Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 11:32 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
try again my friend;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokeless_powder

if you read the list you will find a substance called potassium sulfate, aka a mixture of potassium and SULFUR.
There is no sulfur smell when you fire modern day weapons. Try again.

Next time, use a legit source, not stupidpedia:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/for...002/mccord.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 11:38 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Utterly ridiculous. Recoil from an AR bruised your arm? Better get to the hospital, because apparently you're made of paper mache.

I had never fired any firearm before I went to basic training. One of the most underwhelming experiences was the first time live firing an M16 on semi-automatic. Automatic fire wasn't much more impressive.

First time on the M60 machine gun range? That was more sobering. It was loud, it kicked, and felt like an instrument of destruction in your hands.
I remember the warnings given before firing the grenade launcher and then thinking that's it. Riding on top of a tank when a .50 caliber went off did physically hurt.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:44 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
It's good that Leftists don't own firearms and live in the ''diverse'' parts of cities or in neighborhoods next to the Hoods.

Think about it.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Technically it's a compound, not a mixture. Much like Sodium and Chlorine exist as a compound, one commonly known as salt. Its reaction and appearance, not to mention taste, is nothing like the core elements. I am unaware of any smokeless powders that have a noticeable sulfur smell when burned. Black powder, yes, it's quite obvious.
you are right, the correct term is compound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There is no sulfur smell when you fire modern day weapons. Try again.

Next time, use a legit source, not stupidpedia:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/for...002/mccord.htm
again while the amount of sulfur in modern propellants is tiny, some people are still very sensitive to the odor of burning sulfur. most people would not detect the odor though.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:00 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
What is it like to fire an AR-15? It’s horrifying, menacing and very very loud
This is true of any gun and frankly the AR-15 is a bit of a lightweight. Try firing a .300 hunting rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun. They're louder, kick harder and do vastly more damage to the target. Or try shooting a short barreled Smith and Wesson 500. A newbie will almost always get smack in the face. That gun is crazy loud and kicks like a mule.

Anybody shooting any reasonably large gun for the first time will be surprised at how loud and scary they are for the uninitiated. I recommend starting off with a .22 and only move on from that when you 100% comfortable. It should be noted that while you can hunt with it, the AR-15 is not considered a good hunting gun because it is underpowered. Thick hided animals like deer and elk are much more likely to survive being shot by it.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:07 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
I found it to be very easy to point and shoot and the reload was quick and easy. The 5.56 has such a minor kick that I was able to keep the gun on target relatively easily. No wonder its used by sociopaths to massacre people, it easily puts rounds down range and is very user friendly.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:18 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
This is true of any gun and frankly the AR-15 is a bit of a lightweight. Try firing a .300 hunting rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun. They're louder, kick harder and do vastly more damage to the target. Or try shooting a short barreled Smith and Wesson 500. A newbie will almost always get smack in the face. That gun is crazy loud and kicks like a mule.

Anybody shooting any reasonably large gun for the first time will be surprised at how loud and scary they are for the uninitiated. I recommend starting off with a .22 and only move on from that when you 100% comfortable. It should be noted that while you can hunt with it, the AR-15 is not considered a good hunting gun because it is underpowered. Thick hided animals like deer and elk are much more likely to survive being shot by it.
I'll never forget the first time I fired a 45-120. I knew to keep my eye far back from the peep sight, to what I thought was ridiculously far away, and still nearly got scope kiss (peep kiss?). It also put the round in the center of the X at 200 yards, which surprised me too, since I've never hit anything like that unmagnified before. It's rated out to 1000 yards and beyond, so it's probably not that impressive, but it definitely shows their capabilities.

Big bore precision rifles are amazing. I wouldn't expect someone who gets their firearms training from the news and action movies only to understand.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:24 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I found it to be very easy to point and shoot and the reload was quick and easy. The 5.56 has such a minor kick that I was able to keep the gun on target relatively easily. No wonder its used by sociopaths to massacre people, it easily puts rounds down range and is very user friendly.
Kinda true of any modern firearm. Every modern gun that's worth buying is easy to point, shoot and quickly reload. If you want a gun that is difficult to shoot and reload, you'd have to ban everything but muskets from 200+ years ago. Even guns that are slow to reload can be modified or streamlined to get it done super-fast.

In terms of lethality in close quarters, the clear weapon of choice is the shotgun. You're a lot less likely to survive a shotgun blast at short range than any rifle or handgun slug. Certain types of shotguns can be shot just as rapidly and reloaded even faster than the AR-15.

Here's an example of a rapid-reloading shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkyEbrqNGw

The surprising thing is that we haven't seen one of these nutjobs show up with this kind of rapid-reload shotgun or high powered hunting rifle. I'm guessing Sandy Hook may have popularized the AR-15 among the crazies. Years ago, it was the semi-auto AK-47 that was all the rage with folks going postal. If Omar Mateen knew guns better, he'd have walked into the club with something a lot more lethal.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:26 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
If this reporter thought the AR was loud, he would not want to be near a black powder gun.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:49 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Maybe he fired the AR-10 by mistake. After all, they all look alike.

Me, the WHOMP! of the -10 is better than sex!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies