Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 02:08 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Couldn`t fine one?

I could have told you that.

As for that life expectancy, Americans drive more than Europeans leading to the untimely deaths of America`s very young.

That is why the French, and pretty much anyone else living in Europe, have a longer life expectancy.
I gave you 2 sources but I'm not going to spoon feed you information.

You believe traffic fatalities attribute to the difference in life expectancy but give no sources. Actually, only about 1.7% of deaths in the USA are attributable to traffic fatalities. Obesity is the reason for less longevity in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 02:11 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Blaming liberals for high deductibles misses the mark.
Not buying that one...I totally blame liberals. So do most American voters, just witness the massive switch to the GOP during Obama's time in office.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:06 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Not buying that one...I totally blame liberals. So do most American voters, just witness the massive switch to the GOP during Obama's time in office.
I really don't think people started voting Republican due to insurance deductibles. What evidence do you have that Republicans have ever tried to reign in healthcare costs at all?

Old 11-19-2015, 03:14 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We should do what Switzerland has done and mandate that 1) everyone carry insurance and 2) (this is the really good part) that all insurance companies be NON PROFIT.
Under the wonderful Affordable Healthcare Plan, everyone is already supposed to carry insurance.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I really don't think people started voting Republican due to insurance deductibles. What evidence do you have that Republicans have ever tried to reign in healthcare costs at all?
I don't think it does either. I also don't think the Obama care is the winner that Obama and Hillary want us all to believe. It did force people to buy a product that they can't afford to use. Remind me again, who was this law intended to help? Seems to me the winner and the only winner was the Insurance companies. Imagine if you make widgets and a law is passed that forces everyone to buy your widget. That is a great deal for the widget maker, the widget seller, nut so much for anyone else.
The ACA didn't make medical care affordable.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Under the wonderful Affordable Healthcare Plan, everyone is already supposed to carry insurance.
You missed the most important part of my post - and that is that Switzerland requires that ALL insurance companies be NON PROFIT.

This greatly reduces the cost of insurance.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:21 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
You missed the most important part of my post - and that is that Switzerland requires that ALL insurance companies be NON PROFIT.

Too mch government for me.

Also, BO's plan already mandates everyone have health insurance. How is that working out? Will the mandate that all companies be non--profit work as well?

Old 11-19-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Too mch government for me.

Also, BO's plan already mandates everyone have health insurance. How is that working out? Will the mandate that all companies be non--profit work as well?
I don't know.

It's the middle man (for profit insurance) that is largely responsible for running up the cost of health care.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
The cost of insurance has no bearing on the cost of medical care, but the high costs of medical care drive up the price of insurance.

Quote:
I don't know.

It's the middle man (for profit insurance) that is largely responsible for running up the cost of health care.
So, you're claiming that insurance companies forced a hospital to charge $55,000 for an appendectomy that really only costs $2,800?

The same hospital negotiated a settlement with the insurance company for $11,000....for a $2,800 appendectomy.

Lower the cost of medical care, and you lower the cost of health insurance.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The cost of insurance has no bearing on the cost of medical care, but the high costs of medical care drive up the price of insurance.
Insurance is the middle man. Every time you add the cost of a middle man (remember, most insurance companies are for profit), the cost to the consumer rises. That's basic economics. So insurance, medical costs, whatever label you want to slap on it - the costs go up to the consumer.

Also, when we don't see the bills, or can't decipher the bills, we often don't know what the medical costs "really" are. For instance, you can't tell me that the cost of a Tylenol is really $6. So why does it say "Tylenol - $6" on a nearly undecipherable medical bill? Insurance doesn't really pay that - and most people don't really pay it, but if you're one of the "lucky" ones who actually does pay one's own medical bills, then guess what - you pay that. Why? I think a lot of charges - to and from insurance companies, and from medical providers, are charged "because we can." To me it sort of feels like, "Send them this bill and see if they will pay it. We've got a 25 percent chance they will, so jack the price up to cover all the folks who won't pay!" The thing is - the pill should never cost $6 to begin with.

It's a big shell game and it really ticks me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies