this point) suicide in a jail cell.
She wasn't even going to get a ticket, just a warning yet she was already acting as if she were getting a ticket. Personally, I've never had a cop give me a hard time. One time I was driving with dead tags on my car, I explained that I was a college student and had no clue that my tags were dead and he literally said:

"I have to give you a ticket today, but I'm not going to have your car towed or anything. I don't even want to give you the ticket but I have to. Just get that taken care of for me, and I won't even show up to court so till be thrown out. Do good with your studies."

And sent me on way from there, I went to court and he indeed didn't show up, the only thing I paid for that day was my parking spot. Now if I had an attitude, smoking in his face, continuing to play my music over him talking, or whatever else that can be seen as disregarding his authority then I would imagine he situation playing out differently in my case.

Another instance, I was going 90 MPH in a 55, I'm a black male driving a fairly nice car, and I'm in a suit. I see a car pulled off to the side but it seemed like an odd location for a State Trooper until I realized it was indeed a State Trooper. Of course he pulls me over and with the notorious reputation for Troopers giving tickets, I was prepared to receive one and I wasn't going to pop off at the mouth because I knew what I did was wrong, yet he let me off with a warning. I guess I'm lucky?

My point is this, I don't think this cop was seeking for this to escalate into anything more than a warning yet with her already having an attitude caused things to escalate yet he should've maintained his professionalism for the cost of his own life and for Ms. Bland's as well.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
She wasn't even going to get a ticket, just a warning yet she was already acting as if she were getting a ticket. Personally, I've never had a cop give me a hard time. One time I was driving with dead tags on my car, I explained that I was a college student and had no clue that my tags were dead and he literally said:

"I have to give you a ticket today, but I'm not going to have your car towed or anything. I don't even want to give you the ticket but I have to. Just get that taken care of for me, and I won't even show up to court so till be thrown out. Do good with your studies."

And sent me on way from there, I went to court and he indeed didn't show up, the only thing I paid for that day was my parking spot. Now if I had an attitude, smoking in his face, continuing to play my music over him talking, or whatever else that can be seen as disregarding his authority then I would imagine he situation playing out differently in my case.

Another instance, I was going 90 MPH in a 55, I'm a black male driving a fairly nice car, and I'm in a suit. I see a car pulled off to the side but it seemed like an odd location for a State Trooper until I realized it was indeed a State Trooper. Of course he pulls me over and with the notorious reputation for Troopers giving tickets, I was prepared to receive one and I wasn't going to pop off at the mouth because I knew what I did was wrong, yet he let me off with a warning. I guess I'm lucky?

My point is this, I don't think this cop was seeking for this to escalate into anything more than a warning yet with her already having an attitude caused things to escalate yet he should've maintained his professionalism for the cost of his own life and for Ms. Bland's as well.
I'm sorry this is hard to believe. Once maybe but twice? No way a black man can run into two non racist cops in Amerikkka.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:57 PM

906 posts, read 712,910 times
Meh, as a half black and white dude, my personal experience is that cops are usually kind and understanding to me. Perhaps Im lucky and the cops Ive run into have been good..

But in my experience, youre treated the way you treat. Cops are just people.

Ive been told to get out of cars by cops for bull**** too. You know, I once drove 10 ft without my lights on at night in a lit parking lot and got ticketted too. I paid the ticket, went to court, aired my grievances, and continued with my life.

Life is way too short to let some bull**** effect you. You want my $150 for bull****? Fine, cop, but it comes with when I am in need of some help, I call you and you show up at my doorstep.

Anyway, in civil society cops are necessary. Its better to just live and let live. Most cops dont really mean any harm. And if anything, just tell the cop you will be discussing the situation with a lawyer. They back down quick then.

I dont know how my fellow people of color get into these situations. Or maybe Im just lucky and Ive always managed to escape them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies