Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 04:21 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Let me try to help you understand using your own "logic".

Yes, words have meaning in all law documents. Many contracts include clauses that state something to the effect that:

"Party A shall / shall not blah blah blah...".

Such words in such legal documents create an obligation, either affirmative or negative, on Party A.

You with me?

OK.

Now, despite the fact that the clause stating "Party A shall / shall not blah blah blah..." exists in the text of the contract, Party A and Party B may in fact later decide that they wish to alter or completely delete said clause from their contract, and they may do so by way of an amendment.

See?

The Constitution is a contract between and among the several States and the Federal Government and may be amended by the two means provided at Article V of the Constitution.

Understand?

What clause to the 2nd amendment is there?
Is that the clause you wish was there?
The except clause...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 04:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The original intent was to allow semi-automatic weapons? I presume the founders could foresee over 100 years into the future to see that such a thing would exist and that we should protect the rights to have those?

The founders were damn glad they had the very weapons they were sure to go into battle against.
Pretty sure the entire reason there is a 2nd amendment protecting the entire constitution.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:35 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
BS, your lying thru your teeth.

Ive been going to the Big Reno Gun Show of the West for years as well as other gun shows since the early 80's.

None of that crap your trying to peddle about occurs.

What does happen are LEGAL person to person sales as is LEGAL in Nevada and use to be legal in Kommieforina without a back ground check until 1992.

Your barking up the wrong tree if you think you can school me as I've been active in the RKBA politcal and legal movement since 1978 when I got my first NRA membership.

If you can find illegal crap going on at gun shows then go film it and get back to us.

Since the time of the founding of our country private party sales of firearm has occurred LEGALLY with getting the OK from Big Brother.

I also doubt very seriously you own any guns.
Florida it is terrible,, they might as well as put drugs on the next table ---easy peasy-- shopping-- shut the shows down and make it a responsible purchase. Not saying all sales men and bad but there is a lot of blind spots-- a lot

Old 01-05-2016, 05:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
On this point you are correct, for the most part. Out of state sales are required to be shipped to a licensed FFL dealer and the buyer must fill out a form 4473 and get a background check. Whether it's a site like Gunbroker or a private gun site like AK-Whatever.com. In fact over the last 3 years, I've noticed that now FFls are requiring the seller to have an FFL dealer ship from his end to the FFl on the buyer's end. Doubling the fees. The sellers FFL gets a fee and the Buyer pays a fee to the Receiving FFL. Used to be I could package the gun up in my home and ship it to the FFL of the buyer for delivery. There was no special law passed requiring the seller to do this but FFLs decided to do this on their own.
Obama's new law will do nothing to halt gun crime and mass shootings. Only mandatory background checks of all gun sales will make a real dent in the rate of gun deaths. That means all private sales must go through an FFL dealer and a form 4473, with all mental health backgrounds being forwarded to the federal NICs system
Of course there are a lot of gun owners who are paranoid individuals to begin with and that paranoia extends to any form of gun control. IE: Background checks lead to national registration. Totally false but believable if you're ruled by paranoia. NRA's foundation is based on Paranoia. Yes I am a member. Yes I carry concealed, every day. A little Ruger with a laser.
Soon there will be a split between the responsible gun owners and the rest of the phony gun packing patriot crowd.
the only issue you have not dealt with is the black market for guns. you can have all the background checks you want, but they are only going to affect law abiding citizens, not the criminals. remember that criminals generally buy their guns on street corners, and their gun dealers are not making the fill out any forms, or anything like that. in fact a background check for them is as simple as, you got the cash? oyu passed your background check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Any part of the Constitution can be deleted or revised by the process of Constitutional Amendment. If the 2nd amendment were to be repealed, it would not be in effect and so "infringement" would not be an issue. We could throw out the entire Bill of Rights if a supermajority of people wanted to.

That said, the Founders made it quite difficult to amend the Constitution. That was done intentionally; the Constitution should not be revised frivolously or at the whim of public opinion. As has been pointed out, it is highly unlikely that the 2nd amendment will ever be repealed. Personally, I think it would be great if we could reword the 2nd amendment to clarify what this stuff about "a well-regulated militia" is referring to, but I don't expect any changes in my lifetime.
no part of the constitution can ever be deleted, only repealed or changed through the amendment process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Rights and amendments can be modified, added or deleted by the will of the people and politicians.
right, at will means you need 2/3rds of each house of congress, and 3/4ths of the states to pass an amendment to the constitution.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Florida it is terrible,, they might as well as put drugs on the next table ---easy peasy-- shopping-- shut the shows down and make it a responsible purchase. Not saying all sales men and bad but there is a lot of blind spots-- a lot
Prove it.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:00 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"and sell guns online" Another lie from O. On line sales REQUIRE going through a licensed dealer and a background check is required.
It would only affect a small number of sales, the only ones currently exempt from a background check are those where the private seller and buyer reside in the same state, so tell me how badly would if affect you right to buy a gun if you had to pick the gun up at a FFL dealer and have a background check done?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:10 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
But, but, but Obama CWIED. He had reawwel teaws. Won't that help?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:35 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no part of the constitution can ever be deleted, only repealed or changed through the amendment process.
Now that is one meaningless semantical argument. Let's try this, once a portion of the Constitution is amended that repeals, annuls, or rescinds, that portion, it is then, excised, expunged, deleted from subsequent printings of the Constitution.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Now that is one meaningless semantical argument. Let's try this, once a portion of the Constitution is amended that repeals, annuls, or rescinds, that portion, it is then, excised, expunged, deleted from subsequent printings of the Constitution.
no it isnt. for instance the 18th amendment was repealed by the 22nd amendment. also note that the way senators are sent to congress changed in 1913(?), yes if you read the constitution, the text of how senators were sent to congress is STILL in the writings. there is no part of the constitution that ever erased or deleted.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Your boy is in over his head. Admit it; your were duped.
Black, White, or Beige, Obama's a liar and history will be tough on him.
I doubt very seriously the President is a "boy", and the common Republican Jim Crow styled throwback utterances about a black person being in "over their head", simply does not pass the awareness test.

Maybe one should first read the Brady Bill , it is very evident and has been for quite some time, that legislation which expands on this bill, as well as make provisions regarding access, sales, and ownership policies and regulations be made more clear and further detailed to an American Public whom has segments, whom think think gun flipping, stockpiling, and every other gun activity should just go unchallenged.

One might think its odd that mostly "white men" are the dominant ones crying about guns and such, other ethnicities are not on the front lines whining about guns and pursuing to walk around with assault weapons and rushing out to buy 1000's or rounds of ammo. This is mostly a "white male thing". History has demonstrated that its always been 'white males" trying to deny rights to others, women and certainly to minorities and using gun violence and any other type of violence to pursue such aims. Therein is a great part of the problem and drama driving this opposition to sensible gun control and management legislation.

Even The Old West was smart enough to know that 'gun controls" were necessary.

It's not logical nor is it reasonable to do nothing, just because a Republican Congress sits on its hands and play defend the NRA and support the gun nuts. America should not tolerate this madness and thank goodness President Obama, will follow up and take actions.

There is a mass volume of information, and it is without a doubt, the President is smart enough to have his teams to review and report info on all of these topics. President is not a 'shoot from the hip man", he is very deliberate to gather the needed information, before he takes actions. That is a "Smart Presidential Manner" to have and uphold.

Assault weapon
Assault weapons legislation
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act
Concealed carry in the U.S.
Connecticut Children's Safety Act
Constitutional Carry
Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban
Federal Assault Weapons Ban
Federal Firearms Act of 1938
Federal Firearms License
Firearm case law
Firearm Owners Protection Act
Gun Control Act of 1968
Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA)
Gun laws in the U.S. by state
Gun law in the U.S.
Gun politics in the U.S.
High-capacity magazine ban
International treaties for arms control
National Instant Criminal
Background Check System (NICS)
National Firearms Act (NFA)
NY SAFE Act
Open carry in the U.S.
Straw purchase
Sullivan Act (New York)
Tiahrt Amendment
Violent Crime Control
and Law Enforcement Act

Last edited by Chance and Change; 01-06-2016 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies