Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Under the pre-ACA free market people regularly died for lack of care and health care was the leading cause of bankruptcy. Not passing Obamacare isn't your holy grail, either.
More 2009 "talking points" ?

They've all been debunked since 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:00 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Even that isn't feasible. Seniors get part A for "free" but they've been paying into it for over 30 years. The other parts are not free. Many seniors cannot find doctors that accept medicare because of the low payouts. They have to keep a balance. My MIL moved from one county to another and it took her 6-8 months to find a doctor in her new place to take her. Medicare for all is not your holy grail.
My husband and I are both on medicare, he has a Medicare Advantage plan, I have a Medicare Supplement. Neither of us have ever had trouble finding doctor's who will accept our coverage. Medicaid is a different story, people on medicaid are ending up in ER's because there aren't enough physicians willing to accept the low reimbursement level

Old 11-20-2015, 09:00 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Under the pre-ACA free market people regularly died for lack of care and health care was the leading cause of bankruptcy.
What makes you think people aren't still dying from lack of access to medical care they can't afford because of the Obamacare sky high deductibles, or that bankruptcies aren't continuing under Obamacare?

Dilemma over deductibles: Costs crippling middle class

Health Care Costs, Confusion Have Many Avoiding the Doctor

Cost Still a Barrier Between Americans and Medical Care - Gallup

Old 11-20-2015, 09:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
NOT all individual plans are off the exchange.

Some people have individual plans directly from the insurance carrier.
It's the same thing, dude.
Whether I contact Aetna myself or go through a broker, it's the same thing.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My husband and I are both on medicare, he has a Medicare Advantage plan, I have a Medicare Supplement. Neither of us have ever had trouble finding doctor's who will accept our coverage. Medicaid is a different story, people on medicaid are ending up in ER's because there aren't enough physicians willing to accept the low reimbursement level
My MIL is in south Florida. Lots and lots of retirees down there.
That might have had something to do with her moving and not able to find a local doctor right away.

I would imagine it's a tight market in areas with huge numbers of retirees.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you contact the insurance company directly, it's one thing.

If you go through a broker, it's a different thing.

And if you go through the exchange, it's a different thing.

Because insurance companies have plans that they do not offer on the exchange, but they do offer directly to consumers. And because insurance companies don't make all plans available to all brokers.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:21 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How would that be funded?

Annual U.S. Healthcare Spending Hits $3.8 Trillion

Total 2014 federal government spending (on EVERYTHING, including defense) was less than that at $3.5 trillion.

Fed Government Spending for 2014 - Charts Tables History
Our health care spending is high because of our dumb free market system, that's the whole point.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:21 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think people aren't still dying from lack of access to medical care they can't afford because of the Obamacare sky high deductibles, or that bankruptcies aren't continuing under Obamacare?
Well, I looked at each link and have yet to find anything about people dying from lack of access to medical care. I have friends in Nevada who owned a doggie day care and dog training center, they put everything they had in it. This was pre ACA, they didn't have much money for anything else but bought a health insurance plan that they thought would meet their needs. The man got very ill and was in the ICU for almost 3 months, their insurance plan had an annual cap of $50,000. The medical bills were over $500,000. They liquidated everything to pay the bill, sold their business and still had a $300,000 balance. They ended up filing bankruptcy and moving into their motorhome which they parked on his brother's property. Getting sick should never devastate lives like that. With the ACA their max out of pocket would be around $12 k something they could have managed to pay without losing everything they owned.

Maybe you miss the 'good old days' but my friends certainly don't

Last edited by 2sleepy; 11-20-2015 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 09:24 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not sure if you saw my edit, but make sure you check healthcare.gov this year, it has some (beta) tools to help you find the cheapest plan while accounting for in-network availability, so you can put in local doctors and your drug needs to sort by cost including your needs. You might save money with a silver or gold plan that covers your guy.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:36 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Our health care spending is high because of our dumb free market system, that's the whole point.
Putting everyone on Medicare won't fix it. We don't have the funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies