Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 06:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well, then what's stopping you from moving into the local hood? You and your ilk love to move into such places because you think that all the residents are just misunderstood and that they will embrace you with open arms. Hey! You can get the whole gentrification process started by being a pioneer Go ahead---I dare you! Buy a house in the middle of the hood and let us know how it's working for you once you settle in.

BTW, no one is "forcing" anyone to live someplace. If hard-working law-abiding people find that a crappy neighborhood is the best that they can do, they get motivated to save up and move out. And before you come back with more BS and hurl insults---I know what I'm talking about as I worked hard to get out of such a neighborhood that was where my first place was after graduating college.

Don't you get that people who own homes don't want to see their property values brought down? You claim that you once owned a home but now prefer to throw away your money on rent. I'm sure that you wouldn't have liked it if your home had depreciated, would you? If you say it wouldn't have bothered you, then I would say that you are either lying or you are independently wealthy.
Portland doesn't really have hoods, we have places where there might be a higher chance for break ins or car break ins, but nothing like east coast hoods because we don't have any concentrations of low income housing.

Of course you don't want to force anyone to live someplace, you just want all the low income housing to be concentrated in areas away from where you live. God forbid a low income renter were to live near you because they would probably be a criminal.

Having rentals within your neighborhood isn't a bad thing. My place I owned also had rentals nearby, including some low income rentals. I had no problem selling my place when I moved because it was in a great location to what people wanted. I would love to not be renting and to be owning a house again, but that requires paying down some credit cards, improving the credit, and saving money for a down payment. I am in it for the long haul when it comes to buying and don't expect it to happen overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
It's completely true. The ghetto doesn't create these people, they create the ghetto. Happens over and over again and we've all seen it. Only those with ideological blinders deny it.
That happens through concentration, we see thar happen every time we concentrate the poor to specific areas. When we decentralize low income units, you make it harder for depressed areas to happen which is better for everyone. When will the right wingers wake up and realize this? My guess is never because fear mongering is a much easier sell.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
So...have you decided to buy a house in the hood? After all, you seem to be the type that thinks if you buy such a house that all the surrounding neighbors are just misunderstood and will embrace you with open arms I say, go for it! You will be a pioneer spearheading neighborhood gentrification
Portland doesn't really have hoods, though I wouldn't be opposed to buying in Foster-Powell, I have friends that live there now that like their home. I wish I had bought in North or Northeast Portland back when it was what might have been classified as Portland's version of the hood because those homes are worth 3-5 times what they use to be worth. Unfortunately that is probably out of our market. My wife likes Milwaukie so we might end up buying in that town, but at this point, who knows where we will end up buying when we do.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
So...Explain this --- if there are states that are doing background checks on Section 8 tenants, then why, without exception, there are stories from each and every state about Section 8 tenants who are deadbeats who trash the houses they rent? After all, one would think that if they are doing background checks, then such stories would be very, very rare.
Did that tenant trash previous apartments? My guess is the tenant was kicked out of the section 8 program and thus no longer able to use section 8 to help with renting due to trashing a previous apartment.

Bad things happen sometimes, why is it a market rate tenant can also trash an apartment? Some people are just a**holes.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:52 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

Of course you don't want to force anyone to live someplace, you just want all the low income housing to be concentrated in areas away from where you live. God forbid a low income renter were to live near you because they would probably be a criminal.
Guess what? There are some ADUs near where I live. A nearby townhouse community built a few "villa homes". They are essentially on the end of the rows and look like a normal townhouse but on closer inspection, it is one townhouse that was divided into 2 separate homes. Those homes were sold to low income people at a lower price. I don't mind such ADU programs because when people invest their own money, they are more invested in the neighborhood and take care of their properties.

That said, I would never rent a property to a Section 8 tenant. Nor would I want the house next door to me have Section 8 tenants in it either.

You may be independently wealthy and don't care if you have a next door neighbor who is trashing the place. However, those of us who care about our investments and our community don't want that in our neighborhoods.

And before you twist words and make ugly remarks about "fear of brown and black people" --- I don't "fear brown and black people" --- you can ask my blood relatives!

I don't care about what race, religion or ethnicity Section 8 tenants are, I don't want any living next to me.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Guess what? There are some ADUs near where I live. A nearby townhouse community built a few "villa homes". They are essentially on the end of the rows and look like a normal townhouse but on closer inspection, it is one townhouse that was divided into 2 separate homes. Those homes were sold to low income people at a lower price. I don't mind such ADU programs because when people invest their own money, they are more invested in the neighborhood and take care of their properties.

That said, I would never rent a property to a Section 8 tenant. Nor would I want the house next door to me have Section 8 tenants in it either.

You may be independently wealthy and don't care if you have a next door neighbor who is trashing the place. However, those of us who care about our investments and our community don't want that in our neighborhoods.

And before you twist words and make ugly remarks about "fear of brown and black people" --- I don't "fear brown and black people" --- you can ask my blood relatives!

I don't care about what race, religion or ethnicity Section 8 tenants are, I don't want any living next to me.
I am all for ways to create homes to sell for a lower cost for lower income people looking to buy. You seem to have a misconception of what Section 8 is because of the decades of fear mongering that has come from it.

Would you be concerned with an elderly person living next to you that turned out to be using a Section 8 voucher? Places that do the voucher, you probably have no idea you are living next to someone using that because they tend to not be criminals looking to destroy the neighborhood.

I do care who lives next to me, my neighbors are quite lovely people. Though I couldn't tell you what their income level is because it isn't a topic we discuss.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:06 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Quote:
Portland doesn't really have hoods, we have places where there might be a higher chance for break ins or car break ins, but nothing like east coast hoods because we don't have any concentrations of low income housing.
You mean Portland doesn't have leeching minorities.

Yet.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Would you be concerned with an elderly person living next to you that turned out to be using a Section 8 voucher? Places that do the voucher, you probably have no idea you are living next to someone using that because they tend to not be criminals looking to destroy the neighborhood.
I don't have a misconception of what Section 8 housing is---rather it is you who has a misconception. To you, all Section tenants are just wonderful people who wouldn't hurt a fly. If only that was true.

I wouldn't want an elderly Section 8 person living next door to me. First of all, an elderly person living alone and renting a house on my street, would most likely not be able to keep up the property. As a Section 8 tenant, s/he wouldn't even have the money to hire people to maintain the yard. Plus, I doubt that the government would cover any part of the rent on a house on my street where only one person would be living.

As for not knowing who is Section 8---in my neighborhood, word would get out. And you are naive if you don't think that Section 8 properties don't stick out like a sore thumb in some neighborhoods.

I had a friend who, for years lived next door to a house where the landlord was renting to Section 8 people. Believe me, that house was not well kept up and no doubt, the landlord figured that it wasn't worth putting much money into it. Over the years, there was a steady stream of tenants that were from every race, religion and ethnicity. I heard many stories as to how those tenants negatively affected the quality of life for my friend. She spoke to the landlord and he didn't care.

You live in Portland, a place with no hoods, by your own admission. So you are out of touch as to what goes on in other parts of the country. Thus it's easy for you to sit in your ivory tower and throw brickbats at others and make ugly remarks

Old 07-21-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You mean Portland doesn't have leeching minorities.

Yet.
Because this is all about fear mongering about nonwhite people, you guys are so predictable....

Old 07-21-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Because this is all about fear mongering about nonwhite people, you guys are so predictable....
^Pure BS---and you know it, too. I suspect that at this point, you're only in this thread to cause trouble. Let it go already. Time to move on.

And, prove that you don't fear non-white people. Move to a city that has a hood and buy a home there. Put your money where your mouth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies