Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 02:55 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Enjoy the drive and the hateful looks of the rich people that don't want you there.
Exactly! The "hippie days" are over. Only the rich live on the beach anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 03:00 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As someone who relocated to Tn. I have to agree.
Low cost of living does not a utopia make.
I don't miss the congestion, the bumper-to-bumper traffic and long hours on the freeway inching along at a snails pace, or living where my neighbor can hear what's going on in my bathroom (seriously, we used to hear our neighbor yell, "Jeff! You left the toilet seat up! I almost fell in!" True story).

We live in the country now on almost 11 acres. We have a big garden and lots of space. The house isn't much, but I would never go back to San Diego. Yes, we have to put up with winter. But when spring comes, it's a worth it!

Old 06-19-2016, 03:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Think for yourself, what is killing people? The two major causes of death in the United States, are cancer and heart disease. But if you look at the cancer survival rates in America, for almost every type of cancer, they are much higher than in Europe.

The argument made by leftists, is that hundreds of thousands of people die every year because we don't have adequate early-cancer screening. But then why are American cancer survival rates higher than countries with socialized medicine?

As for heart disease, that is mainly because Americans are a bunch of fatties who eat bad food. If we ate more like the Japanese, our obesity rate would be more like theirs, and our life-expectancy would be higher.

Forbes Welcome

Most of the people who don't have healthcare, are people who don't find it important. The reason they had to create a "healthcare mandate", was because the vast-majority of the people who were uninsured, wouldn't voluntarily buy health-insurance, even if it was cheap.

And a significant portion of the uninsured, are young people, especially young men. Which is why Obama and company had to lobby so hard to get the young to sign up for Obamacare.

The truth is, if you're a man, in 95% of cases, you could go from age 15 to 50, requiring nothing more than antibiotics. And a scrip of generic antibiotics at Walmart is like $8. The problem is, people often spend hundreds going to the emergency room to get the prescription.

For young women, the main issue seems to be urinary-tract infections, and pregnancy. Part of the urinary-tract infection problem, is because they don't drink any water. Every time my sister gets one, the doctor yells at her about drinking water, and she never learns, she likes the soda too much.

As for pregnancy, there is medicaid. Though I do think that far too much money is spent on pregnancy than is necessary, but everyone freaks out when it comes to kids.
That survival rates are really not a good indicator. Here is a good look at the reality.

How do we rate the quality of the US health care system

In general the US uninsured do worse than any where else.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:11 PM

828 posts, read 693,596 times
Tech and oil.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So does your analogy explain Texas' recent prosperity too?

Texas doesn't have an income tax... We have done it just the opposite of California's experiment. Free Markets, made off VAT, when someone uses it when they need it.
The wealthy can afford it an the poor cannot afford to move, so they become the slaves of the state, the 2 class society.
The middle class and small business bails, to Texas.
But nice try.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I thinks it's because Califonia gets lucky with very sucsesfull people, and companies. Apple, Tesla, Cheveron ETC.
Major Tax breaks keep them there and the shareholders happy, that small business wanting to compete, do not get.... A wink and a nod, keeps the competition away, via, government approved Monopolies and cartels, that fix prices.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:27 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I'm a middle to the right of the road individual. And I really don't understand why California is prospering. Especially with all the left's imposed taxes and regulations. I just don't get it. Though I must admit I have to give credit where credit is due.

$2,460,000 million in 2015 for California,or $2,448,467 from other source. Either is higher than France

IMF DATA for countries in 2015
#3 Japan $4,123,258
#4 Germany $3,357,614
#5 United Kingdom $2,849,345
#6 France $2,421,560
#7 India $2,090,706

California $2,448,467
Texas $1,639,375
New York $1,455,568
Florida $893,189

Population estimate, July 1, 2015
California 39,144,818
Texas 27,469,114
Florida 20,271,272
New York 19,795,791

But if you combine the numbers and get Gross State Product per person it is telling. California is still well below New York, and while it is ahead of Texas, the Economic growth in Texas is considerably higher than California

$73,529 New York
$62,549 California
$59,681 Texas
$44,062 Florida

Bottom line is that California simply has a lot of people. It is far too many to be in one state.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Texas doesn't have an income tax... We have done it just the opposite of California's experiment. Free Markets, made off VAT, when someone uses it when they need it.
The wealthy can afford it an the poor cannot afford to move, so they become the slaves of the state, the 2 class society.
The middle class and small business bails, to Texas.
But nice try.
In the real measure...total taxes paid by the average resident CA is #45. But TX is #20. So less than but not by a large margin. Perhaps 15% less. Hardly enough to shake the world. NY for instance is 15% more than CA.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
In the real measure...total taxes paid by the average resident CA is #45. But TX is #20. So less than but not by a large margin. Perhaps 15% less. Hardly enough to shake the world. NY for instance is 15% more than CA.

Don't forget incentives, and economic freedom factors, determining the final outcome and numbers place in the books.

Many reasons, both California and NY lost US house representation in congress, to Texas.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:40 PM

244 posts, read 181,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, I disagree with basically your entire premise, because you are looking for correlation without trying to understand causation. Or you are making up causation to fit your narrative.
The disparities in life-expectancy are not the result of socio-economic conditions, the differences are mainly the byproduct of lifestyles, culture, and crime rates.

For instance, the reason America's life-expectancy rate is lower than in Europe, is for primarily two reasons. We have a higher murder rate, and far more automobile-related deaths per-capita.
Redshadowz,

Let's try to keep the discussion to these United States of America. Also, let's focus on those stats that seem to suggest that (white) people in Conservative states seem to live considerably less than (white) people in Liberal states.

So you are suggesting that murder rate and car accident rate may be to blame. A little research does suggest that the 13 lowest life expectancy states, all Conservative except for one, have higher rates of both. It may be an intriguing question why people there murder or get into crashes more, but let us stay focused. Here we can find the leading causes of death in the United States:

FastStats - Leading Causes of Death

Accidents (all, not just car) are at 140,000/year. Compare that to heart disease, cancer (at 600,000 / year each) and respiratory disease 150,000).. Now of those 140,000 deaths from accidents, about 32,000 are vehicular accidents and about 16,000 are homicides (
FastStats - Homicide and Fatality Facts). So the two causes of death you listed combined are responsible for 48,000 deaths compared to 1,350,000 from the top 3 natural causes on the list.

Clearly, murder and car accidents do not explain the discrepancy between "red and "blue" states (or the US and other developed countries if we want to go there). In plain English, people are just considerably sicker in the more Conservative places. That is why they die younger.

Once again, I am only pointing at publicly known facts. Cause and effect is hard to establish so I am not trying to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies