Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 11:41 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Yep, Governor Moonbeam is a forward thinking Democrat, while the "business friendly" types like Scott Walker and Sam Brownback are imploding their economies while gutting their working class. But slashing the tax rate has made many select business leaders very wealthy while 99% of their state starves.

Yet poor whites still line up in droves to vote for their own self destruction.
Are you serious?

How California Is Making Life Easier for Undocumented Immigrants - The Atlantic

California isn't waiting for Congress to act on immigration reform. The state has passed about a dozen laws in the last two years that allow undocumented immigrants to get subsidized health insurance, student loans, financial aid, and professional licenses to practice law and medicine.

These efforts have earned California the reputation as the most immigrant-friendly state in the nation. And the most welcoming place of all is Santa Clara County in Silicon Valley. Not only does it score the highest in the state for integrating immigrants, but it also boasts the second-largest percentage of foreigners in the nation after Miami.
America's high-tech capital attracts a global mix of workers, from Indian computer programmers to Vietnamese entrepreneurs and Mexican day laborers. Immigrants make up 38 percent of the population in the San Jose metro area, which includes Santa Clara County and most of Silicon Valley, according to 2013 Census Bureau data. That's an even higher share of immigrants than Los Angeles and New York.

What does this do for American workers? Below the one job women can always rely on and seems to always be growing........along with drug addicted women. At least these women can set their wages.........as men have excess cash!

Sex worker trade booming in Silicon Valley

Sex Valley: Tech's booming prostitution trade - Jul. 11, 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 11:56 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
No one could pay me enough to live in California. Pretty scenery, sure, but the taxes, the insane cost of living, the uberlib politics. No thanks, never. I would way prefer TX, TN, FL, or the Carolinas.

I know, Mass is bad, too. But at least I can easily escape accross the border to NH when the time is right. No viable escape from the big cities in Kalifornia.

You live in MA, you probably have never even stepped foot in CA.

Can't escape the cities? I can drive about an hour and be out up in the moutains and you would think no oned live here. So much for not escaping the city. There are parts of CA where you drive and drive and see nothing but land and very few other cars. In other words you don't know what you're talking about.

CA is a very large state, MA is the size of a postage stamp, and quite frankly the people are in general pretty rude.

An uberlib politics? You're in MA!

Old 06-19-2016, 12:18 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I'm a middle to the right of the road individual. And I really don't understand why California is prospering. Especially with all the left's imposed taxes and regulations. I just don't get it. Though I must admit I have to give credit where credit is due.
Congratulations California!!!

California surpasses France as world's 6th-largest economy
We've had this conversation on here recently, so I'll just repeat what I said:

Yes, they are a very wealthy state, but the problem, and you failed to mention it, is that 27% of the population, about 9 million people, are struggling in the state. If you're going to tout the good stuff, you need to talk about the bad stuff. Nine million people in ONE state is a LOT of people NOT doing well. For them, CA doesn't feel prosperous at. all.

Link to this same conversation from June 1: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rs-lesson.html

Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No matter the cost of living in Texas, North Dakota, or Tennessee you still wake up every morning in Texas, North Dakota, or Tennessee.

That's why.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going over to Malibu today. 5-mile hike in the mountains then a beach sunset.
Heh. Last night, 8:30 or so, the moon was rising over San Pedro Harbor and I and a couple of shipmates were furling the inner jib on the bowsprit of this beaut:

And that's when the First Mate asked "Are you happy with your life choices?". Yeah. Yeah, we were.

I could have a much larger house in Tennessee. I don't care.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You make a good point here..........A State Transformed: Immigration and the New California | Center for Immigration Studies

Historically, California has not been a state with a disproportionately large unskilled population, like Appalachia or parts of the South. As a result of immigration, however, by 2008 California had the least-educated labor force in the nation in terms of the share its workers without a high school education. This change has important implications for the state.

In 1970, California had the 7th most educated work force of the 50 states in terms of the share of its workers who had completed high school. By 2008 it ranked 50th, making it the least educated state.

The large share of California adults who have very little education is likely to strain social services and make it challenging for the state to generate sufficient tax revenue to cover the demands for services made by its large unskilled population.

California is home to the high-tech and entertainment industries, has one of the nation’s largest tourism industries, and has the most productive agricultural land in the country. Historically it was not a state with a disproportionately large unskilled population, unlike Appalachia, parts of the American South, or the Rio Grande valley. Over the last four decades, however, immigration has significantly increased the size of the unskilled population in the state relative to the rest of the country. California now has one of the most skewed income distributions of any state and has relatively high rates of welfare use and lack of health insurance.

Is this why we had to pass health care without seeing what was in the documents?
I grew up in CA when I was a kid. It used to have the best schools, best water system, best weather...now?

The education is a joke, the water system has been destroyed by envirolunatics, and the weather? What a fricken joke. Look it up: In 1980, for example, the weather was 20 degrees cooler than it is now. That's not from "global warming", that's from idiots in this state ruining what was once good - the best.

'Man-made disaster': Critics say California drought caused by misguided environment policies | Fox News

The Man-Made California Drought - House Committee on Natural Resources

Fiorina blames environmentalists for California drought - POLITICO You don't have to like her, she's making a very good point.

And from one of the most liberal rags out there:

Ending California's man-made drought - SFGate

Old 06-19-2016, 01:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I grew up in CA when I was a kid. It used to have the best schools, best water system, best weather...now?

The education is a joke, the water system has been destroyed by envirolunatics, and the weather? What a fricken joke. Look it up: In 1980, for example, the weather was 20 degrees cooler than it is now. That's not from "global warming", that's from idiots in this state ruining what was once good - the best.

'Man-made disaster': Critics say California drought caused by misguided environment policies | Fox News

The Man-Made California Drought - House Committee on Natural Resources

Fiorina blames environmentalists for California drought - POLITICO You don't have to like her, she's making a very good point.

And from one of the most liberal rags out there:

Ending California's man-made drought - SFGate
This is of course all Republican propaganda. It is an interesting issue. But first off it effects only part of the Central Valley. The drought of course was caused by the problems that occur in a year when you get zero snow pack. That of course is very much a natural drought.

It has virtually nothing to do with the problems in Southern CA which were driven by lack of local rainfall.

The article in the SFGate was of course written by three Republican Congressman propagandizing for votes in the then upcoming election.

The balance between environmental and economic interest is a difficult one. But one does not simply throw the environment overboard. While it may well be short term popular int may also be al long term disaster.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I'm a middle to the right of the road individual. And I really don't understand why California is prospering. Especially with all the left's imposed taxes and regulations. I just don't get it. Though I must admit I have to give credit where credit is due.
Congratulations California!!!

California surpasses France as world's 6th-largest economy
It used to be #1, and south africa #2 depending on how things are broken down.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
This is of course all Republican propaganda. It is an interesting issue. But first off it effects only part of the Central Valley. The drought of course was caused by the problems that occur in a year when you get zero snow pack. That of course is very much a natural drought.

It has virtually nothing to do with the problems in Southern CA which were driven by lack of local rainfall.

The article in the SFGate was of course written by three Republican Congressman propagandizing for votes in the then upcoming election.

The balance between environmental and economic interest is a difficult one. But one does not simply throw the environment overboard. While it may well be short term popular int may also be al long term disaster.
You have reading comprehension issues I see. The most liberal putrid rag out there calls it "man made". If they didn't believe it, they wouldn't print it...it's the SFGate so don't even try to sell that crap about "it was written by 3 Conservatives". The SFGate is so damn liberal, they won't include things if they don't want to...stop pretending.

I'm not just talking about Southern CA...geeezus, it's not all about Southern CA, ffs. There's many other parts to the state...specifically ones that are trying to provide you food.

I was going to offer you the steps on why a lack of rainfall happens, but you know what, it's 4th grade science. VERY basic. If you need to go purchase a 4th grade science book on weather, please do so. In the meantime, you're going to have to do better than say "It's propaganda". That doesn't refute a single thing that was written by people who know more than you about this issue.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:44 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
You are making some good points, Redshadowz. I agree that "material well being" is not what actually matters, as I consider myself a pretty spiritual person.

However I do think that I am onto something. Let us focus on one of the metrics I pointed out and that is life expectancy. I think everybody can agree that a longer life expectancy is a good thing. So here is a state by state list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ife_expectancy

Let's only look at life expectancy of white folks, as you correctly pointed out that there are vast differences between races.

States with white life expectancy of over 80 years are: Minnesota, Connecticut, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Hawaii, New Jersey, Colorado, Wisconson, DC, Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota. Out of those 13 states, 3 are "conservative" and 10 are "liberal".

States with white life expectancy of under 78 years are: Mississippi, Louisiana, West Virginia, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Indiana and Nevada. That is also 13 states. 12 of those are "conservative" and 1 is "liberal".

That very strongly suggests a corellation between the pravailing sociolo-economic system of beliefs and life expectancy. I am not saying with certainty that there is any cause and effect here but only sharing the official numbers. The conclusion is up to you.
Well, I disagree with basically your entire premise, because you are looking for correlation without trying to understand causation. Or you are making up causation to fit your narrative.

Basically, why do people die anyway? Or more-specifically, what leads some states to have a lower or higher life-expectancy rate?

For a quick reference, think of the Amish, how long is their life-expectancy? If we were to go off your premise, the Amish should have a lower life-expectancy than the worst countries in Africa. But they don't. And prior to modern medicine, the Amish actually had a much longer life-expectancy than the general population.

The disparities in life-expectancy are not the result of socio-economic conditions, the differences are mainly the byproduct of lifestyles, culture, and crime rates.

For instance, the reason America's life-expectancy rate is lower than in Europe, is for primarily two reasons. We have a higher murder rate, and far more automobile-related deaths per-capita.

But why do we have a higher murder rate? And how does the difference in murder rates by state, affect the life-expectancy rate(IE almost all of the highest life-expectancy states, also have the lowest murder rates)?

Secondly, why does America have so many automobile-related deaths, compared to say, Japan, or Sweden?

ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY

Well that is simple, because we drive more cars, and drive them more miles. It is far safer to take a train or a bus(or to walk), but does that mean we would be happier if we didn't drive cars?

The logic of your argument, is that we should all strive to live as long as possible. But, is that all that matters in life? Should I never do anything which might possibly shorten my life? Would that make me happier? And make my life worth living?

Keep in mind, all the statistics you are quoting, are produced by governments, for the benefit of governments. To the government, you are merely a resource, a kind of livestock. Obviously a farmer wants to keep his sheep alive and healthy.

It is dangerous in the wild, but are you better-off locked in a pen?

Be careful about reading too much into statistics without understanding what they mean.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:52 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

For instance, the reason America's life-expectancy rate is lower than in Europe, is for primarily two reasons. We have a higher murder rate, and far more automobile-related deaths per-capita.
Proof that tens of millions of people with no or terrible health care coverage doesnt affect life expectancy in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies