Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Army Traitor Bowe Bergdahl Go To Prison
Yes One Year 6 5.08%
Yes Five Years 10 8.47%
Yes Ten or More years 66 55.93%
No Prison 10 8.47%
No Prison. He already spent his time in hell. 11 9.32%
No Prison He's a hero. 5 4.24%
other 9 7.63%
not sure 1 0.85%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 10:30 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Taking the other extreme I think all soldiers should always have the option of saying "F*** this. You guys fight your own damn wars." Eventually we might have all the kings, commissars, representatives, senators, presidents and rich investors fighting it out with stones and clubs on a football field some where. When the battle was over the spectators could then hang the winners.
You overlook an important point. The military is all volunteer. They signed up with the knowledge of what might be required of them. This fact is what makes deserting a criminal offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Knowing how political the military has gotten and how directed by politicians the upper members have become, I have my doubts that they entertained anything that counters their ordered decision.
Yep. I'm sure there was "not a smidgen of corruption" here either.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
But you appear to be all for giving him a pass on his actions. Equates to praise.
Why do you say that? Over and over, in this thread and others, I have said that I think that getting him back and then subjecting him to the military justice process is what should happen, and, as far as I can tell, *is* what is happening. My only concern is that he is being treated fairly. As long as that happens, I am fine with the results, whatever they may be.

I have no reason to care what that result is, anymore than I care what any arrestee in the newspaper gets, as long as he gets a fair trial. I am mystified why you and others keep insisting that I *must* take a side while the trial is proceeding.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
You overlook an important point. The military is all volunteer. They signed up with the knowledge of what might be required of them. This fact is what makes deserting a criminal offense.
That's a *very odd* statement. The British army and navy regularly impressed guys they literally kidnapped from taverns. These unwilling men were subjected to an extremely draconian punishment system, which did indeed consider them criminals if they tried to desert from their forced servitude. Impressment is one of the acts that caused Americans to rebel in the first place.

The charge of desertion is an ancient one, and was not invented because the army/navy that is deserted is all volunteer.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Why do you say that? Over and over, in this thread and others, I have said that I think that getting him back and then subjecting him to the military justice process is what should happen, and, as far as I can tell, *is* what is happening. My only concern is that he is being treated fairly. As long as that happens, I am fine with the results, whatever they may be.

I have no reason to care what that result is, anymore than I care what any arrestee in the newspaper gets, as long as he gets a fair trial. I am mystified why you and others keep insisting that I *must* take a side while the trial is proceeding.
I apologize for the assertion. You must however see that some of your comments bear a striking similarity to defending his actions without comment on whether or not he is found guilty.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's a *very odd* statement. The British army and navy regularly impressed guys they literally kidnapped from taverns. These unwilling men were subjected to an extremely draconian punishment system, which did indeed consider them criminals if they tried to desert from their forced servitude. Impressment is one of the acts that caused Americans to rebel in the first place.

The charge of desertion is an ancient one, and was not invented because the army/navy that is deserted is all volunteer.
Do you realize that "impressing" one into service is totally different than having one volunteer for a specific time period?

Very odd that you equate a process that has not occurred in more that 100 years. Can you see a difference?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Yep. I'm sure there was "not a smidgen of corruption" here either.
Seen the Obama talking points already?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Do you realize that "impressing" one into service is totally different than having one volunteer for a specific time period?

Very odd that you equate a process that has not occurred in more that 100 years. Can you see a difference?
You said that desertion is a criminal offense because today's military is all-volunteer.

I pointed out that desertion has always been a criminal offense, even when a military force was *not* all-volunteer. So whether a military person is legally liable to be charged for desertion does not depend on whether that person is a volunteer or not or whether the military force that is deserted is all-volunteer or not.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I apologize for the assertion. You must however see that some of your comments bear a striking similarity to defending his actions without comment on whether or not he is found guilty.
No, I don't see that at all.

I cannot see how defending due process is the same thing as defending any particular person's actions.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:13 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
And by the same token, you must see how many of your comments in this thread bear a striking similarity to guilty unless proven innocent. I think all jacqueg is doing is defending the system of due process, which you don't like because you have already decided, outside of the process, that he is guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies