Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 PM

994 posts, read 1,544,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
While true the U.S. did not directly sell chemical weaponse to Iraq, we unfortunately turned a blind eye when they used chemicals against Iranians and Kurds back in the 1980s; we in fact influenced the U.N. not to actively condemn Iraq for such activity and downplayed their use to the global community, since we sided with Saddam and Iraq against Iran back in the day.
Didn't you read the post? Do you not consider the nerve gas we directly sold to Saddam, among others, to be a chemical?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Didn't you read the post? Do you not consider the nerve gas we directly sold to Saddam, among others, to be a chemical?
I was typing when you posted. Happens some times. As far as whether we directly supplied gas agents, I always like to review the sources. Looks like you pulled your excerpt from Common Dreams.Org? I try to take anything from left and right wing propaganda sites with a grain of salt.

I do believe what government officials have publicaly admitted or what official documents that have been released from that period state. That we had a "don't ask, don't tell" policy relative to chemical and other weapons with Iraq and even the Kurds during that period. Didn't bother us too much when they used it the stuff on Iranians when supplied by 3rd parties, but we did not want to get directly implicated in sending it to them because that would knock us a couple pegs off of our moral high horse.

If you could provide any more mainstream sources showing we directly selled chemical weapons I would be happy to review it.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Iraq first used chemical weapons in 1984 in its war with Iran.

As to the biological agents:

Quote:
1986. Baghdad University purchased an assortment of germs from the American Type Culture Collection, for “medical” research.
Quote:
The collection serves as a global lending library for scientists doing research to combat infectious diseases to improve global health. Overseas customers were required to obtain a Commerce Department export license for the most virulent strains. These licenses had always been a formality since these germs were intended for peaceful research only, and the courtesy was extended to all who asked for legitimate reasons. Moscow, too has a vast collection of infectious diseases.
Quote:
1988. Al-Hakam, a large biological agent production facility, goes into operation in Iraq. Botulinin toxin and Anthrax are its main are its main production. By 1991 the plant produces about 125,000 gallons of agents. After stating for years that the plant was used to produce animal feed, the Iraqis admitted in 1995 that the plant was a biological warfare production facility. The admission come only as a result of a high-level defection. The site is supervised by Dr. Taha’s staff at Muthanna State Establishment.
Quote:
In addition to producing biological warfare agents, they also conducted live-agent tests on animals. The Iraqis also later admitted they had prepared about 200 biological missiles and bombs. Still unaccounted for.
Hans Branscheidt a chemical expert says (in 2003), that Iraq purchased eight mobile chemical laboratories from the Federal Republic of Germany. He says that the construction of an Iraqi research center for missile technology "became almost exclusively the work of German companies." This report is confirmed by the head of Germany's intelligence service, August Hanning.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
The US was one of the BIGGEST arms merchants in the '80s, and it didn't matter WHO bought them, as long as the arms dealers could turn a profit.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The US was one of the BIGGEST arms merchants in the '80s, and it didn't matter WHO bought them, as long as the arms dealers could turn a profit.
Actually it did matter.

And Iraq wasn't much of a buyer of US arms.

Bought some helicopters and most of those were civilian models.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 AM

959 posts, read 2,361,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Yes of course they had them, and of course they were destroyed - reason enough, warmonger?
Then the US had plenty of reason to go into Iraq besides oil, as so many of your compatriots have argued against.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Because we all know how many of those weapons were used against invading troops....

Old 05-07-2008, 12:39 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because we all know how many of those weapons were used against invading troops....
My only point was on the premise for going in. At this point I haven't commented on anything else. This response is irrelevant to my comments at this point.

If some folks would analyze decisions one step at a time, all the way through, I think you'd find it a little harder to second guess absolutely every decision your government made/makes.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
He has,you on the other hand seem to be relying upon....

Your own ideological beliefs.
Thats right, my ideological beliefs that were born by being witness to the sights and smells of torn bodies, burnt flesh and the unique smell that blood and brain matter have when they are freshly stuck to your clothing or face.

I've seen the horror young man and it is from this that I now hold such beliefs, not from holding candlelight vigils on the courthouse steps. Iraq was clearly a war of choice, not a matter of defending our country, simple as that. Add up all the reasons given to the American people of why we needed to invade and occupy Iraq and they don't add up to a fresh steaming pile of cow chips.

//www.city-data.com/forum/1539534-post17.html

When you get back from your second tour, you let me know how if you find an ideology.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
My only point was on the premise for going in. At this point I haven't commented on anything else. This response is irrelevant to my comments at this point.

If some folks would analyze decisions one step at a time, all the way through, I think you'd find it a little harder to second guess absolutely every decision your government made/makes.
Yes, but apparently the PREMISE itself was wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies