Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 06:10 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/us...less.html?_r=0

Well, damn, the NYT is reporting high deductibles make Obamacare useless. Expect the DOJ to be sending subpoenas soon.
Obama "care"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 06:11 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/us...less.html?_r=0

Well, damn, the NYT is reporting high deductibles make Obamacare useless. Expect the DOJ to be sending subpoenas soon.
And the IRS to audit them......

Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 AM

285 posts, read 176,915 times
All would be solved with a legitimate universal healthcare system.

Two things stopping that from happening:

1. The people's fear of change
2. Corporations are more valued than the people

Old 11-19-2015, 06:20 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
All would be solved with a legitimate universal healthcare system.

Two things stopping that from happening:

1. The people's fear of change
Yes. The change that would be required would be the highest marginal federal income tax rates applied to the middle class, and a national VAT tax. That's how countries which have universal health care fund it. Read and learn:

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho..._Labels_.0.jpg

How Sweden and other Scandinavian and European countries fight inequality - regressive rather than progressive taxes

Pay close attention to the charts.

So you can see what this means in regards to federal income tax... Scandinavian countries apply their top marginal income tax rate to the middle class, while the U.S. top marginal tax rate only applies to the top 1%:

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/Progressivity%20of%20Scandanavian%20and%20US%20Inc ome%20Taxes.png

And you are correct... Americans are VERY resistant to actually paying for the government programs and services they want.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:22 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
Didn't Obama promise all Americans would have the same health care available that Congress has? He didn't deceive the people did he?!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:26 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
How can you compare taxes in France and USA, if paying medical insurance premiums + out of pocket expenses can easily snowball into an umanageable amount of debt. Medical costs are tax, sometimes that tax is 10× of your income. Show me a French tax like that.

OK, Obacare covered 6 million uninsured at the cost of 1 trillion or so, funded through debt and expensive, high deductible plans for the paying members. That is Amazing, Obama managed to run on the blade, keeping medical biz profits sky high and giving 6 millions a chance to use healthcare outside of ER. The stories about greatness of American healthcare are greatly exaggerated. Considering all that rigor and training, healthcare has unusually high % of dumbf#s with no common sense or basic concern, low income "patients" just dont live too long to partake in that greatness. Healthcare biz, mandated to provide ER, is really good at dispatching low income uninsured customers. Definitely, 6 millions of newly insured bettered their chances a little. I dont want to discount that, I want to discount Obama for pushing this monstrocity not addressing the root issue. Medical biz monopolies and plain racket.

Last edited by RememberMee; 11-19-2015 at 06:36 AM..

Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
I avoid going to the doctor, because it cost me too much now...

I try the home remedies and tough it out.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:01 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
How can you compare taxes in France and USA, if paying medical insurance premiums + out of pocket expenses can easily snowball into an umanageable amount of debt. Medical costs are tax, sometimes that tax is 10× of your income. Show me a French tax like that.
That's exactly the point. And European and Scandinavian countries and their citizens have learned that significantly higher taxes paid by ALL (not just the 53% or so, like here in the US) spreads the cost over many more people so that no one is impacted by unaffordable insurance premiums + OOP medical care expenses.

It's all about what Americans are willing to pay for. If Americans would agree to tax the middle class at the highest federal income tax rate plus pay a 20-25% VAT, Americans can have national health care, too, just like Scandinavia and Europe.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:33 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Conservatives kneecapped Obamacare and insisted that everyone should have "skin in the game" and anyone receiving cheap health care is freeloading, now they're whining that they can't afford health care. Wish I could say I'm surprised.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:37 AM

54 posts, read 51,318 times
Default Does a $10K Deductible Health Care Plan have any value?

Before I got my health insurance through my current job, I was on a very expensive Obama Care plan with a $10K family deductible. In other words, until we spent $10K on medical costs we had to pay for all expenses first out of pocket. There was a separate deductible for prescription drugs too.

For this we paid $650 for family coverage every month.

I did not want to pay the fee and break the law for not having coverage, which was all I could afford, but found that this type of insurance was basically worthless. Am I wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies