Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 01:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Kids run the schools these days. Their word is always taken over an adult's word.

That's why I am 100% FOR cameras in the classroom now.
What you saw was but a snippet of what happened.

Oh and the student sitting next to this girl as she's being dragged out of her seat is comfortably slouching with his legs crossed and arms crossed just watching.

Doesn't look "scared to death" to me.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yes, it's not even close to the same thing. You know that a student was threatened as soon as they stood up, right?

The major difference, the two people outside of McDonald's fighting are both civilians. This involves a cop. A cop with a gun, taser and handcuffs.

So what are the students supposed to do?

People do this all the time. What do people do when they see a homeless person standing at an intersection? Avoid eye contact.

When someone feels threatened, are in uncomfortable situations and there's nowhere to go, what do they do? Keep their head down, avoid eye contact and keep quiet.

Were you expecting the students to kick their feet up, share a bowl of popcorn and watch the show?
I'm talking about even the lack of vocal responses. No gasping, no "OMG", they sat around business as usual, I find that odd.

This isn't some stranger at an intersection, this is a classmate and it's happening a few feet away from you.

No reaction at all? I think it's a sign of the times.

I really don't think in the 80s or 90s kids would have just sat there and not at least vocalized something, of course they weren't zombies staring down at a electronic device constantly like it is today.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:55 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I wonder why none of the students stood up and talked to the girl or encouraged her to give up her phone, or whatever it was she was being asked to do, before it came to the administrator being called and before the officer was called or as the officer was asking her to comply. I imagine they were not in fear for their life at this point.
They probably didn't have the foresight to know that an officer was going to sling her across the floor for not giving up her phone.

It's not their battle to fight.

Just a guess.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:56 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
It does appear that excessive force was used here.

That being said it could be argued that a very disturbing and challenging movement is manifesting itself here. A certain segment of society is being instructed, encouraged and always supported- hopefully with shaky, edited video- to always be in defiance to a person of authority's instructions and commands. Every encounter with a person of authority- a LEO especially- should be seen as an opportunity to push forward an agenda. That by pushing every situation to its extreme- blatently ignoring, refusing, physically fleeing or even fighting back, assaulting and severely limiting that authority person's ability to safely and effectively do his/her job, (and to always encourage a mob of taunting bystanders to video all of these planned conflicts), that hopefully a snippet of video will emerge that could be construed by talking heads to be "excessive".

And then here come the investigations, charges, lawsuits and settlements, some warranted, many others just as excessive as the purported violations of civil rights.

This could be considered beneficial by the weeding out for those infrequent, (and frankly I would argue rare for all the 1000s of encounters daily), where that person in authority actually did not follow policy and training, and especially where injury or death was the result, and those persons can be then dealt with properly. And, cynically, also beneficial to those survivors of criminals who hit the jackpot after a life of crime by their family member is cut short by actions of law enforcement that was later determined to be excessive, or at least questionable enough or controversial enough to settle out of court. But most importantly for those leaders of the agenda wishing to keep the movement at the forefront of public discussion to continue to benefit by the chaos they create.

Not so good for those communities which rely on law enforcement to keep them safe and having declared war on them, either implicitly by always in defiance in all encounters and threatening, or explicitly by actually harming them and killing them whenever the opportunity presents itself, and law enforcement have taken the hint and are now avoiding them.
Great post! I cant rep you enough!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:00 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
People keep wanting to make this a race issue, it's not, it's an excessive force issue.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:01 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
They probably didn't have the foresight to know that an officer was going to sling her across the floor for not giving up her phone.

It's not their battle to fight.

Just a guess.
Do they not know students aren't supposed to be on their phones during class. Do they not know students are suppose to comply with teachers and follow class room rules. I know my gkids and I had to sign many forms acknowledging our understanding of these things. Do they not know one is not suppose to disregard an officers instruction. Do they not know there is consequences to all these things. Why would they have to foresee an officer having to be called and excessive force used to help this girl. People are wondering why no student stood up to defend this girl, I guess its not their battle to fight until after the fact.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
I wonder why none of the students stood up and talked to the girl or encouraged her to give up her phone, or whatever it was she was being asked to do, before it came to the administrator being called and before the officer was called or as the officer was asking her to comply. I imagine they were not in fear for their life at this point.

Because a lot of these kids today don't know to interact with others in person.

I saw it recently at event I volunteered for, there were a lot of teens who were getting school credit for helping. At first I thought "OK they don't want to interact with the old folks"(LOL..you know anyone over 25).

Than I noticed they weren't even interacting amongst themselves. They were all texting. Sitting a few feet from each other entranced in their phones.

If you notice there was no reaction in regards to shock as to what was happening around them. They're too busy staring down hypnotized.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:05 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Two professions that I would have actively tried to discourage a child of mine from pursing are teaching and law enforcement. You have to make split section decisions, sometimes while you and other innocent parties are at risk, and everyone is an armchair quarterback who declares you guilty until proven innocent for just trying to do your job.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Do they not know students aren't supposed to be on their phones during class. Do they not know students are suppose to comply with teachers and follow class room rules. I know my gkids and I had to sign many forms acknowledging our understanding of these things. Do they not know one is not suppose to disregard an officers instruction. Do they not know there is consequences to all these things. Why would they have to foresee an officer having to be called and excessive force used to help this girl. People are wondering why no student stood up to defend this girl, I guess its not their battle to fight until after the fact.
Almost every student who has a cell phone has been on it at some point during class. many are lucky enough to not get caught. You're asking all these questions for these kids, are you serious right now? Do you really think any of them thought this would be the result?

All these questions for the girl. And now the students. But not for the cop.

Typical.

FTR, I really don't have a problem with the cop until the last few seconds with that absolutely unnecessary and excessive move at the end.

But yeah, typical.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I'm talking about even the lack of vocal responses. No gasping, no "OMG", they sat around business as usual, I find that odd.

This isn't some stranger at an intersection, this is a classmate and it's happening a few feet away from you.

No reaction at all? I think it's a sign of the times.

I really don't think in the 80s or 90s kids would have just sat there and not at least vocalized something, of course they weren't zombies staring down at a electronic device constantly like it is today.
I get what you're saying.

I think some were legitimately scared and some probably couldn't care less, even if the officer would've threw her out of the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies