Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 12:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If people in the ghetto whatever their race wouldn't act ghetto then it would be just as good a place or better to live as anywhere else.

There are plenty of Mexican ghettos nearby in California liberals could disperse into Portland to make it more 'diverse'.
Um, we have people who are Mexican and Latin decent living throughout Portland, it isn't a big deal either...though it is obvious to me you have no clue how a ghetto is formed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 12:45 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Um, we have people who are Mexican and Latin decent living throughout Portland, it isn't a big deal either...though it is obvious to me you have no clue how a ghetto is formed....
I know exactly how a ghetto is formed. I explained it to you several times. When a critical mass of ghetto people (it doesn't take more than a handful) are in an area, they ruin the area with crime, chaos and unpleasantness, chase out the good people, attract more ghetto people after crashing property values and running out all the good vigilante people and 'snitches'.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:48 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times
Quote:
Actually in Portland we have decentralized low income housing so it can be found throughout the city....that is why we don't have a ghetto here. Maybe one day you guys will catch on to that clue....until then, keep fear mongering about the nonwhite people.
We did this in New Orleans, and long story short we still have really bad neighborhoods, and not only that but the violence is everywhere.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I know exactly how a ghetto is formed. I explained it to you several times. When a critical mass of ghetto people (it doesn't take more than a handful) are in an area, they ruin the area with crime, chaos and unpleasantness, chase out the good people, attract more ghetto people after crashing property values and running out all the good vigilante people and 'snitches'.
Yes, and I have informed you that you are incorrect....though I doubt you will ever care to learn....so what is "ghetto people?" Is that a race or a nationality? A neighborhood can go downhill when bigots fear monger about the black family that just moved in on their street, then move out of the neighborhood only after fear mongering to their other neighbors to cause a panic for what is happening to their neighborhood that causes more to follow. This causes property values to drop which makes it easier for slumlords to move into a neighborhood and start renting to tenants without a care what happens to the junk property they just bought. This causes a spread of neglect to a neighborhood, which leads to people like you blaming it on the people who currently live there rather than what caused it in the first place.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
We did this in New Orleans, and long story short we still have really bad neighborhoods, and not only that but the violence is everywhere.
Where was this done in New Orleans because from what I ever saw there it seemed like there were some good concentrations of ghettos and neglect from the city....and this was years before Katrina.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Where was this done in New Orleans because from what I ever saw there it seemed like there were some good concentrations of ghettos and neglect from the city....and this was years before Katrina.
Every public housing block was torn down after Katrina. Section 8 vouchers were given for properties designated as "low income". The participating properties can be found all over town, in just about every neighborhood in the city. Crime is extremely wide spread. There are shootings in broad daylight in very public areas happening fairly often.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Every public housing block was torn down after Katrina. Section 8 vouchers were given for properties designated as "low income". The participating properties can be found all over town, in just about every neighborhood in the city. Crime is extremely wide spread. There are shootings in broad daylight in very public areas happening fairly often.
Yeah, that has less to do with Section 8 vouchers and more to do with a crime problem and poverty issue that existed there long before Katrina. I can't really comment on what goes on in New Orleans because I haven't really been following their social structure there or what has and hasn't been done by the city and state. I am sure you have a better idea than I do, though the number of murders there have seemed to be fairly stable since the drop from the mid 90s, with only an uptick the year or so right after Katrina.

Seeing you are from there, you would be better at guessing why crime has been at a stable level there. Also, maybe those designated low income housing landlords need to be reevaluated if they are running slums.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that has less to do with Section 8 vouchers and more to do with a crime problem and poverty issue that existed there long before Katrina. I can't really comment on what goes on in New Orleans because I haven't really been following their social structure there or what has and hasn't been done by the city and state. I am sure you have a better idea than I do, though the number of murders there have seemed to be fairly stable since the drop from the mid 90s, with only an uptick the year or so right after Katrina.

Seeing you are from there, you would be better at guessing why crime has been at a stable level there. Also, maybe those designated low income housing landlords need to be reevaluated if they are running slums.
Nice twist, but it doesn't play out that way. Katrina made this city much more rich because it washed away a lot of the impoverished. The city lost over 50% of its total population. However, crime was really, REALLY bad for a few years after the storm because the storm destroyed so much of this city (schools, police stations, the jail, etc). Eventually things started to calm down a little bit once the tax base started to return.

The city has seen a precipitous drop in homicides since about 2012. The city is now much richer, sales tax receipts are higher than they were pre-Katrina, despite having 100,000 less people living here to this day. The housing market is ridiculously high right now, many homes selling for $1M+. However, the same racial divide in income still plagues the city. Recent estimates show that over 50% of the black male population in the city is unemployed. Whites have a median income of over 60K a year, while blacks are under 30K.

Unfortunately attrition in the police dept (from reforms and corruption) has been cited as the reason for a very persistent problem of crime in this city. What really opens eyes is that NOPD is the 17th largest staffed organization on a per capita basis in the nation yet it still has serious deficiencies. Sometimes you will call and not even get a cop, period.

In terms of violence, this city isn't stable by any stretch of the imagination. 4 or more people (NOPD is still unsure) decided to open fire on Canal Street midday yesterday, killing a 17 year old and injuring a 4 year old. 4 days ago, a child was shot in the foot while sitting on his porch after a drive by. 107 homicides have been recorded since Jan 1, we have a total population of roughly 385K. At this rate, we will be well over 50 homicides per 100k by years end. It'll be the highest homicide recording since probably 2011. Robberies are a daily thing, rapes happen all the time, carjackings, on and on. If you followed a local outlet you'd realize fast that this is one of the most dangerous cities in the US, and historically one of the most dangerous in the world.

What causes it? Thug life. Idiots who take more pride in street life than their own life. Kids who think it's cool to swing a gun around and act hard. Kids who are pressured to act hard. Killers who threaten witnesses if they talk. Moms who wont turn their murderous kids in. No, it's not about section 8 - but dismantling the projects pushed that crap out to all corners of the city.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:42 AM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
You seem to make a lot of assumptions about me that are completely incorrect because I don't believe in the same fear mongering towards nonwhite poor that you seem to have....does skin color really scare you that much?
You must have short term memory problems. I explained to you previously that I don't want to live near Section 8 tenants no matter what race, religion or ethnicity they are. I also explained my background to you. Did you not read that?

It's you who has an obsession with race. After all, you're constantly bringing it up and twisting other people's words---and that's despicable. You need to deal with your racism issues. I've found that people who keep bringing up race and trying to make everything about race, despite being told that they are wrong, are the ones with the problems.

By the way, pulling the race card means two things; 1) You have no valid argument and fall on the typical tactic of screaming "racism!" in hopes of silencing others. 2) It also shows that it is you who has an issue with race.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:08 AM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
You are correct. I've seen it happen in my neck of the woods.

In my case, it was done by Hispanics (many of who are here illegally). The area in question has older homes and had been a blue collar/white collar area. While mostly white, there were several black families---including several members of an extended family who traced their roots back to slaves in the area. These families were involved in the community. Along the way, they got some legal immigrants who proved to be good neighbors.

Meanwhile, not far from us there was farmland. Developers swooped it up and started building new houses at a fast pace. People in our community looking to trade up were lured by the newer houses, and eventually the new schools that were being built. This was the start of the community going on a downhill trajectory. Landlords bought up some houses and turned them into flophouses for Hispanics. I'm talking 20-30 per house. When a flophouse appeared on a street, the neighbors pleaded to local officials for help and had a deaf ear turned to them. Soon enough more and more flophouses popped up. Along with them came crime and gangs. I knew 2 women, each had a home and lived alone. The flophouse residents knew this. When they would leave the house, the catcalls started. They both began to get fearful. Eventually, they left. Many people (both black and white) who raised their families here and figured that they would age in place also saw the rise in crime and the drop in quality of life. So, they, too, moved. Meanwhile the schools deteriorated and people who once thought nothing about going out alone in the evening no longer did so.

Some people have hung in there---and I give them a lot of credit. I do know many who moved out did so with tears in their eyes.

So, people left --- not because they feared people due to their race or ethnicity, but rather because the newcomers were destroying the area. These same people would have left if it was lowlife whites destroying the place. It has nothing to do with race, religion or ethnicity---but rather the behavior of the people who are moving in. Yet, try as you might, some people refuse to believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies