Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 09:42 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,842,578 times

Advertisements

No, you are so not wrong that United Health has even indicated that it is leaving the individual Obamacare Market Place after 2016 because of the failures of the system. So, you are not alone in coming to the conclusion that so many Americans reached before this disaster was unilaterally forced on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:48 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
I just checked for next year and my deductible would be $13K for wife and I in addition to $11k in premiums...so $24K out the door before they pay anything. Obamacare SUX!

Old 11-19-2015, 09:50 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Elections have consequences.

Seems like I heard that somewhere.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Conservatives kneecapped Obamacare and insisted that everyone should have "skin in the game" and anyone receiving cheap health care is freeloading, now they're whining that they can't afford health care. Wish I could say I'm surprised.
Not a single Republican in Congress voted for Obamacare.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,842,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
How can you compare taxes in France and USA, if paying medical insurance premiums + out of pocket expenses can easily snowball into an umanageable amount of debt. Medical costs are tax, sometimes that tax is 10× of your income. Show me a French tax like that.

OK, Obacare covered 6 million uninsured at the cost of 1 trillion or so, funded through debt and expensive, high deductible plans for the paying members. That is Amazing, Obama managed to run on the blade, keeping medical biz profits sky high and giving 6 millions a chance to use healthcare outside of ER. The stories about greatness of American healthcare are greatly exaggerated. Considering all that rigor and training, healthcare has unusually high % of dumbf#s with no common sense or basic concern, low income "patients" just dont live too long to partake in that greatness. Healthcare biz, mandated to provide ER, is really good at dispatching low income uninsured customers. Definitely, 6 millions of newly insured bettered their chances a little. I dont want to discount that, I want to discount Obama for pushing this monstrocity not addressing the root issue. Medical biz monopolies and plain racket.

Yeah, Insurance companies are doing SOOO well that United Health Care has intimated that it may be leaving the Individual Insurance (Obamacare) Exchanges due to the underperformance of the Exchange.

Bombshell: United Healthcare may exit individual insurance exchanges after 2016 « Hot Air

Old 11-19-2015, 09:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Ball View Post
Before I got my health insurance through my current job, I was on a very expensive Obama Care plan with a $10K family deductible. In other words, until we spent $10K on medical costs we had to pay for all expenses first out of pocket. There was a separate deductible for prescription drugs too.

For this we paid $650 for family coverage every month.

I did not want to pay the fee and break the law for not having coverage, which was all I could afford, but found that this type of insurance was basically worthless. Am I wrong?
This would probably be better asked in the Health Insurance sub-forum - that is if you really want an answer and not just a lot of "yes, it the worst thing since slavery" responses.

IMHO, a $10K deductible absolutely can have some value. A catastrophic event that sends you to the ER, a couple of days as an in-patient and you meet it without blinking.

But to each his or her own level of risk.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:57 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
It's like conservatives just woke up to the world of high deductibles and high premiums that many of us have been in for years. Welcome to the 21st century, folks.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,174,016 times
They pay their premium every month on Obamacare and get nothing paid for unless your medical bills are 6 k or more. You have to get hit by a truck for it to kick in.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:01 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,904 times
The monthly premium is way too high for that large of a deductible. This is the world that obozo created. Now if you were a muslim refugee, you would be set.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
The original intent of health insurance was to avoid financial ruin in the event of high medical bills. Having a plan with a high premium that makes saving money difficult and having a high deductible on top of that is not in line with the original intent of health insurance. Keep in mind too that the plans available to the self insured have narrow networks and it's often difficult to find providers who will even take the plan. All in all I don't think it's worth it. Especially if you are in good health. I would rather put that $650 in my savings account every month and save it for emergencies. At the end of the year you could have $7,800 in the bank. With that type of plan you are gambling if you buy it and you are gambling if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies