Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:35 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You did make that up. Vacation is actually freedom to do lots of fun stuff. Forcing companies to pay for it is anything but freedom.

You sound like a typical elitist. I bet you are affluent. My guess your entire life was funded by the taxpayer. You see no problem imposing your will on business owners because most people like you never worry about profit margins.
I guess I've only worked for large companies because they pay for vacation, personal days and sick leave. Heck, I worked for a dry cleaners when I was just out of school and got paid vacation. The owner said it made his employees happy and more productive. And he only had 2 stores. I loved him for that because it made me come in early and stay late if I had to. Happy employees enjoy coming to work everyday and give their all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:46 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I guess I've only worked for large companies because they pay for vacation, personal days and sick leave. Heck, I worked for a dry cleaners when I was just out of school and got paid vacation. The owner said it made his employees happy and more productive. And he only had 2 stores. I loved him for that because it made me come in early and stay late if I had to. Happy employees enjoy coming to work everyday and give their all.
Exactly, but the freedom loving right wingers prefer employee oppression in the name of maximal profits. And this is rather sad because most of these posters are employed and getting no vacation.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:53 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Exactly, but the freedom loving right wingers prefer employee oppression in the name of maximal profits. And this is rather sad because most of these posters are employed and getting no vacation.
I'm employed and get a pretty generous vacation package. I'm still waiting for you to explain how my response about traveling in the US only is a "right winger" position.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:02 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:

You've seen the stats. Nearly 90% of full time employees receive vacation and holiday already. Keep hating.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:04 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
My employees had a generous package including vacation, holiday, disability, tuition assistance, and a nice 401K match. I did that all on my own without Big Gov forcing me.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:02 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
You've seen the stats. Nearly 90% of full time employees receive vacation and holiday already. Keep hating.
No, 74% of all non-farm workers get a few vacation days on paper. But the stats also say that more than 50% didnt take any vacation days. People live in fear. People might get a tiny few number of days (compared to the standard in other developed countries), but most people dont take those days, as people can get fired, not be promoted, seen as not committed etc. It is a race to the bottom as employers have a MUCH stronger hand than employees. A large disparity in balance of power leads to anti-worker results, like Americans having a paltry number of vacation days compared to other developed countries (same with parental leave, medical leave, sick leave etc).

Old 06-23-2016, 02:07 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
My employees had a generous package including vacation, holiday, disability, tuition assistance, and a nice 401K match. I did that all on my own without Big Gov forcing me.
No, the evil "big govt" (our elected representatives) already forces employers to provide safe workplaces, overtime pay and other regulations so it balances the power between employer and employee a little, helping YOU in your negotiations for other benefits and perks. Thats the point, a new minimum floor of benefits for workers improves the leverage of employees.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Not employers is like that. There are many employers who will never offer anything. That is the point!
Thanks!

Old 06-23-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
You mean they are off Sundays and the 4th of July. How lucky!

Old 06-23-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
You did make that up. Vacation is actually freedom to do lots of fun stuff. Forcing companies to pay for it is anything but freedom.
Yep, we live in a nation with laws and regulations. Anarchy is simply not in vogue anymore.

Quote:

You sound like a typical elitist. I bet you are affluent. My guess your entire life was funded by the taxpayer. You see no problem imposing your will on business owners because most people like you never worry about profit margins.
I never had to struggle because I was lucky to have good parents and a good profession. However, that does not prevent me to see how others struggle. I can also see how others mistreat their fellow humans or take advantage of them.

Ideally, employers should treat employees well with no intervention or laws, but as of now we are not that evolved. We are still in a barbaric stage where it is everyman for himself. Just watch one of those animals in the wild and see what I mean. However, if you look at the historical record you will immediately see that a sign of becoming civilized implies that we do not exploit others anymore and try to seek a just society for all. In other words the concept of MAX profits at all times is barbaric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies