Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:08 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,842,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
They may actually become more productive and increase the profit margin of the employer.

Ford factory workers get 40-hour week - May 01, 1926 - HISTORY.com
Was the 40 hour week MANDATED by government or did Ford make that decision on his own because he thought it was best for HIS PRIVATE BUSINESS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Can I include that in the right wing definition of FREEDOM?
No. Why are you ASSuming that every person with a different political viewpoint walks in lockstep on every issue. Are you in lockstep with everyone with your political bent?

I will let you in on a little secret about conservatives....we believe in INDIVIDUAL rights, NOT COLLECTIVISM. That means that we understand that every person has different values and definitions of what makes them happy and what they feel freedom means in their own lives.

Conservatives don't project or mandate their world view onto others. You should try it. It's really liberating not having that superiority complex that compels you to manage everyone else's lives and decisions for them.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:15 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
This is how competition works. I'm sure others quickly saw the light and followed Ford.
Honestly, I think many employers understand that vacation time is beneficial and that it enhances productivity. However, the workers are conditioned to the rat race and accept less vacation time. In other words, workers compete with each other to see who takes less time off and who works the longer hours. I guess one could say it is a cultural trait, but jobs are not plentiful at this time.

Quote:
Successful businesses require employers to take care of their employees to a certain degree, if conditions are not suitable those employees are more than free to leave and find employment elsewhere and eventually those businesses that don't take care of their employees go out of business because they cant get people to work for them and because their customers leave when they don't get good service.
You may have a point. My young daughter works in a small company and the owner is from Norway. The employees were told that vacation time was unlimited as long as the work was done. As expected hardly anyone takes extended vacations. The boss had a meeting to tell the employees they were expected to take at least 6-8 weeks vacation. The company also provides all benefits and the employees are fiercely loyal and dedicated. However, this is a very small company and I suspect large corporations are likely to be vastly different.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
No. Why are you ASSuming that every person with a different political viewpoint walks in lockstep on every issue. Are you in lockstep with everyone with your political bent?

I will let you in on a little secret about conservatives....we believe in INDIVIDUAL rights, NOT COLLECTIVISM. That means that we understand that every person has different values and definitions of what makes them happy and what they feel freedom means in their own lives.

Conservatives don't project or mandate their world view onto others. You should try it. It's really liberating not having that superiority complex that compels you to manage everyone else's lives and decisions for them.
Actually, I have been a conservative and I get your point. Individualism is great, but we do not exist in a vacuum. When humans join forces great things happen. It would be difficult to build highways without working together. BTW, I do not advocate an ant farm, I advocate a true COOP where the goal is to improve the quality of life.

Do you enjoy taking your kids to the local park, playing golf, driving the highway, etc? Many things we enjoy are the result of working together to accomplish something we could never do individually. We are not solitary animals and as such we need to find a better system that leads to a much better lifestyle.

Individualism is great for a lot of things, but there are times when an individual can do very little. In any event I would never advocate eradicating individualism. For example if you refuse to take vacation and want to work 52 weeks a year that would be your choice as an individual and no one would stop you from doing that.

If you do not want to conform to society at large that is also your right, but you may not be able to drive the highway if YOU do not follow the traffic LAW. Yes, there are some limitations to ultimate individualism.

Lastly: Outside a COOP system you would be limited in achieving your goals.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I think many employers understand that vacation time is beneficial and that it enhances productivity. However, the workers are conditioned to the rat race and accept less vacation time. In other words, workers compete with each other to see who takes less time off and who works the longer hours. I guess one could say it is a cultural trait, but jobs are not plentiful at this time.

You may have a point. My young daughter works in a small company and the owner is from Norway. The employees were told that vacation time was unlimited as long as the work was done. As expected hardly anyone takes extended vacations. The boss had a meeting to tell the employees they were expected to take at least 6-8 weeks vacation. The company also provides all benefits and the employees are fiercely loyal and dedicated. However, this is a very small company and I suspect large corporations are likely to be vastly different.
I think that is where your prejudice lies. Some examples of large corporation time off policies. Netflix offers unlimited time off with pay. Microsoft gives 6 months paid sabbaticals after 10 years of service. eBay gives 3 months paid sabbatical after 5 years of service. Most large corporation provide at least 2 weeks of paid vacation as well as paid sick leave and paid Holidays. Nintendo gives the week off between Christmas and New Year paid in addition to annual vacation time.

Other companies that give generous PTO benefits:

https://www.themuse.com/advice/10-aw...mited-vacation

7 tech companies with great vacation policies | Monster.com

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3043269/v...-dont-work-for

Fortune: 100 Best Companies to Work For

Maybe you should broaden your mind and see that Ebenezer Scrooge is a story, NOT reality. Also note that every company in the links above made these decisions WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INTRUSION OR MANDATES!!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Actually, I have been a conservative and I get your point. Individualism is great, but we do not exist in a vacuum. When humans join forces great things happen. It would be difficult to build highways without working together. BTW, I do not advocate an ant farm, I advocate a true COOP where the goal is to improve the quality of life.

Do you enjoy taking your kids to the local park, playing golf, driving the highway, etc? Many things we enjoy are the result of working together to accomplish something we could never do individually. We are not solitary animals and as such we need to find a better system that leads to a much better lifestyle.

Individualism is great for a lot of things, but there are times when an individual can do very little. In any event I would never advocate eradicating individualism. For example if you refuse to take vacation and want to work 52 weeks a year that would be your choice as an individual and no one would stop you from doing that.

If you do not want to conform to society at large that is also your right, but you may not be able to drive the highway if YOU do not follow the traffic LAW. Yes, there are some limitations to ultimate individualism.

Lastly: Outside a COOP system you would be limited in achieving your goals.
You are conflating government intervention with voluntary participation. No one disputes that it is commonsense for communities to work together to fund beneficial projects like roads and libraries and community centers, etc., but the basis of such an endeavor is to empower an entity (city counsel, etc.) to act on behalf of the community in such situations.

Example, individual people can't stand in front of their house all day protecting it from intruders or being at the ready in case of a fire, so the community determined that it made more sense to pay (collectively) some other entity to provide safety and protection in return for payment (tax dollars). BUT - and this is fundamental, the entities we have entrusted to work on our behalf are not granted ANY POWERS that we do not already possess!

I cannot MANDATE that a private company must pay its workers for two weeks a year for vacation and neither can the government. The true vision of a representative republic is that our representative should NEVER have more power than we as individuals have.

Admittedly, the progressives have completely twisted and destroyed that vision, but I still believe that this concept is foundational to true liberty and freedom.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I think that is where your prejudice lies. Some examples of large corporation time off policies. Netflix offers unlimited time off with pay. Microsoft gives 6 months paid sabbaticals after 10 years of service. eBay gives 3 months paid sabbatical after 5 years of service. Most large corporation provide at least 2 weeks of paid vacation as well as paid sick leave and paid Holidays. Nintendo gives the week off between Christmas and New Year paid in addition to annual vacation time.

Other companies that give generous PTO benefits:

https://www.themuse.com/advice/10-aw...mited-vacation

7 tech companies with great vacation policies | Monster.com

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3043269/v...-dont-work-for

Fortune: 100 Best Companies to Work For

Maybe you should broaden your mind and see that Ebenezer Scrooge is a story, NOT reality. Also note that every company in the links above made these decisions WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INTRUSION OR MANDATES!!
Yes, but 6 weeks vacation should be the norm for ALL. The companies you mention are basically full of millenials that desire a lot of time off and embrace the European style.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
You are conflating government intervention with voluntary participation. No one disputes that it is commonsense for communities to work together to fund beneficial projects like roads and libraries and community centers, etc., but the basis of such an endeavor is to empower an entity (city counsel, etc.) to act on behalf of the community in such situations.
If the government worked for the people things would be different. As of now the government works for the big interests and corporations and their goals are different than folks in a community.

Quote:
I cannot MANDATE that a private company must pay its workers for two weeks a year for vacation and neither can the government. The true vision of a representative republic is that our representative should NEVER have more power than we as individuals have.
I think mandating that workers be treated fairly is not a lot to ask. Time off is very important.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, but 6 weeks vacation should be the norm for ALL. The companies you mention are basically full of millenials that desire a lot of time off and embrace the European style.
Why? Because you say so? Your opinion is just that. You have never run a business or employed anyone have you?

Old 06-24-2016, 01:39 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Considering that the US has the least vacation time of any developed country in the world and the only country that doesnt guarantee workers at least some vacation time, do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?

When America Came 'This Close' to Establishing a 30-Hour Workweek | Alternet
The government has no business telling private companies to pay you for two or more weeks off. If it's important to you it should be a consideration when you decide to accept a job, just like health insurance, hours per week, flex time, sick leave, etc.. If companies want good people they offer more perks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies