Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Because the more progress there is, the more US troops get to come home.

If Iraq becomes stabilised the numbers of US troops can be reduced.

That should be a good thing I would think.

I agree, it'll be great when our troops finally return from that turd's nest, I just refuse to kneel before someone like he's a genius for making small gains in cleaning up a mess he never should have made.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Who is asking you to?

I do not give any credit to Bush for the success...he had very little to do with it.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I believe the Iraqi gov't has already stated there will be no permanent US military presence in Iraq.
14 permanent bases, built by U.S. funds...doesn't sound "permanent" to you?

I read it in my American Legion magazine...not exactly a anti-military source.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Great news we're back to where we were in 2003. Al Qaeda doesn't control Iraq. Let's go home.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:05 AM

994 posts, read 1,544,695 times
Yeah, and now the Islamic Fundamentalists run things.... you know, the folks who cover the women from head to toe, stone them, and persecute Christians.... the folks that Sadaam had under his thumb... those are the folks that run things now, thanks to Bush. Hell, under Sadaam, Al Qaeda was non existant.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Yeah, and now the Islamic Fundamentalists run things.... you know, the folks who cover the women from head to toe, stone them, and persecute Christians.... the folks that Sadaam had under his thumb... those are the folks that run things now, thanks to Bush. Hell, under Sadaam, Al Qaeda was non existant.
And all for $1 Trillion and 400 lives. What a bargain.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 AM

290 posts, read 524,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
The Al -Sadr army remains a huge concern as there is evidence they are arming themselves and biding their time for the U.S. withdrawal. Again this is public knowledge and has been openly discussed.
This is the very reason we should not openly discuss withdrawal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Yep. How to make a relatively secular Muslim nation with no terrorist links in the first place into one which harbours fundamentalists in one easy lesson. Success indeed.
Billions of dollars, hundreds of thousands of lives lost , an entire nation in ruins, infrastructure bombed back to the stone age, and we should be celebrating ? And Iran and Iraq miraculously now closer than they have ever been thanks to a huge blunder. How much safer for us all indeed.

For a war which has no basis in the first place ? Who on earth can actually believe this is good news. All this horror could have been avoided had common sense , truth and facts about Iraq prevailed. But no that would have just been way too easy to actually go after the real culprits .
No matter how many bad things have happened or how poorly you want to blow them out of proportion, good news is good news and the defeat of Al Qaeda at any level is good news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Al Qaeda never had control, anywhere. There is no Al Qaeda and there never was. That's not to say there aren't terrorists. There certainly were and are, but there has never been any evidence to support the idea of a terrorist group called Al Qaeda, which, according to this trustworthy administration, has sleeper cells right here in the US (fearmongering). These so-called terrorists are far less organized than this administration would have us believe.
Apparently they were organized enough to kill 3000 innocent Americans on 9-11.
Quote:
Probably go back to the Pakistan/Afghanistan border where they came from, I would guess...
We'll be waiting ...
Quote:
You mean like before we decided to sidetrack and invade Iraq, which caused the al qaeda to follow us over there? ...yes, I agree there will be more troops available then...again...

Seems like we are almost going in circles, does it not?
Funny how each time we go around the circle, the path is easier to walk on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
It is like going in circles. I couldn't tell you how many times they told us that troop reductions are on the way. They have an infux of new troops that merge with troops for extended tours which don't last (and it hurts retention)

The current 'surge' did reduce violence...back down to '04 levels, which ain't saying much
Retention is at record levels...It is recruitment that is suffering now. Where do you get your information?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree, it'll be great when our troops finally return from that turd's nest, I just refuse to kneel before someone like he's a genius for making small gains in cleaning up a mess he never should have made.
I am in the super minority here. I was in the minority when the war started and I didn't think we should go. I am in the minority now that I think we should finish the job.

History is past and like it or not we are there now. At this point, early withdrawal will motivate our enemies and terrorists all around the world. For that reason, no political leader has the guts to call for immediate unconditional withdrawal. If they did make that claim, they would be killed in any debate. However, many people are calling for exactly that and some politicians are pandering to those people while keeping the door open to the more pragmatic approach of finishing the job at some level. To me success would be getting to the point where we would leave if asked to (like in the Philippines) and are invited to stay (Like Germany) That type of success requires no less than decades of commitment.

If we attain that success, I will be man enough to admit I was wrong initially. In the mean time, our troops are in harms way and all negativity about the war is being used by our enemies for recruitment and motivation and in my mind is Anti-American at the least and possibly treason.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
thats great, we finally defeated the al queda we brough in by invading after 5 years, 600 billion dollars, and 4,000 dead us soldiers

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
That's great news! Thanks for posting it.
Rep point coming!

Last edited by laysayfair; 04-28-2008 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Good since everything is so stable lets come home!!!! Opps sorry can't say that we will be there for 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies