Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be allowed
NO 109 64.50%
YES 60 35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:41 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
First of all, yes, only a redneck or possibly a ghetto rat who crawled out of a slum. I'm glad you recognize it.

Second of all, assuming you're a man (I can't be sure, you seem rather insecure and threatened, are you a man?), would you really be gravely uncomfortable with this former woman being in a locker room with you?

http://transvalid.org/wp-content/uploads/shawn1.png
Do you want this man or someone like him taking pictures and recordings of you or your daughter in the restroom?
Police: Man in skirt caught taking pics in women's restroom

Old 04-06-2016, 02:43 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times
Quote:
Don't care. If the residents of these redneck states would like industry to invest in their regions and continue to do so, they're going to need to shake their images and reputations as backwoods, inbred, trailer-dwelling members of the KKK.

The easiest way to accomplish that would be to first stop voting for backwoods, inbred, trailer-dwelling members of the KKK to represent them. Might help, just a little.

Since you live in Toronto I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in the South. I have.

Modern Southerners simply aren't anything like your characterization. Are there some country folk? Sure. There are in every state. But your characterization of their "reputations as backwoods, inbred, trailer-dwelling members of the KKK" is a misguided, uninformed cartoonish understanding cultivated by snotty, self righteous Progressives who've never actually met a Southerner.

I would also remind you that North Carolina, the state you disparage, is home to Research Triangle Park... the Silicon Valley of the East.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I don't live in Saudi Arabia. I live in South Carolina, and the full intent of this law is to try to undo antidiscrimination laws. I have sent letters to the governor and the N.C. legislature informing them that after 60 years of going up for shopping, vacations, and concerts, I have spent my last nickel in N.C. until this idiocy is repealed. They probably won't notice my hundred dollars a week or so that I used to spend there, but I am not the only one who is boycotting them. They will eventually get the message and get with the plan.

In other words the naked hypocrisy of Pay Pal is totally irrelevant to you, isn't it?

You pretend to care so much about discrimination... but in reality it's just a bunch of fake, self righteous outrage. You don't really care.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Do you want this man or someone like him taking pictures and recordings of you or your daughter in the restroom?
Police: Man in skirt caught taking pics in women's restroom
And there was a law that said that he couldn't be in that bathroom, he was charged under voyeurism charges. How would this ban have prevented him from doing this?

Old 04-06-2016, 02:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
In other words the naked hypocrisy of Pay Pal is totally irrelevant to you, isn't it?

You pretend to care so much about discrimination... but in reality it's just a bunch of fake, self righteous outrage. You don't really care.
how is PP having offices in countries that have discrimination laws in place is IN ANY WAY relevant to the idiot pols in NC implementing discrimination laws, completely against the spirit of our constitution?

Old 04-06-2016, 02:55 PM

854 posts, read 586,389 times
Quote:
Since you live in Toronto I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in the South. I have.

Modern Southerners simply aren't anything like your characterization. Are there some country folk? Sure. There are in every state. But your characterization of their "reputations as backwoods, inbred, trailer-dwelling members of the KKK" is a misguided, uninformed cartoonish understanding cultivated by snotty, self righteous Progressives who've never actually met a Southerner.

I would also remind you that North Carolina, the state you disparage, is home to Research Triangle Park... the Silicon Valley of the East.

In the last five years I worked directly for a call centre servicing Canada and the US where 50% of the calls came from just two states: Kansas, and Oklahoma. I can now do an Oklahoma accent so well that they could not tell they are speaking to a Canadian on the phone.

It's not cartoonishness, it's an accurate depiction of what these people are like.

North Carolina's economy is not doing well currently and those headquarters will move elsewhere if they don't evolve their politics. It's as simple as that.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
how is PP having offices in countries that have discrimination laws in place is IN ANY WAY relevant to the idiot pols in NC implementing discrimination laws, completely against the spirit of our constitution?

My point is that if PayPal is NOT willing to do business in North Carolina because of what it views as discrimination then why does it continue to do business in places like Saudi Arabia, which has discrimination that is FAR worse than North Carolina?

I'm not arguing in favor or against the law in NC... that's for NC to work out. What I am saying is that social justice crusades like this one are often hypocritical to their core. This is a textbook example.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
step one foot out of the Raleigh and Charlotte metro areas, you can cue the banjos.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
In the last five years I worked directly for a call centre servicing Canada and the US where 50% of the calls came from just two states: Kansas, and Oklahoma. I can now do an Oklahoma accent so well that they could not tell they are speaking to a Canadian on the phone.

It's not cartoonishness, it's an accurate depiction of what these people are like.

North Carolina's economy is not doing well currently and those headquarters will move elsewhere if they don't evolve their politics. It's as simple as that.
No, it;s not. I lived in the South (Alabama, Tennessee and NC) for 26 years and I can tell you you're simply wrong.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
My point is that if PayPal is NOT willing to do business in North Carolina because of what it views as discrimination then why does it continue to do business in places like Saudi Arabia, which has discrimination that is FAR worse than North Carolina?

I'm not arguing in favor or against the law in NC... that's for NC to work out. What I am saying is that social justice crusades like this one are often hypocritical to their core. This is a textbook example.
you're not making the point you think you're making. comparing the laws of other countries while states right here in the US are implementing new laws, which allow for unchecked discrimination just to give an UP YOURS to the LGBT community, is not a comparison at all. it's a hateful and hurtful law which has no place in a civilized society.

ETA: what are your thoughts on the bible being the official book of TN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies