Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 12:04 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times

Advertisements

Has anyone thought that, since suburban rents are often cheaper, the government is saving money by doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Has anyone thought that, since suburban rents are often cheaper, the government is saving money by doing this?
That's actually a huge part of it. Urban rents are getting outta control. I have relatives and friends paying a coupla grand in rent in SF, Chicago, NY, and LA. In DC, it's so bad that my brother turned down what would've been a great promotion to move there. But it's either that or spend 3 hours in your car everyday commuting.

And urban rent is only gonna keep going up.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:18 PM

324 posts, read 271,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
As I stated above in my post to you, your relative was not a voucher recipient. This is not meant to be an insult to you for me saying this as the various housing programs are confusing to people who don't know all of the programs and what they cover and their requirements on residents and landlords.

As I stated above in my ETA section of my previous comment, Section 8/HCV does NOT perform housekeeping inspections on properties so your relative would not have been kicked out based on poor housekeeping. They do housekeeping inspections as a part of the PH program (public housing aka "the projects").

The portion of your bolded comment above also is proof that your relative was not on Section 8. When there is a LIHTC community created (low income housing tax credit) they usually are created for seniors/disabled because they are a low risk for real estate investors. They do NOT let people who are not either elderly or disabled live in those units due to regulation. So either your relative had a disability or she just had a "low income" apartment which was subsidized like ones that many people live in. All subsidized apartments are not filled with Section 8/HCV residents. Also, many people who are public housing residents can be moved to those units if the development is partially owned by the housing authority and they do not need a voucher. If your relative lived in those units as a public housing resident, which would explain why she was kicked out for housekeeping .
Nope. Saw the voucher, she was soooooo proud.

That complex even helped you fill out the forms to get the voucher and helped you lie that you were in an emergency situation in order to get you qualified faster.... I applied for sh*ts and giggles in 1994 when I wanted out of my mother's clutches.... after getting tired of the constant physical abuse.

I had a feeling then that they were abusing the system (NYS) since I knew that wasn't the way it was supposed to work..... I moved in with my Aunt upstate instead. Basically they used the Section 8 to guarantee rent was being paid......

I hate to tell you you're wrong but not every place plays by the rules... they bent the heck out of them.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:32 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Obama's newest social project is to expand Section 8 out to the suburbs and exurbs with the idea being that doing so will improve the outcomes of the program participants. What is not clear to me is how this improvement will supposedly happen.
It won't improve outcomes, but it will make some people feel better.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:49 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Nope. Saw the voucher, she was soooooo proud.

That complex even helped you fill out the forms to get the voucher and helped you lie that you were in an emergency situation in order to get you qualified faster.... I applied for sh*ts and giggles in 1994 when I wanted out of my mother's clutches.... after getting tired of the constant physical abuse.

I had a feeling then that they were abusing the system (NYS) since I knew that wasn't the way it was supposed to work..... I moved in with my Aunt upstate instead. Basically they used the Section 8 to guarantee rent was being paid......

I hate to tell you you're wrong but not every place plays by the rules... they bent the heck out of them.
I know not everyone plays by the rules, but I also know it is very difficult to get a Section 8/HCV voucher and they don't just give them out to everyone who applies. Wait lists are usually 1-5 years long for a voucher. It is much quicker to get into public housing. Also, they do not actually get a paper voucher via Section 8/HCV...

I'm pretty sure you are speaking about a low income housing tax credit complex. Vouchers can only be applied for directly with the housing authority not a third party.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:52 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
When has a government program ever saved money?

Once these folks are settled in the suburbs which historically are car centric how will they be getting around? Shopping, work, etc. Will they be able to afford student fees in the schools, even things like buying a calculator which urban schools normally provide. And if the social problems normally associated with urban low income areas seem to manifest themselves in these suburban communities then who is really to blame???

Old 06-03-2016, 01:54 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
No one is keeping them together. It's a free country. All they have to do is study, work hard and stay out of trouble so they can succeed and move wherever they want. Letting the government play social games is not the answer. An unmotivated low life will remain an unmotivated low life whether they live on the South side of Chicago or on the elite North Shore.

It's called personal responsibility.
Exactly. The whole premise of Section 8 leaves no desire to better oneself.Why should they?

Old 06-03-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Of course they are saving money. Contrary to what many of you believe, the housing agencies are looking for various ways to both save and make money. They make more money marketing to market rate individuals, therefore they are building more market rate complexes so they can charge higher rents. They have a contractor manage the properties for them so residents don't even know they live in a complex owned by the housing authority.

Vouchers, as I stated above are drastically cheaper to initiate versus public housing no matter where the resident lives. The fact that so many poorer people feel that suburban living is better is good for the authorities because they have less to expend to landlords in suburban communities for payment. However, usually the suburban landlords are also happy about the expansion because they can charge more for their rentals with an HCV tenant due to the tenant and government paying a portion. Many times say if a home would go for $800 a month with a regular tenant, the landlord will get it certified HCV and they will charge the HCV resident $1200 a month in rent. The government will pay the $800 and the tenant will pay the $400. So the landlord is guaranteed to get what they would have gotten on the open market and they get a bonus from the tenant. There are lots of investors who only rent HCV units due to being able to do this sort of thing. As stated above, people play the system, it is just that many of you don't realize that people play it on all sides. We won't even get into the developers of the new apartment communities and how much they are making.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Exactly. The whole premise of Section 8 leaves no desire to better oneself.Why should they?
Again, a large percent of HCV residents are elderly, disabled or veterans. Those that are not actually do work and many of them go on to "better" themselves in various ways.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:23 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think the well intentioned folks who want to use their neighbors money to help out the poor, should open up their own homes to them.
Yes! Now that is a win win for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies