Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be allowed
NO 109 64.50%
YES 60 35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 03:05 PM

854 posts, read 586,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
My point is that if PayPal is NOT willing to do business in North Carolina because of what it views as discrimination then why does it continue to do business in places like Saudi Arabia, which has discrimination that is FAR worse than North Carolina?

I'm not arguing in favor or against the law in NC... that's for NC to work out. What I am saying is that social justice crusades like this one are often hypocritical to their core. This is a textbook example.

Yes, it's hypocritical, but what it really is is patronization. What they likely believe (and what many progressives broadly believe) is that of course Saudi Arabia is messed-up. Those camel-riders are as backwards as they come! In America though, which is supposed to be a civilized country, they should really know better.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point. I think third-wave feminists are hypocrites for organizing a global Slutwalk but they've never marched on Capitol Hill and demanded a trade embargo with countries like Saudi Arabia until they repeal their bigoted, anti-woman laws. They don't do enough for women in countries where oppression is really bad. They're essentially focussed on navel-gazing and trivial first-world problems like being able to walk around topless near the beach (which they stopped doing about 5 minutes after the law was drafted granting them this right in 1996 here in Toronto).

None of that is inconsistent with what I'm saying, though, which is that redneck states either have to adapt, or perish.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
you're not making the point you think you're making. comparing the laws of other countries while states right here in the US are implementing new laws, which allow for unchecked discrimination just to give an UP YOURS to the LGBT community, is not a comparison at all. it's a hateful and hurtful law which has no place in a civilized society.

ETA: what are your thoughts on the bible being the official book of TN?

Right, exactly. That's exactly what I'm saying. Those people shouldn't be acting like that in a civilized country. It's the same way I feel about all the anti-choicers in America. Why don't they all just move to a country which extols their values, like Congo?

Old 04-06-2016, 03:11 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Seriously?

I have been using womens bathrooms my whole life, and never once have I seen someones body parts exposed. You would have to be actively trying to see something to do so, and that would get noticed. There are already laws against peeping.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you were not actively trying to see other people's girl parts. We're also talking about locker rooms and showers. Now it's possible that you've never seen anyone else's girl parts there either, but once again -- you probably weren't actively trying to.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
No, it;s not. I lived in the South (Alabama, Tennessee and NC) for 26 years and I can tell you you're simply wrong.

Really. So I was questioned by an Oklahoma City resident wondering why they would be doing business on "the Lord's day" after I promised her that "these was good, church-goin' men" because that's just normal clientele behaviour nation-wide?

You couldn't be more disingenuous if you were actually trying to sell me snake oil over the internet right now. Just save your BS for someone who cares.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
how is PP having offices in countries that have discrimination laws in place is IN ANY WAY relevant to the idiot pols in NC implementing discrimination laws, completely against the spirit of our constitution?
I kinda doubt that the founding fathers had "where are you legally allowed to take a leak" in mind in any part of the Constitution. Only applicable thing that comes to mind is right to privacy.

And obviously, if North Carolina deserves to be shamed for it's anti-LGBT ways, SURELY Saudi Arabia deserves it much much more. The fact that Paypal behaves one way inside the USA and another outside it is the very definition of hypocrisy. A nation that treats women like garbage, stones them for paltry offenses, won't let them vote, drive or go out in public -- that is far more despicable than a state that tells transgenders they can't pee in the girls room.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:20 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Really. So I was questioned by an Oklahoma City resident wondering why they would be doing business on "the Lord's day" after I promised her that "these was good, church-goin' men" because that's just normal clientele behaviour nation-wide?

You couldn't be more disingenuous if you were actually trying to sell me snake oil over the internet right now. Just save your BS for someone who cares.

So when you talk to blacks in the South do you use the same condescending tone.... using terms like 'yessum' and 'oh yessuh!"?

You really have no idea what you're talking about. I lived there. You had a phone call. LOL!

Epic Fail.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:25 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,557,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I kinda doubt that the founding fathers had "where are you legally allowed to take a leak" in mind in any part of the Constitution. Only applicable thing that comes to mind is right to privacy.

And obviously, if North Carolina deserves to be shamed for it's anti-LGBT ways, SURELY Saudi Arabia deserves it much much more. The fact that Paypal behaves one way inside the USA and another outside it is the very definition of hypocrisy. A nation that treats women like garbage, stones them for paltry offenses, won't let them vote, drive or go out in public -- that is far more despicable than a state that tells transgenders they can't pee in the girls room.
and here we go again. it's not just about the bathroom issue. why do you keep harping on that? this law removed the protection given to the LGBT citizens in NC allowing for any kind of discrimination. It's about we the people are all created equal. Well, except in NC and MS, apparently.

lets face it, it's eye catchy and provocative for the media to craft headlines which only address the bathroom part of it. the reality is, it's so much worse.

https://www.propublica.org/article/w...a-trojan-horse

"Tucked inside is language that strips North Carolina workers of the ability to sue under a state anti-discrimination law, a right that has been upheld in court since 1985. “If you were fired because of your race, fired because of your gender, fired because of your religion,” said Allan Freyer, head of the Workers’ Rights Project at the N.C. Justice Center in Raleigh, “… you no longer have a basic remedy.”

Old 04-06-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
and here we go again. it's not just about the bathroom issue. why do you keep harping on that? this law removed the protection given to the LGBT citizens in NC allowing for any kind of discrimination. It's about we the people are all created equal. Well, except in NC and MS, apparently.
And I already said that I don't care about that. That crap is easy fodder for federal courts. We all know it won't last longer than the first federal court appeal.

The issue that concerns me is the part where men can get a free pass to go into the girls restroom, locker room and showers. All the gotta do is claim that they self-identify as a woman and they're good to go.

But don't mistake me for supporting NC for being blatantly discriminatory. I don't. I'm just addressing the laws that -- in my opinion -- aren't going to be struck down by federal courts, but is going to result in victimization and a lot of bad things.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:38 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,853,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I love Paypal. Now I'll use it even more often.

There should be a list of all the companies boycotting NC so consumers can support them.
...and also boycott them

I think it would be great to have a list of all companies and their political preferences. Impractical I suppose...but still useful.

Given the way the country is heading, wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:39 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Yes, it's hypocritical, but what it really is is patronization. What they likely believe (and what many progressives broadly believe) is that of course Saudi Arabia is messed-up. Those camel-riders are as backwards as they come! In America though, which is supposed to be a civilized country, they should really know better.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point. I think third-wave feminists are hypocrites for organizing a global Slutwalk but they've never marched on Capitol Hill and demanded a trade embargo with countries like Saudi Arabia until they repeal their bigoted, anti-woman laws. They don't do enough for women in countries where oppression is really bad. They're essentially focussed on navel-gazing and trivial first-world problems like being able to walk around topless near the beach (which they stopped doing about 5 minutes after the law was drafted granting them this right in 1996 here in Toronto).

None of that is inconsistent with what I'm saying, though, which is that redneck states either have to adapt, or perish.
Then you and I agree on more than either of us suspected (redneck stereotypes aside).

I would however point out that the Governor of NC understands this bill as a privacy issue. The bill is actually called the Privacy and security Act. He addresses 18 key questions about the bill here:

‘Myths vs Facts’ about House Bill 2 released by NC Gov. Pat McCrory’s office | myfox8.com

Lastly, I would correct you and point out that poor Southerners are not 'rednecks' or trailer trash... they deserve all the respect that other hyphenated communities get. They are Trailo-Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies